Raiders on the prowl - Ettalong

kiwicraig

It has been noticeably busy on the waterways of Brisbane Waters of late - as always this time of year.  So @flatheadluke and I hatched a plan to kick off New Years Day with a dawn session - figuring that a fair portion of the boaties would be sleeping off a big night. 

I met Luke at his place at 4:45 am and we headed straight to Blackwall ramp.  We were on the water quickly and it was a truly awesome morning.  The plan was to mix up a couple of styles.  We went out first to get some live baits with a plan to put one down looking for big flatties while we drifted.  It did not take long to put half a dozen yakkas and one slimy in the tank.  

We then headed over to the flats in front of Ettalong flick plastics and put into practice some of what I learned on the soft plastic charter I did on Boxing Day.  

I hooked the first fish on a plastic pretty quickly near Half Tide Rocks - a easily legal flattie in the mid-40s range (didn't actually measure it).  Despite it being well past high tide and not a lot of wind the drift was still taking us in so we re-positioned a bit further out to drift back in.  We were flicking away when the live bait rod folded over.  Initially I thought it was snagged but when I lifted the rod I let it run a little then struck and was on.  Up came a great flattie - my first on a live bait.  It measured 63cm which makes it my second biggest.  

We shifted around a few times.  I managed one more keeper.  Then Luke took over and caught the next fish.  I also managed the smallest flattie as well - a little throw back that took a lure not much smaller than itself!

After a while out in front of half tide rocks we came inside to try the channel between Wagstaffe and Half Tide Rocks.  We were spot locking next to the sand bar and casting up onto it and retrieving over the drop.  Hard to believe we did not hook up here.  We could see bait all around us the same size and colours as the plastics we were using.  Luke also had a good flattie following his lure through centimetres of water but just couldn't draw the strike.  Exciting stuff. 

We finished off back where we started the session and Luke managed another nice flattie.  

All the fish were caught on Z-main 4" paddle tail shads in a white sparkly colour - though I did drop one fish on a darker curly tail as well.

All up a fantastic start to the year. 

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

• Like 8

Nice going guys.  The boat traffic has been a real turn off for me but the fish are still biting surprisingly well.  I fished Woy Woy bay a few days ago and the flathead bite was non existent, which I put down to all the ski boats.  Whiting and bream were not deterred though.  Smart move to get out there super early, well done.

Sounds like you guys had a great session to kick off the new year with a good plan to avoid the boat traffic, I’m surprised you only got the one slimy,  I’m assuming you got them near the ladders. I spoke to a guy at the ramp just before chrissy who nearly bagged out on slimy’s there while I was up near putty beach getting blue spots and quite a few 30+cm slimy’s

1 hour ago, 61 crusher said:

Sounds like you guys had a great session to kick off the new year with a good plan to avoid the boat traffic, I’m surprised you only got the one slimy,  I’m assuming you got them near the ladders. I spoke to a guy at the ramp just before chrissy who nearly bagged out on slimy’s there while I was up near putty beach getting blue spots and quite a few 30+cm slimy’s

Yeah - Near the ladders.  We were not there long - probably less than 10 mins.  We were keen to get after the target so as soon as we had half a dozen in the tank we were off.