Jewfish & Teraglin

Larkin

Gday Raiders!

decided to target Jewfish and Teraglin today. Rode out of port hacking and loaded up on yakkas out the front.

Had a mate join up with me out of botany & we headed north, up Maroubra way.

Finally cracked the meter mark!!

Af first I thought I had hooked a large snapper as I felt head shakes but then it put out a couple of long line pulling runs. After a good hard fight, up came a nice Jew.

It went 101cm, followed by a second smaller one at just over 90cm - released. Also picked up a 40cm snapper which I ended up giving to a couple of spear fishermen at the ramp that didn’t have much luck.

Big Jew caught on a 2-3 inch salted mackerel strip bait using a paternoster rig 5/0 hook. Smaller Jew and the 2 Trag caught on live yakkas using a paternoster rig 7/0 hook.

We also caught a few rat kings along the cliffs on the way back in - largest around 55-60cm

IMG_3593.thumb.jpeg.83047018dcd7d5bbfd9b17df213898f0.jpeg

IMG_3569.thumb.jpeg.9b0a3374685bb3733b80a7bf31ed0f92.jpeg

a899366f-afc3-4389-8a13-c7e1b7484af4.thumb.jpeg.e58994449f495834e5e0e02f7af005b1.jpeg

IMG_3542.thumb.jpeg.7b711293e6055caa8beacd12565dabdc.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 18

Great catch Chris!

Cracking the meter mark is definitely a memorable moment. congrats on the PB

While there is a debate as to which species is the better eating I personally prefer jewfish over trag. I’ve noticed with trag it’s best eaten fresh, even after bleeding and vac sealing, the trag still has a slight fishy odour. It’s still a great eating fish but I find jewfish a much better eating and I enjoy the texture more.

My boat buddy has been busy with work and overseas so we’ve been itching to go offshore and have been waiting for what fells like eternity (6 weeks 😂) and still waiting. Hopefully next week we might see you on the water.

• Thanks 1

Nice work Chris. My biggest jew is 101cm, caught at Kalbarri W.A. in the darkness off the rocks. Certainly a size worth catching.

A couple of trags, and a released jewie makes for a good trip out.

Currently sitting in the van in central Victoria, rain bucketing down. Always next week when I head home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, whiskey299 said:

Great catch Chris!

Cracking the meter mark is definitely a memorable moment. congrats on the PB

While there is a debate as to which species is the better eating I personally prefer jewfish over trag. I’ve noticed with trag it’s best eaten fresh, even after bleeding and vac sealing, the trag still has a slight fishy odour. It’s still a great eating fish but I find jewfish a much better eating and I enjoy the texture more.

My boat buddy has been busy with work and overseas so we’ve been itching to go offshore and have been waiting for what fells like eternity (6 weeks 😂) and still waiting. Hopefully next week we might see you on the water.

Thanks Brad!

Been chasing the meterie Jew on and off for a couple of years. 

Trag is unbelievable beer battered - a side of home made tartare and squeeze of lemon or lime and there’s nothing better. 

I know I’ll be seeing you out on the water mate!

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice work Chris. My biggest jew is 101cm, caught at Kalbarri W.A. in the darkness off the rocks. Certainly a size worth catching.

A couple of trags, and a released jewie makes for a good trip out.

Currently sitting in the van in central Victoria, rain bucketing down. Always next week when I head home.

Thanks Dave!

looks like we’ve got matching PB’s now! 

Would have been a great fight off the rocks! And landing it a little difficult.

yeah, we’ve got the rains here too. At one point out there everything looked the same from the low cloud and rain. Didn’t know which way was which.

13 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great stuff mate, lovely fish. Good few feeds of that lot.

Well done.

Thanks Isaac!

Been chasing the meterie for a while!
It came up to around 7-8kg. Spent the night filleting and vac sealing. 

7 hours ago, Restyle said:

Well done hitting the magic meter! Be sure to keep the jewels if the fish is that special. 

Thanks Restyle! 
I have the head put aside. 
any tips into getting them out? Fish this size, the head’s hard as a rock!

Not sure if I should cook it to get them out, or if the cooking would damage them. Any tips? 

6 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great result Larkin especially with all the rain about and the threat of more to come. Very thoughtful to give the spear fishers something to take home, good onya.

bn

Thanks Neil!

Plenty of rain early on when I was out there! The two young fellas didn’t have much luck - only speared a morwong and a dozen slimies. I offered them a trag too, but I don’t think they knew what it was and how good eating they are. They offered to take the jewie though 😂

4 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Geeezzz you’re kicking some more goals there on the Ski. Very nice fish.

Thanks Blackfish!

I try to keep it interesting and switch up my fishing every week.
Still a few I’m chasing on my list 😉 

cheers!

4 hours ago, XD351 said:

Awesome fish mate ! You are definitely proving that a ski can be a versatile fishing platform! 

Thanks XD!
Cheers mate, was a fish I’ve been chasing for a while.

The JetSki is definitely versatile as a fishing tool. Can fish inside, outside, out wide and handles the conditions great. 

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Blackfish said:

That would be an interested list. What would you like to get next.

I plan to try for a marlin off the ski this summer (small one please). I have a mate that’s also keen, so will be at least a two ski challenge. It’ll be an adventure trying if nothing else.

On top of that looking to crack a meter king - so far this year, 93cm’s been my best.

Of the smaller species, the Pearlie evades me - so it’s on my hit list too.😂

13 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Great fish Chris!

You are killing it and shifting PBS all the time! Congrats again👌

Thanks Rob! Been doing a lot of fishing mate!

You had a chance to get out lately?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

Great Jewie, well done.

Thanks Bessel! 👍

9 hours ago, Restyle said:

The jewels are where the spine meats the head, gills will need to be removed and are both under a oval shaped bit of bone. not too hard to get can be done with a sharp knife or chisel. They can be rather fragile. I’ve attached a video 

https://youtu.be/Y_4qwlJRcGE?si=b6tEqlziYvufoZ8I

thanks restyle - that helped! 👍

IMG_3620.thumb.jpeg.7fdd16291c9a8f0f52516d987b278cb1.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Larkin said:

I plan to try for a marlin off the ski this summer (small one please). I have a mate that’s also keen, so will be at least a two ski challenge. It’ll be an adventure trying if nothing else.

On top of that looking to crack a meter king - so far this year, 93cm’s been my best.

Of the smaller species, the Pearlie evades me - so it’s on my hit list too.😂

Thanks Rob! Been doing a lot of fishing mate!

You had a chance to get out lately?

No my boat has been off the water waiting on a part for nearly 3 months....its killing me!

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, jenno64 said:

No my boat has been off the water waiting on a part for nearly 3 months....it’s killing me!

Hope they get it in before the holidays! 

7 hours ago, Bardy said:

Nice fish Chris... Trag are great on the plate... Much better than Jew IMO. 

Thanks Bardy!

im a fan of trag too. One of my favourite fish to eat!

18 hours ago, Crabstar said:

Quality catch mate, conditions looked mint too?

Thanks Crabstar!

it was raining early on, but swell and wind were low which made it nice to be out there.

4 hours ago, kantong said:

amazing work mate! what a quality looking fish, congrats!

Thanks Kantong!

Tried there a few weeks back, but no bites that day. This time the fish were there and managed a PB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Back in Sydney now. Just saw a photo of a jewie caught in the Hacking. 

sorry, but it was bigger than yours. 🤣  Only guessing, maybe 1.2 m.

Haha, means I have to get out there and try for something bigger!

very good size fish for the hacking, they get it on a live bait?

6 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Haha, means I have to get out there and try for something bigger!

very good size fish for the hacking, they get it on a live bait?

Young neighbours friend sent him the photo. He caught a squid, hooked it up and tossed it in from the family wharf. Gave the rod to his girlfriend, and she has not caught much at all, ever, until a few nights ago. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/24/2023 at 9:06 PM, Larkin said:

Gday Raiders!

decided to target Jewfish and Teraglin today. Rode out of port hacking and loaded up on yakkas out the front.

Had a mate join up with me out of botany & we headed north, up Maroubra way.

Finally cracked the meter mark!!

Af first I thought I had hooked a large snapper as I felt head shakes but then it put out a couple of long line pulling runs. After a good hard fight, up came a nice Jew.

It went 101cm, followed by a second smaller one at just over 90cm - released. Also picked up a 40cm snapper which I ended up giving to a couple of spear fishermen at the ramp that didn’t have much luck.

Big Jew caught on a 2-3 inch salted mackerel strip bait using a paternoster rig 5/0 hook. Smaller Jew and the 2 Trag caught on live yakkas using a paternoster rig 7/0 hook.

We also caught a few rat kings along the cliffs on the way back in - largest around 55-60cm

IMG_3593.thumb.jpeg.83047018dcd7d5bbfd9b17df213898f0.jpeg

IMG_3569.thumb.jpeg.9b0a3374685bb3733b80a7bf31ed0f92.jpeg

a899366f-afc3-4389-8a13-c7e1b7484af4.thumb.jpeg.e58994449f495834e5e0e02f7af005b1.jpeg

IMG_3542.thumb.jpeg.7b711293e6055caa8beacd12565dabdc.jpeg

HOW GOOD IS THAT 

• Thanks 1