“You’ve got a fish”

Billmack

Hi All,

After recent successful trips involving snapper, garfish and squid in this amazing fishery I live near, we decided to have an easy day on the flathead grounds, but got a pleasant surprise with a school of gummies. I didn’t realise they schooled. 

This first pic explains the title, I had my head down untangling the first gummy and didn’t realise my rod had gone off with another gummy.

3367F22E-2AF0-4715-9ACE-858BBF1F2552.thumb.jpeg.a49a4a2441b88bf581bb20355f6cedfe.jpeg

But all ended well....

91C4F44E-C266-418F-B089-AE104B9526CC.thumb.jpeg.32380f84cb17998769b96ca55c0445f4.jpeg

Outfished by the girls, again 🙄

5E9F0786-9088-43F5-B5EE-E51DD57D7F68.thumb.jpeg.5b5e5e7b6a5449766a8c0fa4a755793e.jpeg

The fillets were shared with several non fishing neighbors and for us it’s battered flake for dinner tonight 👨‍🍳🤤

Cheers.

BM.

Edited by Billmack
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work on the gummies! I love that photo with the bend in the rod! What area are you fishing? 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Between Bowen Island and Point Perp in 40m, have fished there many times, but never gummies. 

3 hours ago, BigHorse said:

Haha nice pic of the rod goin off in the background! 🤣

great couple of catches of gummies there, well done!

The pic was the main reason I posted, hilarious I think,  I didn’t know it was taken, I can only think I was righting my head by looking at the horizon after having my head down in the boat

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

A few nice critters there.

Thanks, not much skill involved, a lot less finesse than your efforts. 

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

My favourite fish to eat Billmack. I didn't know they "schooled" either. Learn something every day. bn

I now have to assume they do with 5 hooks ups in the same place in a short time. 

49 minutes ago, JonD said:

Was trying to work out how you had that rod down inside your shirt!!!!

Haha, didn’t see that till you mentioned it. 

2 minutes ago, Billmack said:

Thanks, not much skill involved, a lot less finesse than your efforts. 

They put up a bit more fight than a flattie, and you wonder what is on the hook when winding up from the depths.

21 hours ago, Yowie said:

They put up a bit more fight than a flattie, and you wonder what is on the hook when winding up from the depths.

Yes, but for some reason the flatties that day had a lot of energy and fought more than normal, lost many on the way up, changed hooks, but they had weetbix or something for brekky. 🧐

• Haha 1