Botany Mahi Mahi

Basil D

Hey Raiders 

headed out again this morning

got my bait early at Molinex nice and early

fished the fads again, got a few and had to move away from Spearos dropping in to say hi again

fish shut down and was lucky I got there before them 

9D33568E-AD9B-4D42-84D8-70832D1E7D7C.jpeg

96AD89E5-4F93-40C3-98BB-CA9D93DA660D.jpeg

• Like 17

10 hours ago, Basil D said:

but they do :(

Throw over some fish frames, might attract some toothy critters. Tell the divers that is what you are fishing for out there.

Edited by Yowie
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, blaxland said:

Nice fish but surely divers can not just turn up and claim 50mtrs if boats are already there

Once a diver is in the drink... and the blue/white flag is up the law states we need to stay 50m away.  It sucks big time how they use that but it is what it is .....

cheers z

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Once a diver is in the drink... and the blue/white flag is up the law states we need to stay 50m away.  It sucks big time how they use that but it is what it is .....

cheers z

but isn't there an etiquette that allows for the angler, if the angler was there first Zoran?

Well done Basil, some really nice Dollie’s - a good feed there mate. 
I’m a diver (SCUBA only now) also and Zoran is (almost) correct, even though it is poor form, once a diver is in the water a powered craft must be a minimum 60m away from the diver and a “safe distance” from the boat. Unfortunately some diver don’t use a blue and white flag so put themselves at significant risk.

below is from maritime handbook:

“Powered vessels – including sailing boats over 5.5m long and personal watercraft (PWC) – must keep a minimum distance of 60m from:

• people in the water, including swimming and surfing areas
  • the boundaries of designated swimming areas and surf zones (marked by signs)
  • a dive flag or float.

Take extra care when you're within 200m of divers and spearfishers – they can be up to 100m from their float or flag.”

Illustration of diving and boating area.
Edited by Pickles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Pickles said:

Well done Basil, some really nice Dollie’s - a good feed there mate. 
I’m a diver (SCUBA only now) also and Zoran is (almost) correct, even though it is poor form, once a diver is in the water a powered craft must be a minimum 60m away from the diver and a “safe distance” from the boat. Unfortunately some diver don’t use a blue and white flag so put themselves at significant risk.

below is from maritime handbook:

“Powered vessels – including sailing boats over 5.5m long and personal watercraft (PWC) – must keep a minimum distance of 60m from:

• people in the water, including swimming and surfing areas
  • the boundaries of designated swimming areas and surf zones (marked by signs)
  • a dive flag or float.

Take extra care when you're within 200m of divers and spearfishers – they can be up to 100m from their float or flag.”

Illustration of diving and boating area.

Surely they must bring out a law that states if boats are on a mark first, they can't just jump, or maybe they should put out fads just for spearos, 

There are always two fads out there, surely they can use one only and let the boaties fish the other.

lastly why cant they put out 10 of these fads out of sydney as sydney has thousands of boaties 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Basil D said:

Surely they must bring out a law that states if boats are on a mark first, they can't just jump,

I've had many a FAD trip ruined so I agree with everything you say ..... But how would it be policed?  ...  as @mrsswordfisherman knows I am trying to find contacts in DPI where we can table issues like this with a unified FR/Deckee voice.  In the meantime all we have is common sense and courtesy.... and personally I believe KARMA will catch up with those that don't show these basic values on the open ocean. 

Cheers Zoran

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

I've had many a FAD trip ruined so I agree with everything you say ..... But how would it be policed?  ...  as @mrsswordfisherman knows I am trying to find contacts in DPI where we can table issues like this with a unified FR/Deckee voice.  In the meantime all we have is common sense and courtesy.... and personally I believe KARMA will catch up with those that don't show these basic values on the open ocean. 

Cheers Zoran

Maybe @Rebelcan help. He seems to be all over the latest political, fisheries and council news and updates. Surely with some of the info he provides on here that he knows people in these Industries.

• Like 1