Whiting session with my boy

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders. Last day of work today and knocked off early so decided to take my son out for an afternoon fish. Target species was the humble yet very tasty whiting. Bait was tube worms.

Arrived around 7pm and fished till 10pm. Tide was very low when we arrived but it made finding the gutter super easy (you can see it clear as day in the background of the photo below) . The fishing was slow initially, a fish every 20 mins or so. But around 830pm the tide really started rising and we starting getting some good fish. Most of them around 30cm. Some nudging 40cm.

All up we managed a nice bag of 20 fish and my son Adam probably caught 7 of them. Very proud of him. 

Thx for reading

Sam

Screenshot_20211223-013412_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211223-013536_Gallery.jpg

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 19

• GoingFishing changed the title to Whiting session with my boy

Whiting were made for kids I reckon, good looking, good fight and just fun to catch in a great location, keep taking him fishing, there is just nothing in the world as good as a dad taking kids fishing...well except taking  grandkids fishing!

• Like 2

Comments are bang on! No better fish for a youngster to cut his teeth on! A couple of hours filleting and your Christmas dinner is sorted. As Yowie said at $50 per kilo for fillets that’s a great return on a bag of worms and your son is away from devices and COVID! Merry Christmas 🎅 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, noelm said:

Whiting were made for kids I reckon, good looking, good fight and just fun to catch in a great location, keep taking him fishing, there is just nothing in the world as good as a dad taking kids fishing...well except taking  grandkids fishing!

Totally agree Noel. They are simply just too much fun and, as long as your in the right place for them, so easy to catch. 

13 hours ago, leonardgid said:

wow!   i love this fish

Thanks mate me too. Very tasty

12 hours ago, Yowie said:

Great bag of whiting. Fun to catch, especially for kids, top of the range eating, those fillets would be saving you some good money if you had to buy them, and just in time for christmas.

Thanks Yowie. Adam had a really good time and when the bites slowed he went exploring the sand with his torch. Good fun.

10 hours ago, Rebel said:

Nothing better than fishing with your son.

Great haul. Super photos.

Well done.

Cheers.

Thanks Rebel. I cant wait to take him offshore. Hes been asking every time i go

10 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

You have him 'hooked' on the sport. Well done 🙂

Thanks Gordo. Started them young. 3 yrs old

9 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Comments are bang on! No better fish for a youngster to cut his teeth on! A couple of hours filleting and your Christmas dinner is sorted. As Yowie said at $50 per kilo for fillets that’s a great return on a bag of worms and your son is away from devices and COVID! Merry Christmas 🎅 

Thanks Jenno. They certainly are good eating. $40 bucks worth of worms probably turned out 7kg of fish last night.

9 hours ago, seasponge said:

Great session. Good looking gutter you found there!

Thanks Seasponge. It sure produced the goods 

9 hours ago, Pickles said:

Way to go Sam - great result, young bloke looks happy as’

Thanks Bob. He was stoked with his fish and even offered to help clean them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch 👍 mate. good feed of whiting there. 
Beach is always a good spot for the family- the youngsters get to run around a bit - wear em out - they always sleep well after that 

Thanks Larkin. 10 mins into the car ride home and theyre usually snoozing haha

On 12/23/2021 at 1:37 AM, GoingFishing said:

Gday Raiders. Last day of work today and knocked off early so decided to take my son out for an afternoon fish. Target species was the humble yet very tasty whiting. Bait was tube worms.

Arrived around 7pm and fished till 10pm. Tide was very low when we arrived but it made finding the gutter super easy (you can see it clear as day in the background of the photo below) . The fishing was slow initially, a fish every 20 mins or so. But around 830pm the tide really started rising and we starting getting some good fish. Most of them around 30cm. Some nudging 40cm.

All up we managed a nice bag of 20 fish and my son Adam probably caught 7 of them. Very proud of him. 

Thx for reading

Sam

Screenshot_20211223-013412_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211223-013536_Gallery.jpg

Really need to know what size sinker and hook and rig are used for whitting. If you don’t mind me asking.

as I’m hopeless at targeting these😂

many thanks

On 12/24/2021 at 6:37 PM, 61 crusher said:

Wow what a great feed of whiting & that smile on his dial just makes it even better 😎

Thanks Crusher. He sure enjoyed himself 😊

10 hours ago, papafish said:

Really need to know what size sinker and hook and rig are used for whitting. If you don’t mind me asking.

as I’m hopeless at targeting these😂

many thanks

Hey papafish. Its really simple hey ! Size 6 longshank hook. Red color.

1 metre of 12lb mono trace to a swivel. And then the smallest ball sinker u can get away with.

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Thanks Crusher. He sure enjoyed himself 😊

Hey papafish. Its really simple hey ! Size 6 longshank hook. Red color.

1 metre of 12lb mono trace to a swivel. And then the smallest ball sinker u can get away with.

Sounds easy, I tried at the lake, near the mouth opening to the beach, water were coming in easily 20-30kms a hr😂 so fast sinker couldn’t hold, I gave up after 30min😂 maybe I stuff up bad. Bad spot

3 minutes ago, papafish said:

Sounds easy, I tried at the lake, near the mouth opening to the beach, water were coming in easily 20-30kms a hr😂 so fast sinker couldn’t hold, I gave up after 30min😂 maybe I stuff up bad. Bad spot

Try looking for gutters along the beach. If you look at the photo behind @GoingFishing's son, you'll see that there is a patch of calm water in front of the breakers - a classic example of a gutter. That's where the fish often will be found. Also, try packing light and moving around a bit - one light rod each, a small tacklebox and a bag for your fish. Move between gutters if there are multiple until you find fish. Also fish at various points in the gutter; cast to the back of it and then wind slowly to your feet. Don't be surprised if you find the fish right in the white wash at your feet 1m away.

Even though I'm not awesome at it, this is one of my favourite kinds of fishing. In fact, any kind of fishing where I have sand and water at my feet, I really enjoy. If only I didn't live so far from the beach!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Try looking for gutters along the beach. If you look at the photo behind @GoingFishing's son, you'll see that there is a patch of calm water in front of the breakers - a classic example of a gutter. That's where the fish often will be found. Also, try packing light and moving around a bit - one light rod each, a small tacklebox and a bag for your fish. Move between gutters if there are multiple until you find fish. Also fish at various points in the gutter; cast to the back of it and then wind slowly to your feet. Don't be surprised if you find the fish right in the white wash at your feet 1m away.

Even though I'm not awesome at it, this is one of my favourite kinds of fishing. In fact, any kind of fishing where I have sand and water at my feet, I really enjoy. If only I didn't live so far from the beach!

Very well described 

1 hour ago, bessell1955 said:

What a way to spend quality time with your son.  Great work. :1clap:

Thanks mate

7 hours ago, Welster said:

Very nice Sam.  Quality time with your son and tasty fillets it doesn't get much better.  

Thanks Welster. Totally agree. Love spending time with the kids especially if it involves fishing!

5 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Now that’s a memorable fishing session- Adam’s smile says it all… but I bet your smile was just as big if not  bigger Sam. The start of many adventures- enjoy.

Cheers Zoran 

PS- Just catching up on past posts

Thanks Z. I was very proud of him. A good memory for the archive of 2021 ( as opposed to the rest!!)

• Like 1