Farewell to a Fishraider

Oscarthebeagle

Ash, I have already sent you an earlier message. Bruce was a good bloke, having spoken to him a number of times.

On the last outing I saw him fishing, he was anchored at Maianbar, fishing for whiting with the grandkids. I motored along and anchored nearby. I waded about for some nippers, then fished out a few whiting. 

I returned to my boat, unhooked a fish, re-baited then turned around and saw Bruce wading through the area I was fishing. He had a big grin on his face. I don't know whether he was trying to catch my fish, or scare them away from me. The cheeky bugger. 😁

One thing about Bruce, he knew a few of my fishing spots, but said he would not tell anyone else about them (except for maybe his family) 👍

R.I.P.

• Like 7

Ash

I am very sorry to hear of Bruce's passing. I met him a couple of times at Weipa including this year when we waved to each other briefly when he and possibly you and the grandkids were fishing Boyd Point  and I watched Bruce bring in a very respectable queenie. I learnt about Weipa from his posts on Fishraider and he gave me plenty of helpful information to get me started in that first year (2009). I've been coming every year since (except the covid years).

I sent him a message after this year's trip  and was wondering why he hadn't responded then I saw your post of your recent trip to SWR and assumed he was up there still and hadn't been on the web.

I always enjoyed his informative posts even though I'm on the Northern Beaches and not familiar with his usual fishing spots. He was clearly a good fisherman and he shared his knowledge with others . I know he was very pleased to be taking you and the grandkids to Weipa this year and he spoke of the kids excitement during the planning stage.

I'm glad you had one last trip with him on the blackfish up north and it sounded like a good time was had by you both. I'm sure you will look back on those happy times for years to come.

Phil

• Like 3

On 9/19/2022 at 12:48 PM, Oscarthebeagle said:

Hi

It is with sadness that I announce that my Father @hookerbruce sadly passed away last week.

His actual name was Bruce Robinson he was a fine fisherman and a wonderful person.

He enjoyed this forum and posted to this site for over a decade, I don't know who he actually msged with on here, but I thought it was best to make a post to let people know what has happen.

He loved his fishing and passed on that love to his Brothers-in-laws, his children, his grandchildren and many friends. He was always happy to talk fishing and loved every aspect of the sport from simple fishing trips on his local Port Hacking to chasing exotic species in Northern Australia. He was perhaps happiest at South West Rocks with his last fishing trip, in early August this year, being chasing Blackfish off the wall there.

He shared his knowledge with many and will be missed by all who knew him.

Thankyou for reading, if you get a chance maybe have a read of some of his old reports.

As a favour to him and me next time you are frustrated and haven't fished for ages, take the next sunny day and just go, there is no guarantee you will get that chance later.

Ash.

IMG_5609-2.JPG

Lovely Post, cherish the memories

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou all for reading the post and your your kind words. 

Not sure if it's true or not but it is a lovely thought that he is in now a happy place where one of his old fishing friends was waiting at the ramp to head out fishing together. He might even get that big Dolphin fish that eluded him!!

On 9/25/2022 at 8:15 AM, Yowie said:

Ash, I have already sent you an earlier message. Bruce was a good bloke, having spoken to him a number of times.

On the last outing I saw him fishing, he was anchored at Maianbar, fishing for whiting with the grandkids. I motored along and anchored nearby. I waded about for some nippers, then fished out a few whiting. 

I returned to my boat, unhooked a fish, re-baited then turned around and saw Bruce wading through the area I was fishing. He had a big grin on his face. I don't know whether he was trying to catch my fish, or scare them away from me. The cheeky bugger. 😁

One thing about Bruce, he knew a few of my fishing spots, but said he would not tell anyone else about them (except for maybe his family) 👍

R.I.P.

Yowie, if dad was poking fun at you and casting in your spot it means he probably liked you and thought you a friend. You two would have crossed paths many times over the 40+ years he fished the Hacking before you meeting through this site.

On 9/25/2022 at 7:07 PM, LuckyFil said:

Ash

I am very sorry to hear of Bruce's passing. I met him a couple of times at Weipa including this year when we waved to each other briefly when he and possibly you and the grandkids were fishing Boyd Point  and I watched Bruce bring in a very respectable queenie. I learnt about Weipa from his posts on Fishraider and he gave me plenty of helpful information to get me started in that first year (2009). I've been coming every year since (except the covid years).

I sent him a message after this year's trip  and was wondering why he hadn't responded then I saw your post of your recent trip to SWR and assumed he was up there still and hadn't been on the web.

I always enjoyed his informative posts even though I'm on the Northern Beaches and not familiar with his usual fishing spots. He was clearly a good fisherman and he shared his knowledge with others . I know he was very pleased to be taking you and the grandkids to Weipa this year and he spoke of the kids excitement during the planning stage.

I'm glad you had one last trip with him on the blackfish up north and it sounded like a good time was had by you both. I'm sure you will look back on those happy times for years to come.

Phil

Phil, Weipa was one of dads favourite places to go and i'm sure he loved chatting about it. Our first trip up there was about 20 years ago fishing with a guide doing day trips and from then on he visited most years doing the houseboat hire. He loved the peace and opportunity that staying on the houseboat provided and I think he really enjoyed the challenge of figuring the fishing out on his own rather than being told where to cast what lure by a guide. I remember him being annoyed one year when a local guide saw us in our Red Cliffs Barra spot only the guide to beat us to that spot the next day.

The most recent trip it was my brother and his boys fishing, my brothers eldest kid posts on here as @kobi caught a fish. Bruce was very excited for this trip and most of our family discussions for the 6 months before revolved around this trip and planning for it. Including a fun afternoon in the backyard trying to teach the boys how to throw a cast net. Unfortunately my boys ( 6 & 8 ) were still just too young for the houseboat trip and will do a trip in a few years time in his memory rather than with him.

On a side note Bruce passed away from an Asbestos related cancer, he was diagnosed just over a year ago. For those of us that work with this stuff take the safety measure seriously, it is horrible stuff and it robbed my father of years of his life.

Ash

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

Yowie, if dad was poking fun at you and casting in your spot it means he probably liked you and thought you a friend. You two would have crossed paths many times over the 40+ years he fished the Hacking before you meeting through this site.

Ash

Your dad said he had seen this bloke fishing in  the same spots over the years, then eventually found out it was me.

I was heading to Weipa with him last year, flights and accommodation booked, tackle purchased, then covid stuffed it all. A shame that happened, then the trip cancelled. Yes, he was a friend.

Dave.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Oscarthebeagle said:

Thankyou all for reading the post and your your kind words. 

Not sure if it's true or not but it is a lovely thought that he is in now a happy place where one of his old fishing friends was waiting at the ramp to head out fishing together. He might even get that big Dolphin fish that eluded him!!

Phil, Weipa was one of dads favourite places to go and i'm sure he loved chatting about it. Our first trip up there was about 20 years ago fishing with a guide doing day trips and from then on he visited most years doing the houseboat hire. He loved the peace and opportunity that staying on the houseboat provided and I think he really enjoyed the challenge of figuring the fishing out on his own rather than being told where to cast what lure by a guide. I remember him being annoyed one year when a local guide saw us in our Red Cliffs Barra spot only the guide to beat us to that spot the next day.

The most recent trip it was my brother and his boys fishing, my brothers eldest kid posts on here as @kobi caught a fish. Bruce was very excited for this trip and most of our family discussions for the 6 months before revolved around this trip and planning for it. Including a fun afternoon in the backyard trying to teach the boys how to throw a cast net. Unfortunately my boys ( 6 & 8 ) were still just too young for the houseboat trip and will do a trip in a few years time in his memory rather than with him.

On a side note Bruce passed away from an Asbestos related cancer, he was diagnosed just over a year ago. For those of us that work with this stuff take the safety measure seriously, it is horrible stuff and it robbed my father of years of his life.

Ash

Ash

thanks for your post about Bruce and explaining the family relationships re the Weipa trips .
Funny we had a similar experience with the guides when we’ve beaten them to the spots at Red Cliffs.

Very sorry to hear the cause of your Dad’s passing. I recall thinking he didn’t look well in one of pics in a recent post. Appreciate your warning about asbestos, it’s in many houses still and a timely reminder for us all to be careful when dealing with it.

All the best and hope to see you one day in Weipa.

Phil

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 12:48 PM, Oscarthebeagle said:

Hi

It is with sadness that I announce that my Father @hookerbruce sadly passed away last week.

His actual name was Bruce Robinson he was a fine fisherman and a wonderful person.

He enjoyed this forum and posted to this site for over a decade, I don't know who he actually msged with on here, but I thought it was best to make a post to let people know what has happen.

He loved his fishing and passed on that love to his Brothers-in-laws, his children, his grandchildren and many friends. He was always happy to talk fishing and loved every aspect of the sport from simple fishing trips on his local Port Hacking to chasing exotic species in Northern Australia. He was perhaps happiest at South West Rocks with his last fishing trip, in early August this year, being chasing Blackfish off the wall there.

He shared his knowledge with many and will be missed by all who knew him.

Thankyou for reading, if you get a chance maybe have a read of some of his old reports.

As a favour to him and me next time you are frustrated and haven't fished for ages, take the next sunny day and just go, there is no guarantee you will get that chance later.

Ash.

IMG_5609-2.JPG

Many condolences to you and your family ❤️

• Like 1