Hawkesbury River Blackfish

Centrepin

We hadn’t fished our haunts on the Hawkesbury for some years and had real doubts about the likelihood of fish. Luderick have been very scarce on the South coast this summer and likewise on the North Coast last winter.

I was even more sceptical when I saw how few posts there are on Fishraider.

About 2 weeks ago we had a short session in a southerly and produced a few fish. A good start and I was keen to see what would happen in good conditions.

Last Friday we fished in glorious conditions and the fishing was good. We landed about 20 fish up to 39cm’s, kept a few and had a lovely day. The average size was very good

Fished again the next day with similar results with fish up to 42cm’s.

We had quite a few bust offs on bigger fish as they run you around the rocks in some spots. 42 is about as big as we seem get them out. You can go up to 10lb trace with the coloured water and still get busted.

In 2 days we saw only one other boat. We saw wonderful sea eagles and lovely scenery.

Just the best time.

Geoff and Evi

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-15 at 3.18.59 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-15 at 3.19.31 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-15 at 3.18.09 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-15 at 3.18.38 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-17 at 5.04.22 PM.jpeg

• Like 14

Hi centrepin, really impressive blackies and great write up, I fish a lot of the rocks around northern beaches for blackies but never tried for them up the hawkesbury, wondering if I can combine it with kayak! Is the spot you fish accessible by kayak think it would an awesome day if it’s possible... not one to try and get secret spots but an idea wether it’s possible would be appreciated. Thanks

Dear Psycho Sardine,

Yes the areas are very conducive to fishing from kayak. Berley could be the only problem. We usually use 15 litres of sand and weed mix. I would just use less sand to the same volume of weed and mix it well.

Good luck

Geoff

• 4 months later...

Hmmm nice catch. Just joined fishraider and recently went out twice for the first time for blackfish in the Hawlesbury. First outing 4 nice size and second 3 nice blackfish. Curious, your post says you went in February. Are the blackfish there in summer? I thought only winter. Don't want to invade your privacy but as a newcomer any vague location suggestions would be appreciated as at the moment I have only the one spot. Kindest regards. Neil

Thanks for that. Looks like I will be busy year round. Have access to good weed summer and winter. Can't wait. All I have to do is research some spots but I sure love fishing the Hawkesbury. Neil

Hiya fellas, just wondering if you can get lures that replicate the weed as I think getting weed every time might become a bit of a hassle for me... Cheers guys,

Oz. 

Edited by Oz98

52 minutes ago, Oz98 said:

Hiya fellas, just wondering if you can get lures that replicate the weed as I think getting weed every time might become a bit of a hassle for me... Cheers guys,

Oz. 

yes you can. Look online.

IMG_0272.jpg

• Like 1