Trip to the Snowies

GordoRetired

A very old friend of mine has been inviting me to go and fish with him on his property which has the Murrunbidgee river running through it up in the hills outside Adaminaby for ages, this week I finally took him up on his kind offer.
Set off from Sydney at 7.00am on Monday morning and drove down to meet up in Adaminaby, to find his place, apparently it is not that easy. After a 1/2 drive along some pretty sketchy 'roads', muddy dirt tracks is a better name even if they were showing on the GPS as recognised roads, we arrived. Unpacked and headed down to the river. I was introduced to Trout heaven, a stunning bush setting where peace and tranquility were the order of the day. The below picture does not do it justice, being a panoramic view it looks like a bend but is actually straight.

IMG_1169.thumb.JPG.51a47a5ce6e55f71abfd9a9bcf76867e.JPG

We started fishing using 2 rods each, one rigged with a set up very similar to a whiting rig, running sinker to a swivel, then around a meter of 4lb trace to a small hook which we loaded with worms from his worm farm. The other rod in hand with small trout lures. The first session produced 2 nice Rainbow trout for my mate Adrian, I only managed one hook up on a lure and after 30 seconds of spectacular jumping the fish spat the hooks, so nothing landed for me. Never mind, the setting and that I did actually have a fish on meant that I was more than happy.

Day 2 we headed to a different spot which involved crossing a creek around 3 foot deep and some very muddy track with huge pot holes filled with water. After a while, we had caught a few Rainbows when Adrian hooked onto a real nice Brown, as Browns are nowhere near as common as Rainbows in the river he released the Brown to fight another day.

IMG_1161.thumb.JPG.be15d597bcd738e35b775c2728d520dc.JPG

Day 3 Adrian has some work to get done so I headed down on my own. The weather decided to test my resolve to fish by snowing for an hour but I was in no mood to quit. And was I glad that I did not as it was a productive morning with lots of fish caught and released.

IMG_1167.thumb.JPG.6b975e8cf581fc67114d658e9d6a8ac4.JPGIMG_1168.thumb.JPG.fda1f531a0284c18d1f04c7a53484a72.JPG

After lunch we headed back down and had a fun time catching and releasing a heap of fish, not all went back but we would have released more than we kept. To make sure that we were doing the right thing the boss Wallabie sat on the opposite back checking us out while I relaxed watching back 🙂 

IMG_1170.thumb.JPG.e1c2e4d8153e28277f256221b55f4324.JPGIMG_1155.thumb.JPG.efc45ca48f7fd84a86788d74307a0cab.JPG

Final day and I was determined to make the most of it getting to the river bank with line in at 7.00am. Weather was a bit chilly, 1 degree, but I was rugged up so no worries. It turned out that the early start was a good plan as within 30 minutes I had landed a couple of decent fish and then had a big Brown smash my lure. Unfortunately it hit so hard the the lure was stuck down it throat with the hooks in his gills so it was not release-able and had to come home with me. I fished till 12.00 releasing a few more Rainbows then headed back for lunch.

After lunch we headed back to the river for our final session of the week and it was a good one. Lines in by 3.00pm We hooked quite a few fish, released most of them and then I hooked into the best Rainbow of the week. Picture below. It put on a great aerial display before I managed to get it to the bank. A lot of fun to watch.  Adrian also got his fly rod out which I had a go with. Managed to kind of get the fly out but soon went back to my spinning rod while Adrian proceeded to land a pair of nice Rainbows on fly. It was fun watching someone who know what they are doing casting a fly.When it got to 7.00pm we decided to call it a day and head back for a glass of red, which after spending 9 hours fishing I was looking forward to. I don't know how many casts I would have made during the day but my arm is still feeling sore.

IMG_1181.thumb.JPG.70837b153f59b42bb72bf26340421f31.JPGIMG_1177.thumb.JPG.8f59b8ed4bce00eb50c40bb78f657b5f.JPG

That was that for the week, we honestly lost count of how many fish we caught, all but 2 of them lively Rainbows, there was not a single session where we did not hook at least a few. 

The only thing that did suffer was my car. I mainly have a 4WD to tow my boat, but this week I certainly put it's off roading capabilities to the test. I have never had a car get so filthy, don't ask me how but it even has mud on the roof! ! ! ! The picture below by the Big Trout does not do it justice, it looks far worse in the flesh.. It's going to take me a few hours with a gurney tomorrow to get all the mud off.

IMG_1190.thumb.JPG.4e52625392269977d9aa092699814411.JPG

Got back to Sydney mid afternoon after an easy drive, the amount of traffic made me really appreciate just how tranquil and relaxing the week had been living off grid. Can't wait to do it again soon. 

Tight lines all.
Gordo.

Edited by GordoRetired
Typo
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

What a fabulous report Gordo, bet you won't hesitate next time Adrian invites you. Beautiful scenery and really, with all the rain we have  been having, the area looks to be in good condition. A trip to remember, that's for sure. bn

Thanks BN, I will absolutely jump at the chance to go there again. One of the best fishing trips I have ever been on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Looks like a great break from the big smoke.

It sure was, it was so remote that we did not see anything other than wild life, Wallabies, Platypus, a copper head snake and all sorts of bird life. The first person I saw other than Adrian and his wife after leaving Adaminiby was when I was almost back in Adaminaby 4 days later.   

• Haha 1

Gordo

What a great story beautifully told and accompanied by plenty of pics. As others have said, a peaceful remote location away from people with good fishing, wildlife and an old friend to share it with. As the overused saying goes, it doesn’t get much better!

I’m mainly a saltwater fisherman but discovered trout fishing a few years ago and I love it, the locations you’re fishing are wonderful and the trout really put on a performance when hooked. Must get back to it soon.

cheers

Fil

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Great report  great results  nice to see other raiders catchin trout  none of my mates bar one  like them  cant understand how a nice peaceful stream an fun fishing isn't enjoyable

I would love to do Trout fishing again, however my physical capabilities are far below par. I will have to be satisfied with reading reports from yourself and Gordo. Can't have everything in life, just have to be happy with what I do have, and the memories of what used to be. More than enough. bn

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

I would love to do Trout fishing again, however my physical capabilities are far below par. I will have to be satisfied with reading reports from yourself and Gordo. Can't have everything in life, just have to be happy with what I do have, and the memories of what used to be. More than enough. bn

Depending on where/how you fish for trout it is not that strenuous. Put a boat in at Lake Jindabyne and slow troll Tassie Devils is about as easy as it gets, or drive to a spot to sit on the bank at Jindy and throw out a baited hook, then sit back in a chair and wait till the lines needs winding in. Lure casting from the bank is hard work.... Just ask my shoulder right now as it's still sore. 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Depending on where/how you fish for trout it is not that strenuous. Put a boat in at Lake Jindabyne and slow troll Tassie Devils is about as easy as it gets, or drive to a spot to sit on the bank at Jindy and throw out a baited hook, then sit back in a chair and wait till the lines needs winding in. Lure casting from the bank is hard work.... Just ask my shoulder right now as it's still sore. 🙂 

Thanks for the encouraging words Gordo. I had only considered fly or lure fishing for them, in rugged country. I actually have an acquaintance who goes up the Snowy Mtns from Narrandera and he trolls lures around. I should have remembered that, and he is as inactive as I am. Gets quite a lot of decent Trout too.

What is the best time of year to go to Jindabyne and when is the season open?

Cheers, bn

Edited by big Neil
more info required
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, big Neil said:

What is the best time of year to go to Jindabyne and when is the season open?

Cheers, bn

The lake is open to Trout all year, the rivers have a closed season. During the warmer months the Trout tend to go deep so a lot of the locals, I met quite a few when I joined the Jindabyne Fish club, tend to start fishing at the end of the Ski season, mainly because a lot of them are too busy during the season, then take a break over Christmas and into the New Year, then start again mid to late Feb till the start of the Ski season. one of the problems during the really warm months is that there are a lot of boats around water skiing and generally enjoying the water. Apparently the extra noise in the water sends the trout running for cover.
Some of the best fishing is during the colder months. I have been down there with ice and frost covering the boat and -1 or 2 degrees as I launch before sun up. Seen some good fish on those days. 🙂

If you want to talk about how and where message me and I'll give you my phone number so we can talk through your options.

• Like 1

Thanks Gordo, I will do that. I have a friend who has a place at Talbingo. I have been there a few times but never seriously considered fishing up the Snowy Mountains range. Usually I am more than satisfied to fish the Murrumbidgee River, near to where I live. Can't see that as a valid option this coming Murray Cod season though. 

I'm planning a trip to Sydney for about the 3rd week of December, but nothing planned after that, except for a trip to Lake Mulwala, in February. Even that is going to be subject to how much more rain we end up getting, down in the South of the State.

Have you fished Talbingo before?

I'll be in touch, thank you. bn

• Like 1