Port Hacking - not much to show

Yowie

Headed out early this morning, fished the deep up from Lilli Pilli and not much to show for the effort.

While still quite dark, something grabbed a pillie from the bottom, took it for a run, so I lifted the rod , the fish took off and kept going for some distance before the hook pulled. Felt like a nice jewie. Hooked up a tailor on a handline, and it dropped off beside the boat. :1taz:

Caught a couple of yakkas and filleted them. Along with squid and pillies, I hooked up 6 or 7 jewies, only small stuff from the mid 30's to the mid 50's. Good to see that there are some swimming about.

I also pulled up another 2 trags swimming with the jewies, in the mid 30's. The photo shows a concave tail (jewies have a convex tail), and they have smaller scales and an orange colour in the mouth. Fish there but nothing legal. The trag photo is a little blurry, but it shows the body shape.

Finally managed one just legal reddie and a just legal flounder - it swallowed a large bait on ganged hooks so was not looking too healthy. The bites almost stopped after sunrise, so I headed home.

Many boats about this morning, not usually fishing on a weekend, but had to do something rather than lying in bed. 😂

fish.jpeg.386_files_files_files.jpg

fish.jpeg.387_files_files_files.jpg

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 14

Funny, Lake Illawarra is kind of the same, a few fish really early (I mean early, not office hours....) then nothing, I got a couple of good Whiting on Nippers almost at my feet in a little channel, then later, small Bream and assorted rubbish. Wonder if it's the tide times or something?

58 minutes ago, noelm said:

Funny, Lake Illawarra is kind of the same, a few fish really early (I mean early, not office hours....) then nothing, I got a couple of good Whiting on Nippers almost at my feet in a little channel, then later, small Bream and assorted rubbish. Wonder if it's the tide times or something?

Maybe because there are not too many boats about early, just those that appeared to be heading outside. Just before sunrise, the riff raff turn up and zoom around and around the area.

Another week and some of the school aged kids will be back in school, not able to zoom around in the mornings.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I’ll be there soon to catch every fish at about 1pm in the morning when I wake up don’t worry.Lying in bed is what I do best.

At least they’ve left you 2 fish mate.Well done.

Thanks Fab.

4 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Beats the heat of the day Yowie and certainly a Trag. 

It did warm up shortly after sunrise.

Dont know why the trags are up river, but I have pulled up a couple over the last month or so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Larkin said:

spewing the hook pulled on the larger fish!

Trags & Jews ain’t bad to be catching - pitty about the size.

well done bringing home a couple!

I guessing something like 80cm plus, it was not stopping, on 12 pound line.

Shows that there are a few jewies about, though not of size just yet.

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Sounds like a busy session Dave:)

Shame the big run didn’t hook up! I wonder if the bigger jewies feed on the little ones🤷🏻‍♂️

Glad you got your fillets!

Plenty happening Rob, but most going back in. The big one did not stop for a breath, just kept going so it was looking good for a while.

38 minutes ago, Restyle said:

Atleast you got something! 
I have also experienced the same thing on the bottom. Lines doing nothing so i do a bait check and there's something big and heavy sitting on it and always falls off. 

Even though the water is deep, 40 or 50 feet, I have found an occasional big blue swimmer sitting on a bait. If it drops off, I let the bait sink to the bottom and sometimes the crab will come back for another go. Just a matter of slowly pulling it up.

10 hours ago, kobi caught a fish said:

You seem to get plenty of Jews in the hacking I have only ever got two maybe I need to wake up earlier.

I have caught them at night as well, though not of late. I anchor up as first light hits the horizon.