2022, your best fish

Restyle

2022 is drawing to a close, all so quickly, so with that being the case, whats the best fish you've caught in the last 12 months & why?

For me personally it would be a 1.1m jew i caught up off the beach & the reasoning for it was it was already off previous successful Georges river trips which yielded 80cm to 1m jew after i've finally cracked the code and developed my own tatic to chasing them. What makes this fish even more special for me is it was my first ever beach jew and keeping tight to my plan which was burley and constant movement between various beach structure as the tides shifted. 

my one and only fishing goal for 23 would be a meter king from ether botany bay or port hacking. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c808e6529ad4e133105b1c89f1f72646.jpeg

• Like 12

My favourite catch of 2022 was a little Barramundi out of the Parramatta river. It was special because being in Sydney, I was totally not expecting it. This must have been a farmed fish, but even then it still knew how to boof a lure and jump when hooked. I have caught a better specimen than this in the NT, but this was arguably more memorable.

image.png.60efafbb1d7702f5d71e9838573f4831.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

No photo, but the estimated 1.7 to 1.75 m gummy shark last week. It fought hard, my left arm was still aching the following day from trying to lift it to the surface, but it wanted to stay down deep and boogie.

• Like 10

Great Question Chris, that’s a really nice Jewie, can understand why you’re so chuffed.

My most interesting catch is a toss up between a 33cm rainbow trout caught in the Hawkesbury this past week (never caught a trout before and not a common fish (until they opened the dam) and a 36 cm Bass caught on a banana soft plastic that legend @Waza , made for me.

B45C1E30-E98B-4890-ABC1-2F2B305CDCC3.jpeg

19D37449-D5C5-4B09-A3B2-1BF8EF849A20.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Pic
  • Like 11

I have two that were special for me, firstly the yellowfin caught on my first cast from the boat on a new grappler three piece travel rod.

IMG_6736.thumb.JPG.28cc3482845ee96eb8f47533b6e96d2a.JPG

Second was this 2.4m shovel nose ray, caught on a 4 piece travel rod (Bone voyage) and a 4000 stradic. This was caught fishing at anchor in strong current around a river entrance. There have been some other good memories over the year and some decent sized shore species but these two were special due to the company and the whole day that went with each fish. 

image.png.50f7846ba36d8523c7790e7ca7534a0e.png

Edited by JonD
  • Like 11

20 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

My favourite catch of 2022 was a little Barramundi out of the Parramatta river. It was special because being in Sydney, I was totally not expecting it. This must have been a farmed fish, but even then it still knew how to boof a lure and jump when hooked. I have caught a better specimen than this in the NT, but this was arguably more memorable.

image.png.60efafbb1d7702f5d71e9838573f4831.png

You'd be surprised, there's a fair few of them in the Sydney systems. I managed to see a good 50cm+ one cruise right past my feet while fishing in the cooks a few years back. Like you it caught me by surprise as it was the last thing I would have expected to see.

Called up one of my local fishing mates right after to let him know and he said it's the Buddhist monks. They buy live fish from the markets and release them back into the water as a way to gain good karma. Guess they just don't know that some fish prefer a lot warmer climates.

Just thought I'd shed a bit of light on the mystery. Great catch

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Berrero said:

You'd be surprised, there's a fair few of them in the Sydney systems. I managed to see a good 50cm+ one cruise right past my feet while fishing in the cooks a few years back. Like you it caught me by surprise as it was the last thing I would have expected to see.

Called up one of my local fishing mates right after to let him know and he said it's the Buddhist monks. They buy live fish from the markets and release them back into the water as a way to gain good karma. Guess they just don't know that some fish prefer a lot warmer climates.

Just thought I'd shed a bit of light on the mystery. Great catch

https://www.shabkar.org/donation/index.html

PS. Not posting this for the donation side of things.

• Like 2

I'll throw one up. Kimberleys WA.

Not a fish I was really chasing but a Blue Bastard (Yes that what they are called) as they can be a bugger to hook.

These have a following for the Fly Fishing fraternity as an Iconic Fly fishing target.

Over a period of time have seen them floating around and even 2 fighting on the surface where they lock Jaws. This one was taken on a Hard Body, Blue Nilsmaster Spearhead ... Oh the Sacrilege.

Water depth was approximately 1mt, around rocks and a mud bottom. Geez it played up on light gear. 

It was special as I've never caught one before and I was surprised when we saw it near the boat.

BB.jpeg

• Like 9

@mrsswordfisherman Hi. Congratulations on both PBs!! Hope you break them soon.  

I haven’t tried freshwater fishing in Australia yet. I’ve been thinking of catching carps. For fun and removal of pests. 

You look beautiful in those photos. Hope you have a fun time in Lake Mulwala catching lots of fish. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jfish said:

@mrsswordfisherman Hi. Congratulations on both PBs!! Hope you break them soon.  

I haven’t tried freshwater fishing in Australia yet. I’ve been thinking of catching carps. For fun and removal of pests. 

You look beautiful in those photos. Hope you have a fun time in Lake Mulwala catching lots of fish. 

You making me blush! :074: I am still going strong for a senior "old sheila"  :) 

I will put up a big report on our return :1fishing1: 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

My PB Redfin and PB Murray Cod caught at Lake Hume and Lake Mulwala this time last year (2022).

About to revisit those spots again to try for larger versions 👏😀🐠🐟🎣7E0E510C-30D7-4E0C-A3F2-989AD74CD56D.jpeg

E41515F1-F3E2-4F9C-BA72-9B3C6572994D.jpeg

That's a beauty of a Redfin Donna, hope you manage to get among them on your next visit. bn

• Thanks 1