Exploring off Sydney plus a feed

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Its that time of year, my bottom bashing sessions are soon to come to an end and replace with the much painstaking yet very rewarding hunt for a beakie. 

Todays session was really just to see what the situation looks like offshore. 

First up. Trolled north head in the hope for a Bonito or King. No love there.

Fanged it to the FAD. Water temp, hot. 24 degrees but green. No dollies around. Even the babies or rat kingies no where to be seen yet.

We then did some reef hopping between Manly and Long reef finding the odd snapper, an Octopus and a single pearly. 

Fishing the 70-80 depth the current was running downhill HARD. There was a southerly breeze going so with boat and current going opposite directions it made getting to the bottom a little difficult.

On the way back we trolled from blue Fish point to north head again hoping for a Bonito but to no avail. Looks like they havent arrived yet.

On holidays from tomorrow and plan on doing a shit tonne of fishing over the holidays

Thx for reading 

20211221_180627.jpg

• Like 14

Top job Sam! Some very nice eating there but it’s rubbing a bit of salt in my wounds  Little Johnny and I were off shore yesterday- had a hard time with livies but eventually managed 20 in the tank. Then headed out turning south to try live baiting kings along various headlands. Eventually ended up at the Peak. All for a big fat Zero!

Back to school for me. 
cheers Zoran 

ps- best of luck with the beakie this season!

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 7:47 PM, Scratchie said:

A few snapper and a cracking pearlie!  Good to be out on the water aye Sam! Enjoy your holidays mate. Hope you head up here for another session! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers Jeff.  Feels good to be out on the water. Theres soemthing especially satiafying about going for a fish on a workday haha.

Will try to get up to port if i can.

On 12/22/2021 at 12:23 PM, jenno64 said:

Nice work! That pearl perch will be delicious!

thanks Jenno. Have caught a few over the years they are very good eating. Better than snapper id say.

On 12/22/2021 at 2:44 PM, Rebel said:

Some nice Snapper there.

Well done.

Have a great Holiday.

Cheers.

thanks Rebel. Likewise enjoy your holidays

22 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice bag of fish 👍and the occys a bonus - beautiful on the bbq with lemon and olive oil.

thanks Larkin. Im still trying to perfect my occy cooking. I always seem to make them chewy but my last one was OK.

On 12/21/2021 at 8:45 PM, masterfisho7 said:

well done looks like some nice fish

thanks masterfisho

On 12/21/2021 at 8:51 PM, Blackfish said:

Great Pearly for Sydney and a nice catch of Reds to.

cheers Blackfish. Some good eating there. All gone now. A few for the in laws. A few for mum and dad.

On 12/21/2021 at 9:47 PM, Yowie said:

Nice pearly amongst the other red colours. Perserverence paid off.

Cheers Yowie. It was a tough day but i enjoyed the trolling which i haven't done in a while.

On 12/21/2021 at 9:22 PM, leonardgid said:

what a catch !,  i would be very happy with that 

Thanks Leonardgid. We were happy with the end result but had to work hard to get it !

On 12/22/2021 at 8:49 AM, zmk1962 said:

Top job Sam! Some very nice eating there but it’s rubbing a bit of salt in my wounds  Little Johnny and I were off shore yesterday- had a hard time with livies but eventually managed 20 in the tank. Then headed out turning south to try live baiting kings along various headlands. Eventually ended up at the Peak. All for a big fat Zero!

Back to school for me. 
cheers Zoran 

ps- best of luck with the beakie this season!

Thats Kingie fishing Z !!! Very hit and miss i find. You should have stopped on the way in and fillet a few of those livies for snapper and flattiies.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:37 AM, Brendonjohnson said:

Awesome feed! I’ve always wanted to catch a pearly way up there on the to do list. 🤘

Thanks Brendan. Very good eating. Northern Beaches during summer will always have a few

On 12/22/2021 at 11:00 AM, Pickles said:

Nice going Sam, gotta love pearl perch - water must be warming up, so summer kings & Dollie’s not far away. Is the occie  for bait or eating?

Thanks Bob. Water was very warm. Occy is for eating. My son loves bbq octopus though i havent perfected my recipe yet.

32 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

thanks Larkin. Im still trying to perfect my occy cooking. I always seem to make them chewy but my last one was OK

Cut occy into pieces - Marinade in lemon juice (from a real lemon) for exactly half an hour before cooking. No more no less otherwise it will either be tough or over done. Toss every 10 mins through the process.

this will make the occy tender.

After exactly half an hour drain all lemon juice. I’ll slightly squeeze the excess lemon out or put on a paper towel.

rub in extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with oregano (get the mountain oregano from the fruit shops that’s still on the branches) makes a big diff. Salt and cracked black pepper.

slap it on the bbq

while on the bbq, baste with a brush - olive oil, lemon juice and oregano that you have pre mixed in a bowl.

don’t overcook.

Can also sprinkle with a few crumbs of a soft feta cheese when serving.

serve this with a leaf salad on the side 👍👍

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Larkin said:

Cut occy into pieces - Marinade in lemon juice (from a real lemon) for exactly half an hour before cooking. No more no less otherwise it will either be tough or over done. Toss every 10 mins through the process.

this will make the occy tender.

After exactly half an hour drain all lemon juice. I’ll slightly squeeze the excess lemon out or put on a paper towel.

rub in extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with oregano (get the mountain oregano from the fruit shops that’s still on the branches) makes a big diff. Salt and cracked black pepper.

slap it on the bbq

while on the bbq, baste with a brush - olive oil, lemon juice and oregano that you have pre mixed in a bowl.

don’t overcook.

Can also sprinkle with a few crumbs of a soft feta cheese when serving.

serve this with a leaf salad on the side 👍👍

Awesome. Love it. Will definitely give it a try