Botany bay 10/3/20

kingie chaser

Hi Raiders, launched from Foreshore at 6.30am & headed straight to the usual area to get some yakka's.

With a few in the live well & then slow trolled along Molly mall & around the corner for no hits but did see a couple of nice looking fish on the sounder.

Anchored in 15mtrs water just east of the point with 4 other boats.

Saw a couple of rats come on board the other boats but no keepers.

Had 1 rod down near the bottom with a livie & the other with a large strip of squid.

Had a hit on the squid rod & felt a bit of weight but not enough pull to be a king.

As it got to the top I was shocked to see that it was a gummy.

Wasn't sure what was legal as its not on the NSW DPI list but looked up the Vic specs & it was ok so kept it as I have never eaten it before so wanted to give it a try.

Will have to claim it as a PB @90cm as well seeing its my 1st :biggrinthumb: 

Hung around for another 1/2hour but nothing happening so decided to do a couple of drifts at the flathead grounds but nothing.

Wind came up to 15/20knts around 10.30 so pulled the pin & headed home.

gummy3.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Will see how tasty it is tonight & will post in the kitchen.

No seals to be seen this time but yeh there do frequent the place.

There & the 4 cans near the wharf.

Probably my favourite fish (Gummy Shark). Beautiful white, firm flesh. Tasty with Tempura batter. Yum, bn

• Like 1

Kingie Chaser

that must be the guy i dropped a few weeks bay while in the bay.  I was with a lot of other boats near the artificial reefs in yarra bay and i think he took my prawn on my small bread rod.  got him up to the side of the boat and was trying to net him (was by myself) but went under boat and broke my line.

I am taking a day of leave friday to go fish ,looks like a nice day so hopefully i catch something.... obviously a kingie will be nice like my first outing, but will be happy catching anything lol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, M1100S said:

Kingie Chaser

that must be the guy i dropped a few weeks bay while in the bay.  I was with a lot of other boats near the artificial reefs in yarra bay and i think he took my prawn on my small bread rod.  got him up to the side of the boat and was trying to net him (was by myself) but went under boat and broke my line.

I am taking a day of leave friday to go fish ,looks like a nice day so hopefully i catch something.... obviously a kingie will be nice like my first outing, but will be happy catching anything lol

Could be the same one hard to say, I can't imagine there to to many in there.

After I netted it with my enviro net & got it over the boat it thrashed around & come out of the net but I had a double hook snell rig & both hooks were in it so it wasn't getting away with 30lb leader which I was using because I was targeting kings.

God luck tomorrow 

Yep, Gummy are great table fare BUT u need to bleed and gut them straight up... otherwise they are prone to an ammonia taste. When u bleed them u have to cut behind the head all the way through the spine and then nick the fillet just up from the base of the tail to allow the blood to flow. U can also go up through the gut cavity "mid flank" and severe the blood line there as well.. It makes a massive difference to the table quality....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bardi said:

Yep, Gummy are great table fare BUT u need to bleed and gut them straight up... otherwise they are prone to an ammonia taste. When u bleed them u have to cut behind the head all the way through the spine and then nick the fillet just up from the base of the tail to allow the blood to flow. U can also go up through the gut cavity "mid flank" and severe the blood line there as well.. It makes a massive difference to the table quality....

Yes I understand this now that I watched a youtube on how to debone them.

If I ever get one again well do the job the right way.

I did kill it straight away but considering I didn't bleed & gut it, I didn't notice ammonia taste.

It was gutted & cleaned within a couple of hours of being caught though!