Hacking fires

jenno64

Launched at 10 yesterday for a leisurely start on the flats pumping some nippers first up and collecting a few poddies. By midday the tide started rolling in but the whiting were not to be found. My heavier line with a large poddy screamed off and I thought I had hooked a decent flatty given the bait was pretty large. Very surprised to see a big bream turning on its side in the weed. Got him on board pretty quickly and he was only lip hooked. I realised why it had been such a lame fight as he had a deformed tail section and wouldn't have the power of a normal bream at that size. Took a quick pic on the lie detector and released him to fight another day.

Next catch was equally surprising as a pesky pelican swam across one of my lines and hooked up on 4lb braid, taking off and almost spooling me on my whiting rod. I managed to hold on and just as he took off again the leader snapped! I was thankful that I could retrieve about 80m of line and re-rig.

I pulled up stumps and moved up river to where the water was a bit discoloured. Drifted another flat and my lightest line screamed off and a thumper of a whiting came on board at 45cm. Tried a few surface lures as I drifted but no go. As the tide turned I used the electric motor to managed a slow troll and then the whiting came on, seemingly liking the moving baits. Over the next couple of hours I managed some really good fish with 3 over 40cm in total and a solid bag. In between fish I caught about 20 small pinkies, tarwhine and bream and only one undersized whiting. Water depth was around a metre and it had some colour in it.

I also got smoked by something, possibly a salmon or king as there were some pretty big boils going on and birds diving at bait.

Much nicer on the water with less boat traffic:) Very happy with the haul and today I'll take the fish down to the rock pool to do some serious filleting!

43cm bream (2).jpg

45cm ting (2).jpg

Whiting Jan 10 2022 (2).jpg

Edited by jenno64
Added a sentence
  • Like 17

Stellar catch there! I’d be happy with any one of those fish for a session!

I don’t often fish with livies but one of the few times I did at Fraser Island, I caught a bream! I also caught them on five inch plastics at the same spot. Makes you realise that they are proper predators in their own right.

Nice bag of fish there Rob.

If the bream had a normal tail section, you could have added another 1cm to the length.

Good sized whiting too. The biggest I have pulled out is 45cm, 3 at that size, but cannot catch any bigger. One of them was a big mother, literally, it weighed right on 2 pound and pulled like a train.

Superb effort Rob, some really nice whiting and one real stonker. Pity about the Pelican (often see them at the cleaning table with line or hooks in them).

Do you ever put a heavier line out for the odd Kingie? Or only target whiting and bream?

19 hours ago, motiondave said:

Excellent stuff, that's what I'm hoping to get there sometime, good feed of whiting...

Dave, you've made one journey here, just lock in the next!

19 hours ago, Restyle said:

Quality bag of fish! all great size as well. hope you left some for yowie to catch 

Yowie owns this river!

19 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Stellar catch there! I’d be happy with any one of those fish for a session!

I don’t often fish with livies but one of the few times I did at Fraser Island, I caught a bream! I also caught them on five inch plastics at the same spot. Makes you realise that they are proper predators in their own right.

Yes, I've caught bream before on poddies but not on 5 inch models!

19 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Top stuff they are some top fish that bream is one top fish  

Cheers

19 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great haul And photos.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel!

18 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice bag of fish there Rob.

If the bream had a normal tail section, you could have added another 1cm to the length.

Good sized whiting too. The biggest I have pulled out is 45cm, 3 at that size, but cannot catch any bigger. One of them was a big mother, literally, it weighed right on 2 pound and pulled like a train.

I think I was robbed with the bream length Yowie, I even reckon 2cm would have been fair:)

As for the whiting, it's the biggest I've caught for a while. This one was pretty lean so I think it may have just spawned so probably not that heavy. The best ever was a beast that I caught on a live prawn 20 years ago in Gunnamatta Bay. From memory it was up around 50! I thought it was a soapy until I dragged it up the beach:)

17 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

WOW, some real nice fish there.

Any bream or whiting over 40 is a great catch and to get both in a day is terrific.

Thanks, it's nice to get 2 species over 40 in one outing!

16 hours ago, dlvbw said:

Nice work Rob. Sweet sweet whiting! 

Sure are, I filleted them down at the beach yesterday and ate some last night, very sweet!

12 hours ago, Larkin said:

Great catch mate - that bream and whiting are monsters!!

Thanks Larkin!

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Superb effort Rob, some really nice whiting and one real stonker. Pity about the Pelican (often see them at the cleaning table with line or hooks in them).

Do you ever put a heavier line out for the odd Kingie? Or only target whiting and bream?

Thanks Pickles! I usually have one heavier line out with a poddy but I had none left by the time I hit the second spot. I'm keen to troll them for kings in the deeper water around here:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jenno64 said:

As for the whiting, it's the biggest I've caught for a while. This one was pretty lean so I think it may have just spawned so probably not that heavy. The best ever was a beast that I caught on a live prawn 20 years ago in Gunnamatta Bay. From memory it was up around 50! I thought it was a soapy until I dragged it up the beach:)

50cm is a big sand whiting. The biggest one I heard of was 52cm, caught by a fisho around Como many years ago, and, he did not eat fish. Just measured it and released it, said it was a great fighter.