Brisbane Water Reds 02/10/21

Brendan Monks

It’s been long time between sessions, only really getting out for a spin off the beaches for Tailor and a quick flick to chase some backwater Bass during lockdown. After picking the brains of @Scienceman earlier in the year on chasing some Luderick (And never getting out to do so) he kindly invited me for an early morning fish in his boat!  

The forecast wasn’t looking to kind with showers expected all morning, but an early check looked like someone had gotten it totally wrong! Not a cloud in site! After a quick 6:00am launch at Woy Woy boat ramp and short cruise up Paddy’s Channel we soon had a bait out and worked an area Wazza had always gotten a feed of Flatties with plastics.

After a few hours of zilch – Not that it mattered! It’d been way too long since we’d both been on the water, Wazza made the call to push further up into Brisbane Waters to try another spot he knew and try get us out of the wind. This spot also started off very slow until all hell broke loose the next few hours or so! 😀

1306646350_WazzaOn!.thumb.jpg.944dd7ee49966bdf6b4d93d92c4784b8.jpg

The bait rod quickly went off as we drifted into deeper water and soon had a 35cm Snapper on board. I commented that I didn’t know they even got this big in Brisbane Water. Wazza decided to keep it in the livewell in case we got more for a feed! It didn’t seem long before he had another one the same size join it in the boat and it was looking like I wasn’t going to get a thing. 🙄

849279961_BrisbaneWaterSnapper3.thumb.jpg.816b595006ef0da80251e3a9058eb85d.jpg

But…The rod I had decided to rig for bait all of a sudden took a massive run, taking the line almost down to the backing. We quickly called it for a small Jewie although I couldn’t feel any headshakes. I then thought it may be a stingray as it took another long run down stream without slowing down. After a few more short runs we finally got colour. RED! This looked a cracker fish and Wazza quickly had it in the net. 50cm in the Broadwater, still can’t believe it!

1627887782_BrisbaneWaterSnapper1.thumb.jpg.2fe96759b99e6531df1b9e7378fb6cec.jpg

223207013_BrisbaneWaterSnapper2.thumb.jpg.3b620167cfc9280d7a61b1fa9ef8005d.jpg

Wazza continued to add to the bag with a beautiful 60cm Flattie hooked and landed soon after. With a few smaller Flatties and more Snapper on both the bait and plastics joining the bag we decided to call it a day at 12:00pm. A nice size tailor also had a lucky day that Wazza caught and released after we had already taken a few happy snaps. It was absolute bedlam back at the ramp as every man and his dog also had the same idea.

443091162_BrisbaneWaterFlathead.thumb.jpg.af0dd34ddbf03ac102d320e19e4a7844.jpg

1617128904_BrisbaneWaterFlathead-Snapper2.thumb.jpg.abfa6fce44ad5f61fbfbb3bab8c05578.jpg

1104521607_BrisbaneWaterFlathead-Snapper1.thumb.jpg.feb25c7bedba33c651a295a5c53e008d.jpg

I ended up getting a few feeds through the week out of the 3 fish I kept, making some fish tacos with the Snapper cooked in a spice mix, and fish wraps with the Flatties cooked in panko crumbs. 🤤

149605446_SnapperTacos.thumb.jpg.6e8fc192f768c56df676533ae087f135.jpg

1303754164_FlatheadWraps.thumb.jpg.f55da7c642e219a1be10dc825756067b.jpg

Thanks again for the cracker day on the water, and the beer Wazza! Can’t wait to get out again! 🤙🍻

1187960894_GosfordBroadwater.thumb.jpg.a4af162dd66223a93c464c04f191c03c.jpg

Cheers, Brendo

• Like 19

22 minutes ago, BigHorse said:

Well done for a great day on the water. 👍

Amazing photos and report! those fish wraps look delicious, 

Just wondering what bait you were using? Thanks

Cheers 🤙

Wazza brought along some chicken fillet as a plan B. Lucky he did as it accounted for pretty much all of the fish!

18 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Now that's a fishing report. Two raiders helping each other!

The dish served looked healthy and delicious. 

Thanks Donna! 

Red is the new silver!

Food looks great too Brendo, well have to chat more about cooking next time. My Thai fried whole fish in red curry sauce went down pretty nice as well. Flatties fileted in the freezer for next weekend. Look forward to our next outing and conversation on "life". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Brenda’ that’s a very healthy snapper for inside. They do come in though. I was with a buddy in middle harbour 2 years ago in November (18th) and he pulled in an 86 cm snapper. We all thought it was a Kingie, so they do get big inside. Well done on a great feed of quality fish.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2021 at 5:28 PM, zmk1962 said:

Top report @Brendan Monks .....and  @Scienceman .    What a collaboration and great outcome. Super fish.

My mouth absolutely watered at the food photos ... I am absolutely dying for some fresh fish.

Cheers and Thanks guys...

Zoran

Cheers Zoran. Hoping to see some of your reports come through now you guys can get out! 👌😀

On 10/8/2021 at 5:46 PM, kingie chaser said:

Thanks for sharing guys.

Looks like a great day was had.

Any day you can be on the water, catch a few bread & butter fish & end up with a feed like that at the end you would have to be stoked wouldn't you!

Nice presentation to mate 😉  

Yeah, froth levels were high! Both just happy to get back on the water (A feed was a bonus!) 😁

On 10/8/2021 at 7:30 PM, Yowie said:

A nice bag of fish there. A reddie around the 50 mark from up river is very welcome, and a good eating size.

Thanks yowie! 

On 10/8/2021 at 9:58 PM, Pickles said:

Nice work Brenda’ that’s a very healthy snapper for inside. They do come in though. I was with a buddy in middle harbour 2 years ago in November (18th) and he pulled in an 86 cm snapper. We all thought it was a Kingie, so they do get big inside. Well done on a great feed of quality fish.

Thanks pickles. Interesting!!! Hopefully we can find a few more 😀

On 10/9/2021 at 7:52 AM, Centrepin said:

Great report Guys.

These sort of reports keep you inspired through the tough times, whatever the cause.

Appreciated,

Geoff

Cheers Geoff 😀 Can confirm that the reports helped me (Wish I got out more). Happy we managed to add to them!

On 10/8/2021 at 6:28 PM, Scienceman said:

Red is the new silver!

Food looks great too Brendo, well have to chat more about cooking next time. My Thai fried whole fish in red curry sauce went down pretty nice as well. Flatties fileted in the freezer for next weekend. Look forward to our next outing and conversation on "life". 

Thanks again Wazza for the great day! 

We will have to add cooking to our chats 😄🤣

22 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Good stuff mate! Great report and good to see those reds turn up somewhere. There’s been a lack of them my way last few weeks! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers Scratchie! I'm expecting we'll be seeing a lot more snapper reports now you can get out to Broughton 😁😂 I'm still working on my boat so hopefully I can tow up soon for a crack!

• Like 2