No Kingies, but Snapper off Sydney - first time out in 5 weeks

Pickles

Hey Scratchie, I’ve cracked the snapper on plastics code - got 5 today (Vibeliscious).

First time out in over a month (with buddy & ex- student Aiden),  as I’ve been repairing farm damage after the floods. All fish caught at Long reef wide. Water temp was 18.6 - pretty warm for this time of year. Burleyed up with pillies and threw back unweighted into the burley. Also got a swag of Trevally in 35-45cm range and 10 yellowfin pike. Unfortunately no Kingies anywhere. My pals who run charters in Sydney harbour (can’t mention names as contravenes rules), didn’t catch one amongst the 4 of them, but plenty of blackfish around the inner city wharves around Harbourbridge - all Ludderick caught on “cabbage” (ulna) weed.

The wind was direct Northerly and 30-40kts, so very unpleasant, but overcast conditions meant it wasn’t cold and although it looked like it could rain, we stayed dry all day.

Heading out again on Friday if the weather holds to chase Ludderick - where it started for me 40 years ago.

5D0EC33C-54B5-4624-AA4F-A3DCB55FA192.jpeg

84C581C6-6A9A-41EB-9382-99A0440262B4.jpeg

• Like 22

Well done Bob. Coupla nice Snapper there. Hope you have a successful trip on Friday with the Blackfishing. Great fun and one of my favourite fishing targets. Would be nice to believe that you don't have any more flood issues for a while, it must be a costly exercise in both time and money. Hi to Julie, looking forward to catching up, maybe in late September. Keep well mate and keep fishing. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

Hey Scratchie, I’ve cracked the snapper on plastics code - got 5 today (Vibeliscious).

First time out in over a month (with buddy & ex- student Aiden),  as I’ve been repairing farm damage after the floods. All fish caught at Long reef wide. Water temp was 18.6 - pretty warm for this time of year. Burleyed up with pillies and threw back unweighted into the burley. Also got a swag of Trevally in 35-45cm range and 10 yellowfin pike. Unfortunately no Kingies anywhere. My pals who run charters in Sydney harbour (can’t mention names as contravenes rules), didn’t catch one amongst the 4 of them, but plenty of blackfish around the inner city wharves around Harbourbridge - all Ludderick caught on “cabbage” (ulna) weed.

The wind was direct Northerly and 30-40kts, so very unpleasant, but overcast conditions meant it wasn’t cold and although it looked like it could rain, we stayed dry all day.

Heading out again on Friday if the weather holds to chase Ludderick - where it started for me 40 years ago.

5D0EC33C-54B5-4624-AA4F-A3DCB55FA192.jpeg

84C581C6-6A9A-41EB-9382-99A0440262B4.jpeg

Yeah the vibelicious are killer on snapper, did you get most of them on the sink? All the snapper I got on my vibelicious were on the drop after I casted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlbertW said:

Yeah the vibelicious are killer on snapper, did you get most of them on the sink? All the snapper I got on my vibelicious were on the drop after I casted.

Albert, I shoved the rod in the holder and let the wave action do the work - didn’t touch - don’t what all the fuss is about SP’s.

15 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work Bob! I know the feeling about not getting out fishing in a while. Driving me crazy! 
That’s a good snaps mate! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Jeff - Just got to work out a good way to cook them now - I gave all but one away to my mate 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, big Neil said:

Well done Bob. Coupla nice Snapper there. Hope you have a successful trip on Friday with the Blackfishing. Great fun and one of my favourite fishing targets. Would be nice to believe that you don't have any more flood issues for a while, it must be a costly exercise in both time and money. Hi to Julie, looking forward to catching up, maybe in late September. Keep well mate and keep fishing. Cheers, bn

Looking forward to catching up Neil

5 hours ago, frankS said:

Well done Bob, great to see you back on the water and getting among them, nice Snapper and on plastics is a double plus.

Frank

Cheers Frank - hope you’re doing OK mate.

17 hours ago, Yowie said:

Great looking reddies there Bob. Another good day out and worth the effort of the weather conditions. 

Thanks Dave - great day on the water, hope you’re getting chance to get out a bit?

35 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Thanks Dave - great day on the water, hope you’re getting chance to get out a bit?

I am getting out, when the weather is good enough. Hooking up the van in 2 weeks then heading north a bit for a few weeks.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 2:24 PM, Yowie said:

I am getting out, when the weather is good enough. Hooking up the van in 2 weeks then heading north a bit for a few weeks.

Enjoy Dave - look forward to your northern reports.