A kingfish kinda day

Pickles

Had my buddy Peter and newbie fisho Graeme (a kingie virgin) out for the first time in 10days due to the big wet(again).

We headed out at 4.30 and hit the water at 5.40, went to the bait grounds and loaded up with “Kingie candy” sized Yakkas.

Met up with Bill ( @blaxland) and Lelio @Roseville21) and had a good chat, made a game plan and headed off.

We dropped our first baits under north head and had our first legal kingie in the “chilli bin” by 7.45 am. We headed off shore to Long reef in perfect conditions and although very slow we ended up with  6 kingies, biggest going 83cm and the smallest a “rat” not much bigger than the yellowtail we were using for bait.

Graeme had bought some which accounted for 6snapper over 35cm and one at 52.

As always, there were plenty of sweep hanging around, but they make great burley. 
God was good and we only needed one banana in the Berley pot to bring the Kingies on the bite.

A great day was had by all and Graeme still talking about his kingfish triumph - a really good effort and excellent angling skills especially as it was on 20lb gear.

097C2FF9-C452-4223-833C-3065B678E42F.jpeg

F5747701-D1CD-44A8-B3EC-98206C8A162A.jpeg

F9E85CD0-80AE-4699-85A8-842E4CA67E8D.jpeg

4E3B65BC-C2A9-443A-91E3-D7DFF60D08DF.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 16

14 hours ago, Yowie said:

Very nice there Bob, plenty of kingies, but I would take the reddies any day of the week.

The bigger snapper ate well (tea last night) - still prefer Kingies though (with banana fritters for desert)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Always putting the people on the fish Bob! Love ya work! Kings and snapper, perfect day! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers Jeff, the bigger snapper fight like Kingies at first and look spectacular when that red glint shows up on the surface 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, big Neil said:

Top stuff Bob and crew, especially that big Kingie. Great to reap the rewards after such a long barren stretch of foul weather. bn

Thanks Neil, if after Easter suits for a trip to “Kingie Country”, you’re still most welcome to stay - just got to get a week of clear weather and low swells and there has only been the odd day of this since January 😞 ( Inedible to pray harder)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Some amazing kings there @Pickles. Glad the weather held out for you! Last day before the rain starts again :( 

Thanks @Little_Flatty, I think we’re all hanging out for a decent spell of dry weather and flat seas- but winter is coming, so hopefully it’s on the way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great trip out @Pickles and gang, looking forward to the next report. Top fish👍

Hope there’s the weather opportunity for mor reports Isaac, wet weather and big seas a little “testing” - am getting some cash flow with teaching when I can’t fish though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigHorse said:

sounds like a great day out boys!

that snapper is a nice specimen!👍

Thanks @BigHorse, the snapper were actually by catch when targeting the Kingies, they tend to come up shallow after big seas and heavy swell and we’ve certainly had that over the weekend.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Pickles it always puts a smile on my face looking at your capture pics with the bananas.

Cheers Donna, sincerely hope no one is offended, I’m certainly not “making fun” of others superstitions and I I know a few Raiders are absolute about not having bananas on board. (I know one commercial operator who will not even allow Polly bananas onboard and will refund money rather than have them on on his charter??).

it just my “comment” ( a pic is worth 1000 words), on superstition, Luck and truth.

”Luck is where opportunity meets planning and experience”

22 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Pickles it always puts a smile on my face looking at your capture pics with the bananas.

Just now, Pickles said:

Cheers Donna, sincerely hope no one is offended, I’m certainly not “making fun” of others superstitions and I I know a few Raiders are absolute about not having bananas on board. (I know one commercial operator who will not even allow Polly bananas onboard and will refund money rather than have them on on his charter??).

it just my “comment” ( a pic is worth 1000 words), on superstition, Luck and truth.

”Luck is where opportunity meets planning and experience”

Donna, any chance of 2 more “Fish Raider” stickers for my boat - mine are so faded now, barely visible?
Bob

10 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Oh are they? I still have some people to send to and I will see what is left over. Will be only red or white.

Red would be great (boat is white hull, so probably wouldn’t see it). Many thanks Donna.