Great day on snapper and Jewies in God’s great outdoors.

Pickles

I’ve been trying to get up to see my buddy Mick at Port Stevens in @Scratchieterritory for several weeks, but the weather has been crook, but there was a window yesterday and so buddy Steve and I left at 2am to be fishing at first light (6.30) as we were going 20ks off shore to chase Snapper and Jewies / Trag.

The pressure was high (1024hp) moon phase was good, tidal coefficient was 33% (meaning tidal flow on sea bed was low and thus current and “drift” SHOULD be slow - important that far off shore as a fast drift means a heavy sinker, making bites hard to feel, even with braid), swell was low, wind was gentle, water was warm (25.5) clear and cobalt blue AND I had a new hat (and remembered 🍌) There was a predicted low pressure front coming late on Thursday and early on Friday (replacing the high of 1024 hectopascals for Thursday). Some of my best fishing has been on a high with approaching low / storm to follow.

Conditions could not have been more perfect and Mick had a job cancellation and Steve was happy to drive - The Blessings we’re about to abound and abound they did.

I had been out on Wednesday to Broken Bay on a bait collecting expedition and had 40-50 fresh Yakkas and slimies (and one Bonito), but no squid (not one of my favourite off shore baits, but dynamite inside, especially for kings). Just as well we had so much bait as we had a cracker of a day.

Total “keep”  (we let anything under 45, including Trag whose legal size is 38) was.

19 snapper (biggest 78), 1 Jewie (88), 1 Trag (78- biggest Trag I’ve caught), 9 Nannigai, 1 blue Morwong.

On the way back I spotted a Marlin and several game boats were pulling skirts, so we dropped the Bonito behind and slow trolled back towards Broughton Is - It went off, but no hookup, probably just as well,, as we only had spinning gear.

It was a great day with mates in Gods great outdoors.

06AD4288-6B77-4264-A13F-B83B3D24AAD8.jpeg

4E8C3CEA-6378-4BDF-9B09-716792BB45BB.jpeg

8C5F7FED-CD3E-44D3-AE2B-308C2803CF0E.jpeg

151887E8-22AB-4570-A255-8C6317950A61.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Pics
  • Like 22

• Pickles changed the title to Great day on snapper and Jewies in God’s great outdoors.

Great day on the water Bob and Steve. Lots of good eating in that lot. Not often you get perfect conditions, but when you do, you're always ready to take advantage. Same in Murray Cod fishing re the storm being imminent...always brings them on the bite. Nice hat by the way. bn

That’s a great haul. Plenty of places to target in Port Stephens. Glad you had a good trip up here! Can’t say I venture that far out to chase snapper. Prefer the 6-15m of water myself. A lot easier on the arms! Lol 😝 Well done 👍 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

That’s a great haul. Plenty of places to target in Port Stephens. Glad you had a good trip up here! Can’t say I venture that far out to chase snapper. Prefer the 6-15m of water myself. A lot easier on the arms! Lol 😝 Well done 👍 

cheers scratchie!!! 

I’d love to catch up for a “Scratchie Master class” with plastics Jeff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great day on the water Bob and Steve. Lots of good eating in that lot. Not often you get perfect conditions, but when you do, you're always ready to take advantage. Same in Murray Cod fishing re the storm being imminent...always brings them on the bite. Nice hat by the way. bn

Cheers Neil,

11 hours ago, Yowie said:

Looks like a fantastic day out Bob, the sea conditions in the photos are what you need. A great feed of reds, better eating than the other fish you caught.

Agree Dave, although I don’t mind the jewfish, rate it above Snapper.

11 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Verry nice bag of fish there pickles and plenty of feeds. Fresh bait always works and you always prove it.

Maybe if I wasn't lazy enough to get some maybe I could catch some fish.

Live bait make all the difference @Isaac Ct, it’s worth the effort and almost as much fun as catching target species.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, frankS said:

Well done Bob, I need to get up there myself some time soon.

Is that Steve ( Tunaking ) from my old site " Fishnet " ? If so say hello from me " Nimrod " .

Frank

No. Different Steve, a pity the “Fishnet” folded😞

Wow, Nice haul of snapper there, @Pickles.

A question, if I may, regarding fishing for snapper? What sort of bottom features are you looking for on the sounder? I’ve read the articles on the forum and also looked online, but never had much luck sounding up (or catching) the fish.

There is so much information out there, and much of it is conflicting.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Nutz said:

Wow, Nice haul of snapper there, @Pickles.

A question, if I may, regarding fishing for snapper? What sort of bottom features are you looking for on the sounder? I’ve read the articles on the forum and also looked online, but never had much luck sounding up (or catching) the fish.

There is so much information out there, and much of it is conflicting.

Cheers.

I always look for structure, especially a drop off onto sand/gravel, I don't look for Snapper to appear on the screen as such, just where they might be. Nice catch by the way, but a bag of ice might have been prudent?