Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, up from Lilli Pilli. Caught a tailor which was cut into strips, and it produced the fish - the jewie, gurnard and flounder. Pillies and squid produced undersized reddies, also a few trumpeter stealing the baits.

I was happy with that, so headed back to my mother's place ready to pull the boat up on the trolley. I had just tied up when some fish started splashing amongst the moored boats, so had to have a few casts. Pulled out the tailor after a couple of casts, dropped another and also a big salmon that jumped and unhooked itself. I was using a small 10 gram metal.

I let the lure sink to near the bottom for a few casts to see what was down deeper, then hooked the kingie. It put up a good fight on 12 pound mono, and a few anxious moments as it swam close to mooring ropes, just a matter of steering it away from the ropes and into the net.

The gurnard was still alive and kicking, so it was released, but the jewie was too far gone so it come home as fillets.

fish.jpeg.332_files_files.jpg

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great haul again. Well done.

Good feed there.

Cheers.

Thank you, will be a good feed.

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

That’s a different looking bay yowie! Quite a few feeds in that lot. Nice work 🤙

cheers scratchie!!!

Thank you. One of my brothers likes a feed of fish.

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great day out there Yowie, with the Kingie and the Jewie that will be lovely feeds for days!! Some top eating fish there mate.

Fish tonight and later in the week when my daughter and family visit.

52 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Awesome mixed bag.

Didnt even notice the flounder until i read your report !!! Good camouflage 

Thank you. The flounder certainly camouflages well with the concrete.

37 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Great job Yowie!

Got to start accumulating fish and crabs for Christmas! Bet you’re already onto it.

Thank you. Will be having a go next week before Christmas day.

• Like 1

what an absolute  feast !    question about the metal  lure , is it a good idea?   does it matter if those lures have a treble or a single hook in your opinion ,, because a lot of people  recomend changing the trebbles  to singles for salmon for some reason,   thank you for sharing 

4 hours ago, Restyle said:

good mixture of fish today! Just in time for crissy too!

I headed over to lilli pilli on monday morning for kings, nothing.

There are plenty of pillies jumping about, so no doubt there will be fish following.

4 hours ago, Max_fish said:

Wow what a haul, great stuff

Thank you.

2 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

That catch would be a nice Christmas present if I caught it.. Nice work.

I hope to be able to get out next week.

Thanks Bruce. A couple of nice fish for today.

Run-up tide next week so could be a few whiting about.

2 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

You always seem to snag a good feed. Your hard work pays off. Well done 🙂

Thank you. Waking up at 3am is not as easy these days for a grumpy old bastard.  🤣

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

You've gone up a few gears! Nice work Yowie, great to see the bigger predators jumping into your tinny! Must be happy with the day's catch:)

Very happy with today Rob. Was not expecting the kingie, however, they sometimes cruise under the tailor so dropping the lure down sometimes pays off.

1 hour ago, leonardgid said:

what an absolute  feast !    question about the metal  lure , is it a good idea?   does it matter if those lures have a treble or a single hook in your opinion ,, because a lot of people  recomend changing the trebbles  to singles for salmon for some reason,   thank you for sharing 

The treble on this lure is rather small. Think it is a Gillies blue pilchard, and the kingie had a belly full of anchovies about the same size.

I have tried changing the treble to a single hook, but still have had a few fish throw a metal with a single hook. Salmon and kingies have a hard mouth regarding small hooks, and the kingie today had the little treble buried in the corner of it's mouth - no way it was coming out.

In saying that, another tailor and a large salmon managed to spit the hook today. It just depends on where the treble lodges in the mouth, sometimes only in the lip which breaks eventually under pressure from the line.

Double rather than treble hooks may help, but have been hard to find lately.

Edited by Yowie
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

There are plenty of pillies jumping about, so no doubt there will be fish following.

Thank you.

Thanks Bruce. A couple of nice fish for today.

Run-up tide next week so could be a few whiting about.

Thank you. Waking up at 3am is not as easy these days for a grumpy old bastard.  🤣

Very happy with today Rob. Was not expecting the kingie, however, they sometimes cruise under the tailor so dropping the lure down sometimes pays off.

The treble on this lure is rather small. Think it is a Gillies blue pilchard, and the kingie had a belly full of anchovies about the same size.

I have tried changing the treble to a single hook, but still have had a few fish throw a metal with a single hook. Salmon and kingies have a hard mouth regarding small hooks, and the kingie today had the little treble buried in the corner of it's mouth - no way it was coming out.

In saying that, another tailor and a large salmon managed to spit the hook today. It just depends on where the treble lodges in the mouth, sometimes only in the lip which breaks eventually under pressure from the line.

Double rather than treble hooks may help, but have been hard to find lately.

thank you .

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Good one Dave - nice “fisherman’s basket” there. - Yowie does it again.

Thanks Bob. A handline caught jewie and the kingie swimming among the mooring lines for a bit of entertainment.

14 hours ago, Yowie said:

Yep. Cheap but effective.

A young guy at the tackle shop last summer recommended me those 10g lures for kings and I picked up a few in the silver and the white with lime stripe.

I would see schools of kings in the same place every week & throw different lures, but they wouldn’t take any.

He said when the kings are feeding on glassies to use that lure and also a specific clear small soft plastic - can’t remember what it’s called but I have a packet of them in the tackle box.

good to get confirmation it worked for you.

Edited by Larkin

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

A young guy at the tackle shop last summer recommended me those 10g lures for kings and I picked up a few in the silver and the white with lime stripe.

I would see schools of kings in the same place every week & throw different lures, but they wouldn’t take any.

He said when the kings are feeding on glassies to use that lure and also a specific clear small soft plastic - can’t remember what it’s called but I have a packet of them in the tackle box.

good to get confirmation it worked for you.

They do not work all the time for kingies. I usually pick the blue one, sometimes a white one.

As for tailor, if it moves past it's nose, it is something to grab and eat.

• Like 1