Kingies and giant Yakkas in the harbour today

Pickles

Buddy Dave rang on Wednesday arvo with the tempting offer to tow the boat and get out fishing today (Thursday). I suggested the Hawkesbury for Jewies, but Dave was keen to get some Kingies.
When we arrived at the ramp at 5.30am,the car park was full of cars taking up the trailer spaces, the ramp was congested with trucks and the preparation area covered with tents. Turns out, NETFLIX was filming for a new series to be aired next year. They apologised for the congestion, but it didn’t really impact us and there were very few boats on the harbour, so all good.

The plan was to get some livies and head out side, but the prediction was wrong (again) and the swell and wind chop was ugly, so we headed back into calmer water aiming further upstream toward the city.  “When the plan isn’t working, don’t change your goal, change your plan”. 
The live bait was easy to get and met a fellow Raider (in a Viking ‘Yak) who  I invited  to tow in our burley trail and get into the Yakkas. He recognised that and asked if I had my banana with me (showed him 2 that I had on board). I asked his avatar, but he was a reader not a “member”. A pity some are happy to read and not willing to share their exploits - all adds to our knowledge base, so come on folks - write a report and share the love.

A few of the spots we targeted had what I thought were rat kings in the burley trail, but turned out to be monster Yakkas (Cowanyoung / Jack mackerel). These were excellent stripbaits and we kept 1/2 dozen for sashimi - if you haven’t tried them, skinned, filleted de- boned and with a dash of soy and ginger, they are spectacular.

We we’re blessed with some nice kings, and a 75cm hooked and landed on 15lb mono (had this for Jewies and probably wasn’t the best move I’ve made to target Kingies - but God was good) it was a feat indeed and goes to prove if you go gently, they go gently. You go hard and they go hard. 

The squid and Yakkas  are getting bigger and more aggressive as we head for winter - and so are the kingfish.

E944A600-8A54-4678-BA04-E8E03FEE20E1.jpeg

3B96C3B9-5BA5-43AF-BE9D-7365C36BB5D1.jpeg

9EB2B1E7-9093-4814-9AC2-F43FB9DFB8FC.jpeg

484B6E17-82FA-4271-B479-9EE99B6E1376.jpeg

CC72D571-A2AD-4C83-B899-0F95F2666684.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Phot add
  • Like 13

Great report Bob and good to see you are back to real bananas on board :D

Yakkas/Cowanyoung as sashimi is a very poorly kept secret and is definitely worth doing if you can get some good sized ones. Makes me feel like putting the lures away and heading to the lower harbour to chase some down!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Great report Bob and good to see you are back to real bananas on board :D

Yakkas/Cowanyoung as sashimi is a very poorly kept secret and is definitely worth doing if you can get some good sized ones. Makes me feel like putting the lures away and heading to the lower harbour to chase some down!

They at seriously massive - 35-40cm, like the big deep water reef ones you occasionally get off shore.

• Like 1

Nice kingies Bob, but that banana is really way past eating :puke: , it looks really dead.

I have caught cowanyoung before, up to 40cm on 3 pound line, and they fight hard, and make great strip baits.

Don't know what they do at the Bureau of Meteorology to predict the weather, maybe throw darts at photos on a board. 🤣 The swell forecast was for hazardous surf and swell on Tuesday but the waves at Wanda Beach were rather small.