Georges mulloway Friday

jenno64

Took my boat up to Avalon last week so my son in law could help me with a few repairs. We managed to remove and rejuvenate the steering cable and once we discovered my sounder was deceased we also fitted a new sounder to the boat. Headed out in Pittwater Wednesday to test everything out and all OK! Brought the boat back down south on Thursday and planned for a Friday morning bash in the Georges. I collected some poddies on Thursday arvo but was hoping to also give the flats a go for flatties with HBs.

Launched at the bottom of the tide Friday and couldn't get a reading on the new sounder but a You Tube hack got me going so I headed up river to try a couiple of deep spots with livies on the tide turn and work a few of my other spots. Things were very quiet on all areas after a go at each but just as I was re rigging one rod with a heavier sinker for the deep drift my other rod started screaming for short run. I picked it up and set the hook then got another line in to fight the fish. I was only about 30m from a few pontoons so I hit the lecky and motored away from any structure, I was only in a metre or so of water. The fish took a number of short runs and with consistent headshakes I was hopeful of a flash of silver. After a few more dives away from the boat I netted the fish and was pretty happy with the result.

On the lie detector it measured 96cm and was very well conditioned. I thought about releasing the fish but it's been a long time since my last jewy cutlet so I decided to keep it. I happened to have my large 120cm kill bag in the boat with some ice packs so I dispatched the fish and slipped it into the cool. Feeling pretty happy with catch I experimented with a few other spots and just on high tide, hit one of my favourite drop offs and landed 4 flatties in 15 minutes, the best going 65cm and released as I had been looked after by the fishing gods:)

Now the parking gods were also on my side as I pulled into a double loading zone wit ute and boat and bolted up to my local fishmonger who butchered the fish into magnificent cutlets. He weighed the cleaned fish in at 8.4kg and gave me the head back split so I can collect the otoliths:)  I bought a dozen cracking Sydney rocks off him and we also ate some of the the fish tonight which was sensational! I also have a number of fine, nice sized cutlets to freeze for a future feasts.

My third biggest mullo and the PB for the boat, my bigger ones were in my kayak days.... A Happy Friday the 13th:)

landed.jpg

On the deck.jpg

On the lie detector.jpg

65 cm flatty released.jpg

cutlets for later.jpg

Edited by jenno64
Additional info:)
  • Like 23

14 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Great fish and geeez those Jewfish are good looking.

Thanks, very handsome fish!

10 hours ago, big Neil said:

Cracker of a Jewie and a great report of the day's fishing Jenno. Mouth watering just looking at those cutlets, trust they were equally enjoyable.

bn

Thanks Neil we had cutlets last night and they were mouth watering alright!

5 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

A couple of sweet fish there @jenno64! You certainly are Mr Consistency with the bigger flatties and mulloway.

I also note that you are into beers with a twist. Have you tried the Pop Ale? Great if you like creaming soda!

Thanks Little Flatty, I like to target big fish:) The beer can was just there for a size reference and I have tried a pop ale....a little too much like soft drink for me!

4 hours ago, noelm said:

Well done, it's always good to get a nice eating fish.

Thanks Noel, plenty of future fillets:) The fish weighed in at 8.4kg cleaned so plenty of flesh!

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice jew jenno and congrats on the boat PB. With a bit of luck you’ll crack a meter plus fish soon.

Thanks, how is the basin fishing? My mate was down there before Christmas and got an 84cm flatty on 4lb:) He was also smashing top water whiting and bream.

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

A great fish there Rob, certainly worth the time and effort. Also some bonus flatties.

Thanks Dave, the Hacking is a little too busy at the moment so it was good to give my Georges spots a visit! I don't mind taking the time to collect bait, it's half the fun:)

3 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

I just love Jewie cutlets!  Well done.

They were good:)

1 hour ago, Ribs said:

Wow that’s a cracker GR daytime Jew mate, well done, 

Thanks Ribs, I don't fish at night much so the day time fish suit me!

44 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Nice jewie.

Top photos.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Thanks, how is the basin fishing? My mate was down there before Christmas and got an 84cm flatty on 4lb:) He was also smashing top water whiting and bream.

As usual at this time of year the deep water fishing in The Basin is shutting down a little due to all the extra boat traffic and lines in the water. The recent spell of warm weather has really fired up the flats though and if it stays like this, the next dark moon cycle should be a pearler.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 9:55 AM, swordfisherman said:

You still got it 🤩

Ha, as you know Stewy it's all about time on the water and luckily the last week ahs been very nautical:)

22 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Great stuff Rob! Good size Jew indeed. So much more comfortable in a boat! 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 

It is Jeff, I was just telling my son today about the challenges of handling a big fish in the kayak:)