Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning for a fish in the deep up from Lilli Pilli. Pulled out the reddies and flounder on bait strips and pillies. Apart from that, no decent hits other than little plenty of small reddies and a few trumpeter stripping off the baits.

At the bottom of the tide, I motored up to Grays Point for something different. Pumped a few nippers, not many there but they were of jumbo size. While doing that, a cloud of whiting turned up around my feet, but none of legal size. Also a few poddy mullet, so I caught a few on my bait line.

The tide was just starting the run-up, so I drifted along and spooked a flattie about 60cm in the shallows. It swam a short distance from the boat and stopped, so I lobbed a nipper out and it landed in front of his nose, but the flattie swam off a short distance and stopped. I lobbed out a poddy again in front if it's nose, but the flattie swam off again into the deeper water.

I kept moving on the drift and a poddy produced the flattie for me, but the only one I could find. The bream took a nipper. A couple of more drifts and I hooked a good whiting, had it beside the boat with the net ready and the hook pulled out. It was close to 40cm.

A nipper hooked me a Long Tom about 70cm, which jumped and splashed but did not bite off the hook even though it was down the throat. Cut off the hook and released it. It was a fat Tom, so I'm guessing a Stout Long Tom - most I catch in the Hacking are Slender Long Tom. Another Tom grabbed a poddy later on but did not hook up.

The wind picked up so I headed home.

fish.jpeg.325_files_files.jpg

• Like 17

Nice feed of fish. Much better than I did. Hardly any boats yesterday, many today?

I had a leisurely fish yesterday, pumped nippers half a doz almost legal whiting, then a kept a bream and 5 trevs.. Found the hacking a bit quiet, had a mate come out in my boat.

2 hours ago, kobi caught a fish said:

great fish

Thank you.

2 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

That's a cracker of a flounder 

Yes, quite a nice one.

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Yowie

Looking forward to the water warming up a bit more for the whiting to get more aggressive!

The whiting have been a bit quiet around Maianbar lately. It sometimes happens around this time of year, where the whiting either move further upstream, or head out to the beaches.

The clear water can make them a bit timid on the bite.

2 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Nice feed of fish. Much better than I did. Hardly any boats yesterday, many today?

I had a leisurely fish yesterday, pumped nippers half a doz almost legal whiting, then a kept a bream and 5 trevs.. Found the hacking a bit quiet, had a mate come out in my boat.

Thanks Bruce. A few boats scooting about here and there today. Some motor closer to you than need be, probably too lazy to move a few degrees away.

I was going to Maianbar flats, but gave Grays Point a try for a change. Stacks of small whiting about, the larger ones scarce where I was. Just the odd tailor splashing up that way, but by the time I lobbed out a lure, they were somewhere else.

17 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Yowie

Looking forward to the water warming up a bit more for the whiting to get more aggressive!

I had a swim at Wanda Beach this morning, and spoke to a fisho. He only had 1 whiting on board, about 35cm, on beach worms he pulled out himself.

He said he was pulling out a few more during afternoon sessions, of similar size.

51 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I had a swim at Wanda Beach this morning,

For a second there I thought you were going to say you suffered baratrauma - but then I realized that was the other topic I skimmed through.  Phew. Gotta keep moving … last few days busy busy. 
cheers Zoran 

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

For a second there I thought you were going to say you suffered baratrauma - but then I realized that was the other topic I skimmed through.  Phew. Gotta keep moving … last few days busy busy. 
cheers Zoran 

No barratrauma for me, though I would like a barramundi rather than a barry couta.

It's time to relax, take it easy.  😴

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

That bit of pavement is the most photographed piece of land on FR 😂

Well done as usual :thumbup:

It has had a few photos taken, and no two are the same. Swordie, are you reading this comment?:074:

Edited by Yowie

1 hour ago, tobycb said:

Good mixed bag there Yowie,

How are the long Tom on the plate? I've never eaten one...

Regards, Toby

Thank you.

I have eaten a few Toms, in fillets, and they are similar to garfish fillets, but I prefer the gars to toms. Similar fillets to gars, but quite a bit bigger, and need the rib bones removed. The green bones can turn people off.

Yes, I fillet garfish, but only eat the bigger ones, and remove the rib bones with a long fillet knife.

2 hours ago, swordfisherman said:

Those fish have so many reoccurring frost and freezer burns 🥵 I don’t know how they can even still be photographed 

Your comments are worse than Zoran and Fab.  :074:

Donna, I nominate Swordie for the title of King Bullshitter.  :074::074::074: .   You need to add K.B. after his name - swordfisherman K.B. (sort of like a medical qualification title)

10 hours ago, Yowie said:

Your comments are worse than Zoran and Fab.  :074:

Donna, I nominate Swordie for the title of King Bullshitter.  :074::074::074: .   You need to add K.B. after his name - swordfisherman K.B. (sort of like a medical qualification title)

Nah never a bs with his captures :biggrin2:
I have a freezer full of kingfish here caught over the last week and I want some flathead over the next few weeks!!

All in fun and keep the reports up mate :1clap:

• Thanks 1