Backed up on Jewies again and scored 2 over 90cm after yesterdays 90+

Pickles

I found a school of agro arrow squid in Pittwater (after an “all nighter” on Friday) that attacked my live baits whilst drifting for Flatties, so dropped some squid jigs (1.8 and 2.0 in natural colours) in behind and scored 15 in about 20 minutes. It’s not often squid are this easy, so got some for the freezer. Decided to go back to Juno and target Jewies at mid-tide with live squid and scored 2 more over 90, biggest going 93cm.

God is Good indeed, 3 big Jewies in 24hours (not my best, but certainly a creditable catch). 

Setup- A 2 hook rig with 20lb mono (no braid) and just enough lead to hold the bottom. Rod was a MF “crystal tip” (Ugly Stick) and 6000 Saragossa. 
3 of us on board and divided our catch up equally - staying in our bag limits and releasing 4 other Jewies - live squid are certainly the way to go this time of year. Thanks 

EC704F48-72C0-4FF5-9D61-F0AF99681B54.jpeg

35DA7CB1-9D0D-4A16-B305-838D2C6E5E37.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Like 17

47 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Well done mate! doesn’t matter the species, your onto them!!

You drifting the squid jigs? 
or cast retrieve?

Drifting - incoming tide. Small ball sinker down the line straight on to the jig, 

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Well done mate! doesn’t matter the species, your onto them!!

You drifting the squid jigs? 
or cast retrieve?

Too kind - not sure if you saw reply to Yowie, but drifting with small -1.8 & 2.0 jigs in natural colours with small (pea) ball sinker onto the jig.

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Another great day on the water Bob. Probably equally as hard to get that many squid as 3 Jewies over 90 cms, don't you think? Keep the reports coming, they're very enjoyable reading. Cheers, bn

A great day indeed Neil, 3 good Jewies is a good day (decided to give them a bit of a hurry up whilst Kingies are a bit inconsistent). The Kingies would touch squid, Yakkas or slimies n Saturday, so swapped to Jewies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

WELL done most people never catch that many in a life time!  Let alone in 24 hours.

Yep, it was a good day - The Kingies have been so inconsistent of late and only been getting one r two each trip, so decided to give the Jewies a hurry up. With the squid so prolific on Saturday - knew we’d have a good chance and being a school species, where there is one, there are usually more.

Well done on both fronts, haven’t had a good cutlet or Jew fillet in some time there also appears to be more & larger than usual arrows about this year, I’ve been catching them off the rocks where I’ve only managed green eyes in the past, I’m assuming it might be to do with less salinity & an abundance of bait

couple more nice schoolies to go down with. there are plenty of squid around at the moment all arrows as well. water might be a tad to warm for calis. 

Never used live squid for jewies tho. only fresh dead baits, may have to give it a try if I can find a spot close to my jewie grounds.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:59 AM, beachwormer said:

Hey Pickles

How do you approach hooking the jewies? Do you let them run with the bait for a bit before setting the hook, or just let them hook themselves?

I have very light drag on a 5000 Saragossa (small reel, but loud drag) and let them peel the line off for 4 - 5 seconds then lift and if they are still engaged, wind the drag up, but it’s only 20lb so let them run with minimal drag and then once they slow, wind drag a little more for the second run and then the “lift up, wind down” stuff happens. I use 20lb mono with 20lb fluro trace, 2 Mustad Penetrator hooks. Top hook an 8/0 and bottom hook 5/0.