Burrill Lake 2nd - 5th

Jo5hC

Went to Burrill lake camping with the fam and wanted to try out topwater fishing for the first time. 

Day 1:

Arrived at the park where we were camping pretty late so I just fished from the jetty in the campsite. Using a Slippery dog 65mm and got one hit from what I think was a bream but did not manage to hook it. I also saw a couple flatties swimming underneath the jetty at night which was quite interesting. Seems like they were attracted by the lights.

Day 2: 

Woke up early and decided to go for a fish at the jetty and a tailor smashed the topwater (sorry no photo). Later in the day my dad and I went to try out a spot recommended by @XD351, the flats next to Rackham Crescent. Saw a lot of activity of fish on the flats but I got no hits on the topwater. The rain started coming down which was a sign to leave. On the last cast, my dad hooked on to a decent flatty on a chunk of chicken. (Couldn't take a photo as we were in a bit of a hurry to get back and the rain was getting worse) We decided to keep it so the family could try it out and it was delicious. 

Day 3: 

I went back to the jetty in the morning and saw a lot of bream just underneath it. One of them had to be close to 40cm! I tried chucking the topwater underneath and around the pier and I got some follows from the bream but they didn't want to commit. My dad came along and brought some of the chicken. I dropped a piece of chicken next to the jetty and low and behold, one of the smaller specimens crunched it. I think it was around 23 cm. After that, the bait kept getting harassed by smaller fish so it couldn't get down to the bigger bream underneath. In the afternoon I was just casting the topwater around and got a garfish that we released.  We went back to the flats in the evening but this time armed with a nipper pump. We pumped a couple of nippers and I was still trying topwater. I could still see a lot of fish activity but nothing wanted to take the topwater. I tried a bit of chicken and somehow managed to catch a mullet on it which fell off the hook. On the last cast my dad again hooked a flatty on a piece of chicken, a bit bigger than the previous one and we also decided to keep it seeing as the family loved it last time.  

Day 4: 

Before we left, I tried one more time at Smithy's point but this time with a Zman 3.5 inch grub. The winds were a crazy 30km/h but the point was protected so it wasn't too bad. Last cast again I was rewarded with a decent flatty. 

image.jpeg.9cb76ac98aff009511fb302c8e4cf345.jpegimage.jpeg.828db888e11c90b8adf27c100af9b584.jpegimage.jpeg.92863eff68312d912524d54f7c3aee3b.jpegimage.jpeg.251aa357f979218a36a128e31a41d3c0.jpeg

• Like 10

47 minutes ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Well done on the fish, sounds like a wonderful holiday to me. Didn't know garfish would take surface lures, but that's something that I can try next time I get out.

Yea it was quite unexpected!