Ladies and Gentlemen, We got ‘em

AlbertW

Hey Raiders,

im currently in the car on the way back to the hotel, this report is going to need a bit of context as this is a very memorable moment for me.

( So I’ve been fishing since Tuesday and then donuted two sessions by myself and then surprisingly a charter which focused on softbaits, soft plastics, I fish underneath a bridge usually and there is a strong current and lots of shaggy areas, perfect for trout. My mates caught two trout on a tassie devil and I lost a bunch of lures)

Back to the report, I fished in the morning around at 10 till 11-12ish and then left for lunch. Came back with two new 20g tassies and had a few casts. Some snags that I freed but then it got tangled in a tree right next to me and I snapped the line and the lure fell in the water. I tried to get it a couple times but failed. I then switched to the other tassie which was the pink panther  colour and sadly after a few casts I lost it as well. I had a long and “mature” thought and decided to **** it and jumped in to the water which was knee deep I was wearing my long pants which got partially wet and my shoes were absolutely filled to the brim with ice cold water I slipt and after grazing my arm on the rocks I regained my balance for a successful retrieval. First cast nothing happens. Second cast and something nails my tassie as it hits the water it drags me towards the snags but I pulled him to the left- underneath the bridge and then into the shallow area it fought pretty well and after letting it run a bit I successfully lifted him out of the water for a quick photo. I have sort of a rule which is releasing the first fish of every species that I catch whether if it is legal or not. This brown trout was so beautiful and I decided to not break my rule and released him back in the water after a “thanks for playing little guy”. I’m sitting here in the car with my wet clothes and I think my parents are a bit pissed that I let it go.:mfr_lol::banana:

Anyways I’m pretty proud of this moment as  I only started lure fishing a while back and I did this solo, just by myself with my own instincts. I’m very happy that my first trout was a big one :)

Brown Trout was 45ish cm ( Measured with shoe)

Signing Off,

Albert

B58FD7B7-444E-43BD-81E9-95FACE3C7394.jpg

612F215E-1BD6-466F-94E7-583490498CA9.jpg

Edited by AlbertW
  • Like 23

5 minutes ago, AlbertW said:

Hey Raiders,

im currently in the car on the way back to the hotel, this report is going to need a bit of context as this is a very memorable moment for me.

( So I’ve been fishing since Tuesday and then donuted two sessions by myself and then surprisingly a charter which focused on softbaits, soft plastics, I fish underneath a bridge usually and there is a strong current and lots of shaggy areas, perfect for trout. My mates caught two trout on a tassie devil and I lost a bunch of lures)

Back to the report, I fished in the morning around at 10 till 11-12ish and then left for lunch. Came back with two new 20g tassies and had a few casts. Some snags that I freed but then it got tangled in a tree right next to me and I snapped the line and the lure fell in the water. I tried to get it a couple times but failed. I then switched to the other tassie which was the pink panther  colour and sadly after a few casts I lost it as well. I had a long and “mature” thought and decided to **** it and jumped in to the water which was knee deep I was wearing my long pants which got partially wet and my shoes were absolutely filled to the brim with ice cold water I slipt and after grazing my arm on the rocks I regained my balance for a successful retrieval. First cast nothing happens. Second cast and something nails my tassie as it hits the water it drags me towards the snags but I pulled him to the left- underneath the bridge and then into the shallow area it fought pretty well and after letting it run a bit I successfully lifted him out of the water for a quick photo. I have sort of a rule which is releasing the first fish of every species that I catch whether if it is legal or not. This brown trout was so beautiful and I decided to not break my rule and released him back in the water after a “thanks for playing little guy”. I’m sitting here in the car with my wet clothes and I think my parents are a bit pissed that I let it go.:mfr_lol::banana:

Anyways I’m pretty proud of this moment as  I only started lure fishing a while back and I did this solo, just by myself with my own instincts.

Brown Trout was 45ish cm ( Measured with shoe)

Signing Off,

Albert

IMG_2456.MOV 768.31 kB · 0 downloads

B58FD7B7-444E-43BD-81E9-95FACE3C7394.jpg

612F215E-1BD6-466F-94E7-583490498CA9.jpg

Awesome bro!

Efforts paid off with a stunning looking fish like that.

That's an awesome fish. I'm yet to catch trout myself but you have got me excited!

You know you have been bitten by the fishing bug when you go to the lengths that you did. Definitely a memory you will look back fondly!

• Like 1

Congratulations @AlbertW! I am yet to land a trout in the wild off my own steam myself. It is a satisfying feeling, setting yourself a stretch goal and working it out.

I know the feeling of having people annoyed at you for not keeping a fish. When the DPI first recommended that we don't eat fish out of the Parra all those years ago, I started releasing all my catch from out of there. There were a few who weren't happy with me, particularly the older family members! 🤣

Do try to keep the odd fish and learn to dispatch/ice/clean/cook them properly for your family. By the looks of things, they certainly seem happy to drive you around a lot to satisfy your fishing interests. It's a nice way to repay them for their encouragement of your fishing exploits :) 

• Like 1

Hi Albert.

I'm really proud of you on multiple levels.

• The effort you put in to learn how to cast more effectively from our first lesson,
  • That you think about what I'm trying to teach you about lure fishing and come back with well thought out questions
  • That you give everything I been teaching you a go (even when I push you that little bit further).
  • That you used what I said for this trip and then did the research
  • That you persisted for the trout and rescued the lure.
  • That you didn't get downhearted and learned just as much from what wasn't quite working
  • That you weren't afraid to ask for a little guidance.
  • That you caught and released that beautiful fish.

Well done and looking forward to seeing your fishing knowledge grow even further.

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi @AlbertW

Just realised this morning why you are probably losing so many lures. If we'd covered bass fishing you'd probably be having less issues.

Not sure if you will get anymore sessions over there but if you do...

Most of what I taught you is rod tip down due to the wind and the nature of the areas we normally fish in Sydney. In shallow water at distance try starting with having the rod tip high (say, way above your head). This will create a slight upward trajectory on the lure and keep it above the snags. As you wind the lure closer and closer you can gradually lower the rod tip as the lift becomes less important.

This method allows you to fish shallow waters of say 50cm to 1m deep. A lot is by feel - if you start feeling bumps against rocks or similar then lift the rod tip higher and or wind a little faster. With the Celta spinners we try and wind it back as slow as possible without hitting the bottom. It is a balancing exercise and this is what we would have been doing for bass.

Hope this helps.

Derek

10 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi Albert.

I'm really proud of you on multiple levels.

• The effort you put in to learn how to cast more effectively from our first lesson,
  • That you think about what I'm trying to teach you about lure fishing and come back with well thought out questions
  • That you give everything I been teaching you a go (even when I push you that little bit further).
  • That you used what I said for this trip and then did the research
  • That you persisted for the trout and rescued the lure.
  • That you didn't get downhearted and learned just as much from what wasn't quite working
  • That you weren't afraid to ask for a little guidance.
  • That you caught and released that beautiful fish.

Well done and looking forward to seeing your fishing knowledge grow even further.

Derek

Aww thanks Derek, I wouldn’t be here without your mentoring and help 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi @AlbertW

Just realised this morning why you are probably losing so many lures. If we'd covered bass fishing you'd probably be having less issues.

Not sure if you will get anymore sessions over there but if you do...

Most of what I taught you is rod tip down due to the wind and the nature of the areas we normally fish in Sydney. In shallow water at distance try starting with having the rod tip high (say, way above your head). This will create a slight upward trajectory on the lure and keep it above the snags. As you wind the lure closer and closer you can gradually lower the rod tip as the lift becomes less important.

This method allows you to fish shallow waters of say 50cm to 1m deep. A lot is by feel - if you start feeling bumps against rocks or similar then lift the rod tip higher and or wind a little faster. With the Celta spinners we try and wind it back as slow as possible without hitting the bottom. It is a balancing exercise and this is what we would have been doing for bass.

Hope this helps.

Derek

I’ll practice this method with Celtics and the tassies as I’m going on a session right now and I’ve gotten use to the area and know where the snags are and where the fish are after some aerial reconnaissance.

Sounds more like the plot from an Indiana Jones movie Albert. You will go a long way with that sort of determination young fella. Very well done on the (eventual) catch and the release of this fine specimen. Job well done.

ps your parents must be very proud of you, obvious by the level of their tolerance.

Keep going with your fishing "adventures", and posting the results on here. I'm sure you are making the day for a lot of Raiders who can't enjoy their fishing at present.

Cheers, bn

• Like 2

Great report Albert & congrats on knocking off a new species as well as working out the area & cracking the code, even getting cold feet to salvage the tassie. Hope you get to upgrade your PB while your still there 😎👍👍