Big Neil and a very unusual “double”

Pickles

@big Neilwanted to slip out for a quick flick before heading off to spend Christmas with his family. So we rigged up the new Tinnie and headed to Colo / Deerubbin. In the past 2 days we’ve pulled out about 30- 40 Bass, but today we landed a 50 cm Flattie and a 32cm Rainbow Trout, both on a solid black small FeralCatt lures at the mouth of the Colo, as well as a dozen nice Bass. We were under strict instructions from Mrs Pickles to be home by 9am, (pre-Christmas family lunch)  which meant leaving the water by 8.30pm - Mission accomplished.

C8FB1763-10E0-4FD1-981D-C318D4A95A3F.jpeg

1633738C-7DCD-494E-8885-F7D02D559AB4.jpeg

9D2DA8EB-91BC-47B1-B769-93D7BD5108FA.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Addition
  • Like 19

3 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Great report, slaying the bass at the moment!

FYI trout have soft mouths, so if you plan on releasing its better to hold them with one hand on the body and the other one the tail to control the fish. 

Nope - this one is for the pan - First trout I’ve caught and never eaten one before, so going to give it a try, but thanks for the intel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Now that is an unusual double...hoe brackish is that water?

Water is fresh there (river pumps for irrigation and house water)

58 minutes ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Well done on the session, great to get out with another raider.

28 minutes ago, Vara said:

Unusual when I read the topic not in my wildest dreams would I hve called you taking a rainbow trout and a flat head from the same waters.

well done I think but seriously that’s nuts 

Can’t agree more @Varawho would have figured.

2 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Trout and Bass from the same water, no unusual, but to add a Flathead, that's unreal. If you have not yet cooked the trout try smoking it, I smoked up 4 yesterday ready for Christmas dinner. 🙂

Cheers Gordo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, antr said:

Hi pickles,great catch everyone is talking about the trout ,how does a flathead taste from fresh to brackish water? is it different?? Cheers 

5 hours ago, antr said:

Hi pickles,great catch everyone is talking about the trout ,how does a flathead taste from fresh to brackish water? is it different?? Cheers 

Hey @antr, I was surprised at how well the flattie tasted as I was expecting it to be pretty ordinary, however as it was stuffed full of prawns (and the prawns are feeding in the fresh too), I guess most food stuff is a function of the “fuel” they input, so anything that eats prawns is going to taste pretty good.

Just managed to get the laptop up and running, hence the late reports. Have  been busy catching up with relos  and driving. Having a lovely time in the Hunter Valley...no fishing but lovely catching up.

Many thanks to Pickles (and Julie) for the 3 consecutive days on the water. Fish of some description on each day. No Kingies, but great fun in the Colo region doing what I really enjoy. (Casting lures and multiple hook ups). Bob's new boat needs a little TLC but it will soon be ship - shape and killing the piscatorial critters in the Upper Hawkesbury and surrounds.

A few more days in the HV and then back to Sydney for a brief visit before heading home for New Year.

Lovely time Bob, thank you muchly. No doubt the Kingies will be jumping in the boat next time you chase them.

HAPPY NEW YEAR RAIDERS. Keep safe and tight lines.

bn

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, big Neil said:

Just managed to get the laptop up and running, hence the late reports. Have  been busy catching up with relos  and driving. Having a lovely time in the Hunter Valley...no fishing but lovely catching up.

Many thanks to Pickles (and Julie) for the 3 consecutive days on the water. Fish of some description on each day. No Kingies, but great fun in the Colo region doing what I really enjoy. (Casting lures and multiple hook ups). Bob's new boat needs a little TLC but it will soon be ship - shape and killing the piscatorial critters in the Upper Hawkesbury and surrounds.

A few more days in the HV and then back to Sydney for a brief visit before heading home for New Year.

Lovely time Bob, thank you muchly. No doubt the Kingies will be jumping in the boat next time you chase them.

HAPPY NEW YEAR RAIDERS. Keep safe and tight lines.

bn

Blessings Neil, always a pleasure and you’re always welcome to stay.