Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to the deep water near Lilli Pilli. Very few other boats about until near sunrise, and then not many.

Pulled up the tailor, flattie and gurnard, on a mixture of baits. The spot was full of reddies, taking the baits soon after casting out, and the biggest was 29cm. One unusual catch was a teraglin, just a little one at 29cm. I caught a trag up river many years ago, that was a bit bigger in the mid 40's. Only the 2 I have ever caught up river.

Pumped some nippers and drifted the main channel on the run-up for not a bite, so headed to Lilli Pilli flats and pulled out the bream. They were scattered, some time between bites as I was drifting. Had one last cast and pulled out the whiting, and it was rather gold coloured along the back, that does not really show in the photo.

fish.jpeg.377_files_files_files.jpg

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 20

21 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Well you did better than us at Windang. 
No crabs, no flatties or any other marine life here.

Locals said it has been like that for a while. 

That is a bugger. The fish should be on now. It was always a good place leading up to christmas and beyond.

Many years since I fished there. I always found flatties, and the odd whiting, at the drop-off near Bevan Island. I never fished the main lake, I fished mostly in different places along the channel.

The back channel - on the southern side around the bridge - has probably silted up now, but it was always good for the odd flattie and some big bream. On the eastern side there was a sandbank with a little drop-off into deeper water. I also fished on the southern side of the main channel along the edge or on the bank at higher tides, in the clear patches amongst the weed beds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

The Yowie seafood platter specials are back on the menu🙂Nice bag Dave, I'm back at work now so trips for me might only be a day on the weekend burleying for jet skis🙄

Thanks Rob. Happy with a bag of fish. There were 2 jet skis roaring through the channel, both had rods on board.

36 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Nice bag Yowie! 

not many legal reds in the river this year, but looks like there’s a few bream about.

Usually there would be a legal red or 2 by this time of year, not so far. Shame the trag was not a legal one.

34 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Nicely done Dave .. again. 
Can I guess what is for dinner ?? Bet Mrs Yowie was happy!

cheers Zoran 

She was happy again. 🤣 more fish.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Well you did better than us at Windang. 
No crabs, no flatties or any other marine life here.

Locals said it has been like that for a while. 

No wonder we didn’t do to well either.We are hopeless but nearly always at least get one good flatty,bream and heaps of undersize there.

8 hours ago, Yowie said:

That is a bugger. The fish should be on now. It was always a good place leading up to christmas and beyond.

Many years since I fished there. I always found flatties, and the odd whiting, at the drop-off near Bevan Island. I never fished the main lake, I fished mostly in different places along the channel.

The back channel - on the southern side around the bridge - has probably silted up now, but it was always good for the odd flattie and some big bream. On the eastern side there was a sandbank with a little drop-off into deeper water. I also fished on the southern side of the main channel along the edge or on the bank at higher tides, in the clear patches amongst the weed beds.

You probably wouldn’t even recognise the place now mate.I’ve been going since 86 and it’s changed a lot.You would have seen alot more changes than me and I bet the Hacking has changed alot too since you were a kid and I bet not for the better.

I nearly got swept away when you had to cross through water to get to Windang island back in the 80,s.

The current races through there now and it’s pretty crap for drifting on the outgoing tide now as you go 100 mph.

Edited by Fab1
  • Like 1

I see what you mean about the whiting it looks quite golden. Looks like a scar on its back too.

Yeah trags are funny fish, I’ve never caught one in an estuary but I was fishing for snapper (hand lines) with my Dad and brother many years ago off Palm Beach and a school of trags moved under us and they went crazy, we caught dozens and dozens in quick time. They we’re taking any baits and even bare hooks at times. Then they just shut down. Only time I’ve caught them.

Fil

8 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

I see what you mean about the whiting it looks quite golden. Looks like a scar on its back too.

Yeah trags are funny fish, I’ve never caught one in an estuary but I was fishing for snapper (hand lines) with my Dad and brother many years ago off Palm Beach and a school of trags moved under us and they went crazy, we caught dozens and dozens in quick time. They we’re taking any baits and even bare hooks at times. Then they just shut down. Only time I’ve caught them.

Fil

Yep, a scar on the back of the whiting, only on one side.

I prefer the trag a little more than a jewie on the plate.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kantong said:

well done @Yowie another great feed. where you pump nippers, is that accessible land based without a boat?

Usually at Maianbar. It can be reached by vehicle, but you need to drive into the Royal National Park towards Bundeena, or Grays Point is another location accessible by vehicle.

• Like 1