Good day on the kingies

Pickles

Couldn’t get out Monday & rest of the week looks like crook weather, so Tuesday offered a chance to fulfil a promise to an ex-student from a few years back to get his first kingie. Bait was really tough at George’s Head, but we got enough Yakkas & squid and headed outside. The sea was a bit sloppy, but low swell and not much wind, so the 1/2 trip was pretty good. Aiden hooked up first on a yakka and then the 2 other rods ent off - triple hookup😊.

I decided to swap to 7” sluggo’s and “white sparkle” Atomic Plazos and 5” red rooster Plazos. But the kings were hitting any live bait, strip bait or SP tossed at them (including the ubiquitous “bana lure”.

God was good and we left them biting after boating 16 and keeping a few for the plate.

A great day with mates in the water.

14D13E38-E194-4DA1-A86C-7709B451D6DF.jpeg

D8C3EC94-1E81-4EFD-9445-33ACD5A1B067.jpeg

EC09085A-05FE-46FF-A502-BB9C5183D3B8.jpeg

559793AE-A1A0-4053-B086-EB12D0F787E0.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Good to see some kings back on the prowl.

If those banana's are such good luck I think you need to try this one to try & catch them 😁

Banana_web.jpg.1ddd24e27f275ba34caaf368d69023ab.jpg

I suppose it would be a sinking lure?

3 hours ago, corro said:

Looks like a great session!

What's your retrieval technique on the sluggos? I've not managed to get a hit on one yet if you're able to offer any advice!

Hey Corro, I do a “walk the dog” retrieve, which gets the lure scooting from left to right in a jerky motion. I do this by holding the rod (Terez) side on and jerking back with a sweeping action and then winding as I pull the rod forward. I do this prettybriskly, then pause for a second and repeat. This makes the SP, jerk from left to right.

hope this helps.

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Good to see some kings back on the prowl.

If those banana's are such good luck I think you need to try this one to try & catch them 😁

Banana_web.jpg.1ddd24e27f275ba34caaf368d69023ab.jpg

Top looking lure Adrian, not sure about the action though?

Just now, zmk1962 said:

You're smashing them Bob  ... all hail @Pickles the king-master ! 🤙  👍 

As I said in my text ... I'm ready to be your apprentice 🤓  ... where do I send the application ?

Cheers Zoran 

Aw shucks Zoran, you’re too kind. I’ll be in touch 

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great that they may be starting to come back in numbers Bob. Keep me posted, I'm still interested in coming back to get a legal one for the freezer. Hopefully in the next few months. Great pics with the bananas Bob.

Cheers, Neil

Neil, I know where they are, but can’t get there in my boat unless conditions are near perfect. Today was OK, but first time in 3 weeks. Come February, they should be around in numbers. - I’ll certainly keep your the loop Neil.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Hey Corro, I do a “walk the dog” retrieve, which gets the lure scooting from left to right in a jerky motion. I do this by holding the rod (Terez) side on and jerking back with a sweeping action and then winding as I pull the rod forward. I do this prettybriskly, then pause for a second and repeat. This makes the SP, jerk from left to right.

hope this helps.

Cheers, I'll let you know how I go!