Port Hacking

Headed out early this morning to Maianbar flats. Pumped some nippers, but not much happening. 2 just legal whiting, then a better sized one. Missed a few bites, probably small ones, then hooked up to an eagle ray. :1taz: It took a little while for it to wake up and take off, then off it swam at speed, so I busted off before losing too much line.

Moved to Lilli Pilli flats for a few drifts. Another good whiting and the bream, but some time between bites.

Headed home and in Gunnamatta Bay, I saw some seagulls sitting on the water, so lobbed out a metal for the bonnies. They did not stay around for too long, and were feeding on anchovies (in the photo above the bream)  Something took a fancy to one of the bonnies I was retrieving, a clean bite.

fish.jpeg.430_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

Ripper haul there Yowie!

Thank you, happy with the catch.

3 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done Yowie, a nice feed. I might stop wading around waist deep water after the past few days, seems to be some big critters around

Thank you. Breeding time now for the sharks. Surprising how many people swim near the Audley Weir. Not for me.

3 hours ago, Restyle said:

nice haul there. 2 and a half bonito is pretty good, presume youll salt them down?

In the salt right now. Have been needing a few new fillets.

3 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice Dave!

No fishing on the Gold Coast?

Thanks Mike. No fishing, too bloody hot and humid, not good for a day out in the boat with the grandkids.

3 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Great fishing trip.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, AlbertW said:

good stuff, might have to make a trip up to the beaches and spin for some Bonnies

There was a few in the small school, then they disappeared quickly.

1 hour ago, LuckyFil said:

See Jenno's report from yesterday - might have been his friend that had a go at your bonnie

Saw that report. Probably a few cruising about in all of the rivers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Nice mixed bag again Dave, at least you got to keep the big end of the Bonnie.

Thanks Bob. At least he left me something I can use for bait. 😂  Could have chewed off the lure as well.

My mate caught a similar looking fish a while back off Molyneaux point. I thought it was a previously undescribed species, so as owner of the boat I had naming rights, Maybe Seriola acaudatus (no tail) or Seriola Picklesii in honour of the kingie master?

image.png.f09aece561c588cfddd5f5046929034b.png

25 minutes ago, Toadmaster said:

My mate caught a similar looking fish a while back off Molyneaux point. I thought it was a previously undescribed species, so as owner of the boat I had naming rights, Maybe Seriola acaudatus (no tail) or Seriola Picklesii in honour of the kingie master?

image.png.f09aece561c588cfddd5f5046929034b.png

A few toothy critters about at present, just lazy bastards not wanting to chase down a feed, instead waiting near boats for an easy meal.

Nice work Dave! The Bonnie’s are a welcome addition and yes that half Bonnie obviously met a toothy end! Good to see the anchovies in the pic, explains the surface bust ups I saw the other day. 
The Hacking boat and jet ski circus show is on today so good luck to anyone trying to put together a bag😜

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Dave! The Bonnie’s are a welcome addition and yes that half Bonnie obviously met a toothy end! Good to see the anchovies in the pic, explains the surface bust ups I saw the other day. 
The Hacking boat and jet ski circus show is on today so good luck to anyone trying to put together a bag😜

Thanks Rob, fish a bit scattered but enough for a few meals, and bonnies for salting.

Plenty of jet skis about yesterday, and the drop kick in his racing outboard boat. High speed all over the place, before sunrise, no lights. He is out there at those times as the Water Police and Maritime are still in bed, (though they have told me that is not true 🤣 )

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch Dave!

A couple of good sized whiting in the mix!

i saw that guy in the speed boat flying over gunnamatta sand flats around midday.

Thank you. The bigger ones are better, over the pound mark. Bonnies in the salt mix right now.

There are a few hoons in high powered boats. Last year I estimated one travelling around 70 knots, and a few days later, I was told he was bragging on faceache of hitting 74 knots. This lunatic is out before sunrise, no lights, still a bit dark. He would cause severe injuries to a kayaker/paddler if he hit them at that speed.

There was a collision today at Grays Point, between 2 tinnies travelling at speed in a 4 knot zone. The occupants stick their fingers up at people who tell them to slow down. Well, a big collision occured, a female thrown into the water, found floating face down. Should be on the news tonight.

• Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Thank you. The bigger ones are better, over the pound mark. Bonnies in the salt mix right now.

There are a few hoons in high powered boats. Last year I estimated one travelling around 70 knots, and a few days later, I was told he was bragging on faceache of hitting 74 knots. This lunatic is out before sunrise, no lights, still a bit dark. He would cause severe injuries to a kayaker/paddler if he hit them at that speed.

There was a collision today at Grays Point, between 2 tinnies travelling at speed in a 4 knot zone. The occupants stick their fingers up at people who tell them to slow down. Well, a big collision occured, a female thrown into the water, found floating face down. Should be on the news tonight.

Yeah, unfortunately the young girl passed away.

was thinking the same thing - this area is all 4 knots.

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Yeah, unfortunately the young girl passed away.

was thinking the same thing - this area is all 4 knots.

They do not give a shit about others boaters, as I said, just stick up the fingers and keep going well past 4 knots.

Yes, the young girl passed away as expected, face down in the water for several minutes.