Port Stephens- I found whiskers! Yewwww

Scratchie

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

For those of you interested here is the life cycle of a snapper in one photo! They certainly do grow exponentially. 
One is 40, 50, 60, 70, and 95

8999B065-C2D3-4244-A960-8C2C13CC3D27.thumb.jpeg.cb1e1fedfe6003f1abdf1216250641d2.jpeg 

Wow that's awesome.  I'm still working on the Port Stephens weekend but thinking more likely a full week. 

• Like 2

96cm all day.. Nose of the fish is a bit over 🤔congrats brother always looked at the garlicker thinking what does he see in it but it's served you well multiple times. Yeww.. can't wait till September! better not be a second lock down 🤞

• Like 1

Guest Guest123456789

Congratulations Jeff on landing that monster Snapper. Good on you for sharing the tale as well. 

how does this catch compare to the PB mulloway?

7 hours ago, Scratchie said:

G’day raiders, 

This post is a little inspiration for those wanting to head up to Port Stephens for a meet and greet. 
Headed out with a mate this morning to some sloppy and blowy conditions. It’s been a real struggle of late and you pretty much need to get your fish at first light or there gone. 
Didn’t stop for bait and pulled up to our first mark and did two drifts without a touch. Moved around the corner and I finally come up tight to a nice 50. A few more casts for nothing so we move again to a more promising spot. My mate was technically ok with plastics but a little tweaking and soon he gets hammered a line peels off. A good fight and into the net goes a just on 70 model. Yesssssssss! 

I “just kept casting” and soon had another 55 to the box as my mate played with some rat kings. 
Move again and this time it was my turn for the rats. Had enough there so we hit the next mark which was devoid of bait and any sign of good fish. 
Then we move to an area I’ve fished many times for decent pannies and I cast out, whack!!!! This thing is pulling line and screaming just under the surface, oh finally a decent king I think. Then I managed to stop its progress and then I can feel the signs of a huge snapper. The heart started to beat a little faster but I could feel I had a solid hook up. I started winning some line and then it started to get some back which went on for quite some time until I finally see colour. With sore arms and the knees now knocking, my mate reaches out with the net and boom! Another cracking 95cm of Broughton Island caught snapper! 
After a few high 5’s, giggles and wow moments, we composed ourselves and started casting again. A few more were added to the box but then we called it a day just before midday! 
Another cracking day in Port Stephens!!! 

Time: 9:40

Tide: two hours after low

Gear: shimano ultegra 5000 with 20lb fins braid and 20lb black magic fluro leader, 1/4 5/0 tt jig and a 7 inch gulp garlicker. 

cheers scratchie!!! 

533B6D7D-4C7C-4FC9-B4EB-EA3D7C2FF7F7.thumb.jpeg.af7e45d14fd0847f90b022618bf5951f.jpeg

2A05A98B-E07C-45A7-9279-CF20EF85E264.thumb.jpeg.6d786634d554e5c73f86a86383899ac1.jpeg

E6B01186-CC12-4FBA-AD94-483160BC6C99.thumb.jpeg.a017c7ef85977fe1c8e7a4359dbae3e0.jpeg

Epic! What a monster.

Well done Scratchie, that's a lovely Snapper. It would have taken all of your expertise to land on the 20lb set up. I love the "progression" photo of all the different sized fish...very creative. Let's hope there's not another lockdown, with all these clowns protesting! 

Cheers, bn

16 hours ago, James Clain said:

Great snapper! looks a bit rough out there.

Thanks. It was early but settled down for the drive home. 

16 hours ago, Welster said:

Wow that's awesome.  I'm still working on the Port Stephens weekend but thinking more likely a full week. 

Cheers mate! A full week or full year you’d enjoy 😉 

16 hours ago, Smobaby said:

Congratulations that’s one hell of a snapper hate to see Wiskers when he comes. 

Thanks! Don’t think we’ll ever get him. But I’ll have fun trying 👍

16 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Nice one mate.

Can't wait for the meet and great👍

Thanks Pete! Me either 

16 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Congratulations Scratchie, that's a trophy fish in anyone's book.

Interesting that the big fella (and all the others in the pic) doesn't have the big snapper bump on its head?

Well done.

Fil

Thanks Fil. Definitely a fish of a lifetime and I’ve been fortunate enough to land two! 
I might be wrong but I think the lack of a bump on the head has more to do with the abundance of bait and they don’t have to forage for their food. In other areas of the state like Coffs, their bump is definitely more prominent. I have caught one up there with a nice bump! 

16 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice fish jeff  i gotta get up for a fish

Thanks Rick! Yes mate you do 👍

16 hours ago, quintrex52 said:

96cm all day.. Nose of the fish is a bit over 🤔congrats brother always looked at the garlicker thinking what does he see in it but it's served you well multiple times. Yeww.. can't wait till September! better not be a second lock down 🤞

Cheers Jeremy. 95cm is the call. 👍 The old garlicker is a weapon! 

16 hours ago, 510 sea spirit said:

Wow Great fish Scratchie 

love to get something like that 

Is there a fishing trip in September  to Scratchie land 

Cheers. Yes have a look in the “fishing chat” section

13 hours ago, lucapalooka76 said:

Epic! What a monster.

Thanks mate! 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Congratulations Jeff on landing that monster Snapper. Good on you for sharing the tale as well. 

how does this catch compare to the PB mulloway?

Thanks Luke. 
Hard call but targeting any fish and being successful is rewarding. Wether it’s whiting, flatty snapper etc. 

Jew vs Snapper......

Well Jew fishing is more of a bait and wait approach. You know the locations, time tide etc and you sit there with your live bait waiting for a strike.  Usually your outfit, leaders, hooks etc are a lot more gauged for a big fish. And after a Jew has made its first run they usually come in belly up. 

Chasing Big snapper on 20lb line with soft plastics requires so much more technical knowledge, hundreds of casts and then when you finally hook up to a monster and you know it. It is heart in mouth stuff. This fish was caught in only 10m of water. There were so many things I had to get right to land it. 

So for me, give me snapper any day!!! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

9 hours ago, big Neil said:

Well done Scratchie, that's a lovely Snapper. It would have taken all of your expertise to land on the 20lb set up. I love the "progression" photo of all the different sized fish...very creative. Let's hope there's not another lockdown, with all these clowns protesting! 

Cheers, bn

Cheers BN It took all my knowledge to land this one and some! Agree, I hope there’s not another lockdown 😢

1 hour ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...hey Jeff,what time of year did you catch that other 94cm snapper.?

Both snapper went 95cm Mick. Don’t try and rip me off 1cm lol 😂 

The other was caught 21/9/18 right near where whiskers hides 🤔 

• Like 1

Absolute ripper snapper mate. Wow. Stuff dreams are made of. 

now time to upgrade the tinny to get out to Broughton! 😂. Can’t catch ones that big in the bay, unless your me and you can’t catch any 😂

Good work again. 

3 hours ago, Rummers said:

Absolute ripper snapper mate. Wow. Stuff dreams are made of. 

now time to upgrade the tinny to get out to Broughton! 😂. Can’t catch ones that big in the bay, unless your me and you can’t catch any 😂

Good work again. 

Thanks Rummers. You could probably launch your tinny at boat Harbour and have a go! Some good reef systems there! 

7 minutes ago, tobycb said:

Well done Scratchie!

What a horse of a red! ill have to get up your way for a fish sometime soon.

Regards, Toby

Thanks Toby! Yes mate it is a beautiful place! 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 5:47 PM, Scratchie said:

For those of you interested here is the life cycle of a snapper in one photo! They certainly do grow exponentially. 
One is 40, 50, 60, 70, and 95

8999B065-C2D3-4244-A960-8C2C13CC3D27.thumb.jpeg.cb1e1fedfe6003f1abdf1216250641d2.jpeg 

Hi Scratchie, how do the monsters cook up compared to the smaller models?