Finally bagged out

61 crusher

After a slow winter & early spring on general fishing & the squid front I managed to go out yesterday afternoon for a reconnaissance to see if the blackfish were still around as I finally had a day off (Friday) 22D82C74-A31F-47BC-80AF-6B9A9AFC8D16.thumb.jpeg.71d5ce560a09627e21b314706ce69dab.jpeg

CBB34D2A-7508-4AD9-B3D3-C8FFCA009EC6.jpeg

I managed two downs for a blackie, they were slow which was expected as the water was well shadowed before dusk. On dusk & almost dead low I flicked a squid jig & managed 3 in about 20 mins & headed homeThis morning went back & had another go at the blackfish for the third time with my running float rig & not having much joy. One of the local guys suggested a fixed float (kindly donated) & longer trace.

Well that changed the ball game & I managed to bag out in under three hours 

Happy days

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
  • Like 14

Fantastic effort - a few good feeds there ‘crusher -  good to hear a fellow fisho was willing to help out. I learned a long time ago that “A generous soul prospers and he who waters, will himself be watered” (Prov 11:25)

• Like 1

Nice one @61 crusher its something that I have tried a few times but struggled with the float set up & getting the right depth.

Going to give it another go though as I still have all of dads luderick gear.

Sounds like you have a good supply of local cabbage to which makes a big difference?

Were you using the leafy type or the sringy type??

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Hey crusher,

That's an amazing story.

It reminds me of when that happened to me when I was in my early 20's. A local guy helped me out, donated a float and gave me some pointers. Our friendship grew over the years and he eventually game me hundreds of floats, techniques that few people knew about, how to select the best bait, how to bait up, read current lines, how to strike depending on the type of the down, washing fish out, burleying and how to fish the trail, keeping the fish alive, cleaning, filleting, cooking, you name it. The only thing he didn't do was to eat the fish for me. I repaid favours by entertaining the group with ridiculous jokes and kept them smiling when they started to yawn. It was a great 20 years on the stones.

We stayed good friends for 30 years until he was no longer able to fish and I spent more time on the boat than the rocks. I was well watered (thanks for the prov reference Pickles) and these days I am happy to water others. Occasionally I walk down to bare island and remember the good old days. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

Befriend people like these and repay favours generously - the next 30 years will be amazing for you as well😄

Edited by Keflapod
  • Like 6

On 10/23/2020 at 6:14 PM, Pickles said:

Fantastic effort - a few good feeds there ‘crusher -  good to hear a fellow fisho was willing to help out. I learned a long time ago that “A generous soul prospers and he who waters, will himself be watered” (Prov 11:25)

On 10/23/2020 at 6:34 PM, zmk1962 said:

Great stuff Dieter! Some sweet eating there. Knowing you I bet you found a way to repay the fisho kindness

Thanks gents the first time I wondered down there after having a squid session with only one in the bag. One of the guys offered me his outfit while cleaning the catch, I managed two before he was done, the other bloke still fishing gave one of his fish to me (perfect amount for a family feed) & in kind I offered my only squid to the chap who lent me his gear, he was reluctant but I insisted, it was used later with his grandkids who caught a few nice bream, he has since requested more if I have any spare

On 10/23/2020 at 6:39 PM, XD351 said:

Rippa catch mate ! 
Hope you didn’t throw the squid heads away - fantastic jew bait !

Thanks the smallest fresh frozen for bait & the other two tentacles an all went dow great for lunch yesterday yum!

On 10/24/2020 at 8:24 AM, kingie chaser said:

Going to give it another go though as I still have all of dads luderick gear.

Sounds like you have a good supply of local cabbage to which makes a big difference?

Were you using the leafy type or the sringy type??

Thanks Adrian, the leaf cabbage off the local rocks, the guy who gave me the fixed float said if I happen to catch him at his car he’ll give me some more floats as he makes them 

If interested once the weather settles get in touch & we can go for a session 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 4:22 PM, Keflapod said:

Hey crusher,

That's an amazing story.

It reminds me of when that happened to me when I was in my early 20's. A local guy helped me out, donated a float and gave me some pointers. Our friendship grew over the years and he eventually game me hundreds of floats, techniques that few people knew about, how to select the best bait, how to bait up, read current lines, how to strike depending on the type of the down, washing fish out, burleying and how to fish the trail, keeping the fish alive, cleaning, filleting, cooking, you name it. The only thing he didn't do was to eat the fish for me. I repaid favours by entertaining the group with ridiculous jokes and kept them smiling when they started to yawn. It was a great 20 years on the stones.

We stayed good friends for 30 years until he was no longer able to fish and I spent more time on the boat than the rocks. I was well watered (thanks for the prov reference Pickles) and these days I am happy to water others. Occasionally I walk down to bare island and remember the good old days. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

Befriend people like these and repay favours generously - the next 30 years will be amazing for you as well😄

you havent  posted a bream fishing report  for a very long time  Keflapod (before 10 bream limit)  used to enjoy all of your  reports ,    

Edited by leonardgid

On 10/23/2020 at 4:11 PM, 61 crusher said:

One of the local guys suggested a fixed float (kindly donated) & longer trace

Hi Crusher,

Please excuse my ignorance, but what difference does a fixed float make, I understand the longer trace benefits, or perhaps, what we’re you using before the fixed float, may explain it better ?

Thanks

B. 

18 hours ago, FishyMcFishFace said:

Good on you mate, a very successful session there. I can't say I've ever bagged out before 😅

Cheers, in the old days I used to bag out a lot mainly by the Missus though 🤣. These days I’ve managed to curb my addiction & don’t get bagged out or bag out as much 😄

7 hours ago, Billmack said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what difference does a fixed float make, I understand the longer trace benefits, or perhaps, what we’re you using before the fixed float, may explain it better ?

I was using a running float & stopper knot with one sinker at the swivel & the longer trace would flip over the top of the float & tangle. Unlike the estuary set up with a series of split shots the locals use either a stopper above sinker or a second strip lead pinched onto the line for extra ballast. I’m assuming because of the runoff & turbulence in the fishy zone 

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Happy Days alright! That’s a great haul. Always nice to be out there when the fish are biting! 

Thanks mate, so true 😄

Dieter,

Great to see you get amongst them.

Longer traces are a big key to Blackfishing off the rocks. I have had the same experience as you with a guy suggesting a longer trace and that turned the day around, like it did with you.

I start with at 1M trace and will shorten if I am losing baits and not getting downs. Sometimes you have to vary the trace length depending on the tide throughout the session,

Well done,

Geoff

• Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 6:53 PM, Centrepin said:

start with at 1M trace and will shorten if I am losing baits and not getting downs. Sometimes you have to vary the trace length depending on the tide throughout the session,

Thanks Geoff, local knowledge seems to make all the difference the guy who set me straight suggested min 40 to 60 cm trace & showed me a suicide hook in a size 6 & said he’s no expert but the local fisherman who showed him the ins & outs has fished this area for 65 years 

Next time you’re up this way hit me up & we’ll try & get out for a session 

Edited by 61 crusher