Crowdy Head- Burning the Candle

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Talk about burning the candle at both ends! 
So after yesterdays efforts on some snaps and kings, I was on my way home from the boat ramp when I get a call from a mate asking if I wanted to go fish Crowdy head today. I explain to him that it’s been a big day and that I hadn’t even got home yet! He was pretty insistent lol 😝 So I asked my lovely wife and put some sleep on the back burner and headed up there after finishing school duties. 
Arrived at caravan park at 730, in bed by 930 and up at 3am and off to the ramp! Coffee in hand we launch around 4am and off to our mark. Now my mate fishes bait and me plastics. I cast first but being a new area I need to work it out. He drops down and hooks up instantly. Then next drop he’s on again. Two pannies from the mate and then I hear him give me some motivation with the call of “2 nil”. 
Well that was all I needed to make sure my casts were long, I chose the right jig and plastic. Fair to say from that moment I had chosen the right plastic and weight for the current as I began to bring fish in deck pretty consistently and some good ones too! After the second drift he conceded defeat at 9-3 but I still couldn’t convince him to take up the plastics. 
He thought we’d move out to the deep to even the scores but that didn’t work either as I switched to a few jigs and we had similar success on some flatties and more snapper. 
Put in a solid effort all day and I didn’t touch a baited hook. We bagged out on snapper and about 10 decent flatties to add to the bag! Left Crowdy at 2pm for the drive home. To say I’m looking forward to tonight’s sleep is understatement. Had a few offers to head out tomorrow but I think I’m done for the week! 
Or am I???? 😂😂😂

Thanks for reading, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

93507783-0DE9-490B-9BB6-AABBD6877127.thumb.png.ef368ccb508102fffb25355d27988638.png

49179AE3-3C72-47E0-B074-FFE3524CB732.thumb.jpeg.0ad65085c8c98dbbae5f958cdb1dc801.jpeg

• Like 23

Great job Jeff! Some people just can't be convinced! Only cure is for them to go out one day - without bait as 'backup' - and succeed. I think you need to spring one on him one of these days...take him out and 'forget' the bait and any bait catching equipment. Then go catch Whiskers and he'll be converted 🤣

14 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Now that's a good looking box of fish. 

Great effort.

Cheers mate! Pretty happy with that lot 

12 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Great job Jeff! Some people just can't be convinced! Only cure is for them to go out one day - without bait as 'backup' - and succeed. I think you need to spring one on him one of these days...take him out and 'forget' the bait and any bait catching equipment. Then go catch Whiskers and he'll be converted 🤣

Hahahahahah! Guess plastics ain’t for everyone. He was amazed at how my jigs went on the flatty. With the conditions the way they were, my 60gram knife jig was the same result as his double hook paternoster with 12oz sinker 😂

11 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

That looks like some tasty tasty morsels there @Scratchie. Well done.

Cheers Isaac! 

11 hours ago, Yowie said:

A very nice bag of fish there Scratchie. Most of the reds look like a good eating size.

It gets to the point that sleep is needed. 😴

Thanks yowie! Just got 10 hours solid and didn’t move a muscle 😂😂

10 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great result Jeff - hope you get a “day off” to catch up on some sleep and recharge (and give the snapper a rest).

Thanks Bob. Did that last night and ready to go again 😂

9 hours ago, JonD said:

4am at the ramp😱 How do you get up without an hour of sunshine hitting the bed.

Hahahahha! Don’t think I’ve ever launched with the sun up! That’s for tourists. Lol 😝 

By then I’ve already caught a hand full 😂

8 hours ago, Hoods said:

Hey Scratchie welcome to the Mid North Coast. I shouldn't tell you this but your old mate Whiskers has some close relies up here. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Hoods. 
Yeah I fished the area a few times and met whiskers relos! Still working the place out though. Good thing is it’s only 2hrs from my place 🤙

8 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Awesome when a plan comes together like that. Great box of fish too !

Thanks Sam! Bit of fun exploring and landing a decent feed! 

I still remember some of your stories from NB on how you would finish work at the we small hours of the morning, go fishing, come home & go straight to work then go straight out fishing again after work the next day 😳

Good to see your still keen as ever Jeff :thumbup:

Just take it easy on the roads mate, lack of sleep & long road trips dont mix to well. 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I still remember some of your stories from NB on how you would finish work at the we small hours of the morning, go fishing, come home & go straight to work then go straight out fishing again after work the next day 😳

Good to see your still keen as ever Jeff :thumbup:

Just take it easy on the roads mate, lack of sleep & long road trips dont mix to well. 

Life’s short, play hard! 
I’m used to living off little sleep. Just enjoy making memories 🤙

Well done on another great session of quality fish 👍 The way you’ve been going, might need to get a bigger freezer mate 😄

On 12/17/2021 at 10:34 AM, Scratchie said:

Life’s short, play hard! 
I’m used to living off little sleep. Just enjoy making memories 🤙

Bakers know how to keep the candle burning, that’s what life’s all about making memories to reminisce about in the twilight years & having fun along the way 👍

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jenno64 said:

It’s funny how the scream of a reel makes any pain or discomfort disappear! Great effort Jeff and enough delicious fillets for Christmas dinner!

Cheers Rob! That sound sometimes keeps me awake at night 😂

21 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Once more,

you prove to be the fish whisperer! 

Hahahahah cheers mate! 

16 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great read, great haul, great angler... you are indeed the Snapper Whisperer. bn

Thanks BN. I’ll keep whispering as long as it keeps working 😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

You certainly seem to smash them with your plastics. What weight jig heads do you use? I seem to not get down deep enough when I try.

Cheers mate! If you read the article I wrote it will answer a lot of questions. But you must adjust your jig to the current. On this day, I was fishing 13-20m usually I use a 1/4oz but with the current ripping hard I changed it to a 3/8 and instantly hooked up! The key is definitely to be working the whole water column! 

• Like 1