Massive Hacking Trevally and mixed bag

Mass

Headed out yesterday in search of some  Bream and Whiting. Was on the water just after 6am with my 80yr old uncle and a mate. Fishing was slow early on but as the current picked up on the rising tide, the bite picked up. Landed some quality bream and trevally before my uncle had the fight of his life on 6lb line with a small long shank hook. After about 15 mins, a 67cm Trevally was netted boat side and brought on board. It was the biggest Trevally I have seen come out of any estuary that I have fished. It measured 65-67cm and 3.3kg after being bled. We then went in search of Whiting and managed 5 decent fish, the biggest measuring 43cm (again, it was the 80yr old giving us a fishing lesson). Great day on the water although I believe the dredging taking place in the Hacking has affected the fishing somewhat. Can't complain. Still a decent catch.

20230312_155350.jpg

20230312_155452.jpg

20230312_155320.jpg

20230312_155527.jpg

Edited by Mass
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, Mass said:

Headed out yesterday in search of some  Bream and Whiting. Was on the water just after 6am with my 80yr old uncle and a mate. Fishing was slow early on but as the current picked up on the rising tide, the bite picked up. Landed some quality bream and trevally before my uncle had the fight of his life on 6lb line with a small long shank hook. After about 15 mins, a 67cm Trevally was netted boat side and brought on board. It was the biggest Trevally I have seen come out of any estuary that I have fished. It measured 65-67cm and 3.3kg after being bled. We then went in search of Whiting and managed 5 decent fish, the biggest measuring 43cm (again, it was the 80yr old giving us a fishing lesson). Great day on the water although I believe the dredging taking place in the Hacking has affected the fishing somewhat. Can't complain. Still a decent catch.

20230312_155350.jpg

20230312_155452.jpg

20230312_155320.jpg

20230312_155527.jpg

nice very nice! Was it past lilli pilli?

Great stuff Mass!

My son spotted a few oversized trevally last week and they certainly go hard and come up sounding in circles. Good to see the octogenarian shared his expertise🙏🏻

Great haul overall!

Edited by jenno64
Typos

I used to live at Lilli Pilli and I remember being 10 years old, my grandfather hired a row boat from the Lilli Pilli boatshed and we went across and fished the channel in front of Rathane and Deer Park Anglican camps. I hooked a trevally that was easily around 80cm, on a hand line. Fed my whole family that night. That was 55 years ago and I still remember it clearly.

• Like 1