Kingies are back in Sydney.

Pickles

After a long drought targetting kingfish lasting for several months (been focusing on training my Lab “Rosie” as she’s currently running 5th in Australia in retrieving / hunting trials and we’re off to Western Australia for the National Championships so getting ready). Today 2 of my buddies wanted to get their arms pulled so we hit the offshore reefs and cracked a great day. Bait was easy to get (good sized slimies and Yakkas) and the Kingies came out to play with a tripple hookup and 2 landed.

Apologies to admin as I couldn’t resist slipping a pic of the K9 - delete if not acceptable 

IMG_1448.jpeg

IMG_1220.jpeg

• Like 24

Nice fish and nice dog @Pickles

Love the retrieving trials, I started training my dog to have a start ( he’s a brittany), but got sidetracked.

Well done your retrieving achievements that’s a great result, you might know Peter Betteridge who’s a lab breeder and trainer

• Like 1

Good to see that you got a bit of action after a lengthy lean spell Bob. 

Best wishes for a successful outcome in the trials with Rosie, I'm sure she will do her absolute best to maintain her high standing. 

Hope to catch up a bit later in the year when , hopefully, the Kingies are out in abundance.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

Nicely done Bob and crew… you are the kings master and congratulations to you and Rosie… I know how much effort you both put in! Give her a big pat from me. 
When are you heading to WA?
cheers Zoran 

Well done on all fronts, and only right that Whole Lotta Rosie gets her pic posted.  

@Mods can we make it a rule that if anybody mentions a doggo they are legally and morally required to post at least one pic?

• Like 1

Good fish pickles, Still lots of kings inside the harbour though, been catching a bunch these past few months, they seem to be really switched on to cuttles and fresh squid heads, they are at all the usual spots.

Here is a pic of the sounder from the weekend

06C6B16F-EC1C-4473-A8B2-4BB7043D969A.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Pickles

Great report as usual.  I was out on Sunday and was having trouble landing yakkas.  Set up around Middle Harbour and berleyed a few around the boat but they weren't taking my squid on sabiki setup.  What bait are you having success with?

Cheers

18 hours ago, fatcat531 said:

Hey Pickles

Great report as usual.  I was out on Sunday and was having trouble landing yakkas.  Set up around Middle Harbour and berleyed a few around the boat but they weren't taking my squid on sabiki setup.  What bait are you having success with?

Cheers

Hey @fatcat531, I only use bait jigs when outside in deep water (The artificial, Annie Miller etc). I only ever use single hook rig on a handline - 6lb nylon with a woven and no 10 mosquito hook and no lead. I mealy always get more Yakkas than boats around me and never get tangles to waste time with. if I do use jigs I only like 3 hook multiples. I use tiny bits of squid tentacles- just enough to cover the (tiny) hooks. Berley up with soaked chicken pellets in a plastic jar soaked over night and shaken vigorously to make a “soup” and bread in berley pot, plus frames from day before trip (get out several times a week). Hope this helps.

IMG_1453.jpeg

Edited by Pickles

18 hours ago, nal said:

Good fish pickles, Still lots of kings inside the harbour though, been catching a bunch these past few months, they seem to be really switched on to cuttles and fresh squid heads, they are at all the usual spots.

Here is a pic of the sounder from the weekend

06C6B16F-EC1C-4473-A8B2-4BB7043D969A.jpeg

Way to go @nal - it’s great when the sounder lights up like that. Harbour over the new moon of past few days has been very quiet, 2 or 3 days time and they should be firing again.

On 7/17/2023 at 8:32 PM, Bennyg78 said:

Nice fish and nice dog @Pickles

Love the retrieving trials, I started training my dog to have a start ( he’s a brittany), but got sidetracked.

Well done your retrieving achievements that’s a great result, you might know Peter Betteridge who’s a lab breeder and trainer

Hey @Bennyg78, Peter B is one of my best mates - train with him several times a week  send me a PM and I’ll keep in touch. I train every day, so if you’re ever keen, I’m always happy to get together - I’ve got 30 acres, 2 dams, a creek and lots of cover with quail and rabbits). You probably also know John Hodson and John Cauchi - great spaniel guys)

On 7/17/2023 at 10:06 PM, big Neil said:

Good to see that you got a bit of action after a lengthy lean spell Bob. 

Best wishes for a successful outcome in the trials with Rosie, I'm sure she will do her absolute best to maintain her high standing. 

Hope to catch up a bit later in the year when , hopefully, the Kingies are out in abundance.

Cheers, bn

Be good to catch up Neil

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Way to go @nal - it’s great when the sounder lights up like that. Harbour over the new moon of past few days has been very quiet, 2 or 3 days time and they should be firing again.

Yeah was definitely a little hard to get a bite over the weekend, still managed but all rats.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 6:29 AM, Pickles said:

Hey @fatcat531, I only use bait jigs when outside in deep water (The artificial, Annie Miller etc). I only ever use single hook rig on a handline - 6lb nylon with a woven and no 10 mosquito hook and no lead. I mealy always get more Yakkas than boats around me and never get tangles to waste time with. if I do use jigs I only like 3 hook multiples. I use tiny bits of squid tentacles- just enough to cover the (tiny) hooks. Berley up with soaked chicken pellets in a plastic jar soaked over night and shaken vigorously to make a “soup” and bread in berley pot, plus frames from day before trip (get out several times a week). Hope this helps.

Hey @fatcat531 - I have had lots of success using Bob's method but I do find that every now and again the squid doesn't work. I tend to then use any other fish bait (yakkas / bonito belly) and I have and usually no issue. The problem is that these baits are picked far more easily hence you can spend more time baiting, but this has got me out of a pickle or two.

Good to see you getting into the Kings. 👍

Well done to you and Rosie. She was performing well when I visited you a while back, it was such good fun watching you put her through her paces. A really well trained dog who you have a strong bond with. Go well in WA.

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2023 at 5:14 PM, GordoRetired said:

Good to see you getting into the Kings. 👍

Well done to you and Rosie. She was performing well when I visited you a while back, it was such good fun watching you put her through her paces. A really well trained dog who you have a strong bond with. Go well in WA.

Cheers Gordo

• Like 1