Port Stephens- I FINALLY DONE IT 💪

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

This post is 20 years in the making! 
Whilst catching snapper is my most favourite fishing target, there are plenty more fish in the ocean so to speak. 
I’ve been fortunate enough to travel to many places chasing different species including an epic trip to Darwin with a bunch of legend fishraiders and tick many species off my list. Trips to QLD and northern NSW have seen me add to those lists but one fish that has eluded me my whole career and my nemesis is the dreaded COBIA!!! 

Well today @back cruncherand me hit the island after a promising trip a few weeks back that saw us lose a heap of fish. 

The day didn’t start out well and to be honest was looking rather bleak. We struggled to catch a livie and our first few drifts in two different areas only yielded a few bonito and some rat kings. 

So we headed back to the area that we copped a dusting previously and it wasn’t long until I heard the reel screaming. Mick didn’t hear it cos he’s half deaf 😂😂 but he heard me yell at him to start the motor. After a few runs and a couple of winds, snap goes the leader. Not again! Undeterred we kept casting and Mick loads up and this thing heads for NZ and snap goes that one too! 

We reset the drift and I cast out, about 10 seconds later and it’s screaming again! This time I set the hook and set it hard! I lose about 100m of line and call for mick to pull all the lines up! An epic battle ensued and about 5 minutes or so later, I get my first sight of the fish in the surface! It’s a friggin COBIA I call. The knees begin to weaken and my arms are shaking. I slowly compose myself and settle back into the fight. Another 10 minutes or so and I’ve finally got it boatside and it’s decent. Mick leans over and gaffs it and it’s almost in the boat. Then it rolls around, spits the gaff and heads back for the depths! Nooooooooooooo! 
I take another deep breath and start the fight again. Easy, easy and begin to wear it down as it’s doing the same to me! Lol 

Another 5 mins later and it’s within sight of the gaff and in she goes and into the boat. The relief was immense!!! A fish if a lifetime had just hit the deck. A few choice words and Hi 5’s then back to fishing. 
Not long after Mick pulls a good snapper, followed by two sharks and got dusted by another good snapper! Didn’t manage to find him his cobia but we know they’re out there! 

Overall, what started as a pretty ordinary day turned very epic in a turn of a reel. 
Sometimes it’s not just the fish either, it’s the company and Mick……. Your a legend mate! 

Broughton Island @9:31 mid tide 

gear: Okuma ITX 4000 

Atomic ARROWZ offshore 10-25lb 

20lb Dangar braid and 20 blackmagic leader 

Thanks for reading, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

C856EF8C-7486-4556-B7B0-82C72B30078A.thumb.jpeg.3e3f0fa10227fe4c87e5c08ed6c33c7c.jpeg

9D87E57A-E9F5-41FF-A13A-490B4CBA8215.thumb.jpeg.8d3e099b2bbd5900842eca979a3a2f41.jpeg

D0D99B60-F1A2-4469-9E2E-D4EC80CBDA7E.thumb.jpeg.d55ce88c99270536494172821c78d42d.jpeg

40C5D2B6-8633-4E6D-BAF9-86CBFB850FE0.thumb.jpeg.fd9bb6d433dd3d40650f60949fa7d973.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Mighty fine fish there young feller, and about time.

My nemeses is a humble little Red Morwong yeah I know who would want a Red Morwong , it's just one fish that others have landed while in my boat but I have never caught one. I know where they are but so far they have just stayed away from my hooks.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Fisherlady said:

Wow! I'm excited for you. :1clap:What an amazing experience.

Thanks 🙏 unbelievable feeling! 

13 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

At last! The one species that has eluded you this whole time!

Well done Jeff!

Yewwwwwee

13 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Yeww!!! Well done scratchie. And a cracking snapper Jeff. Awesome job boys.

Cheers mate! Mick got the snapper and it was a beauty too! 

13 hours ago, frankS said:

Mighty fine fish there young feller, and about time.

My nemeses is a humble little Red Morwong yeah I know who would want a Red Morwong , it's just one fish that others have landed while in my boat but I have never caught one. I know where they are but so far they have just stayed away from my hooks.

Frank

Thanks Frank! Yeah it’s funny how it can happen. I’ve never been on a boat that’s caught a cobia. And I’ve been on plenty! Hopefully you can tick your nemesis off one day too! BTW, I’ve caught a red mowie before 😂😂

12 hours ago, Larkin said:

reading your report - felt as if I was there with you. 

Well done scratchie 👍 great fish! 

Thanks mate! Well I’m glad there was another fishraider there with me! 💪

12 hours ago, Welster said:

Congrats Jeff I can imagine how much that capture meant to you.   You will probably catch a heap of them now. 

Cheers mate! Now that I’ve fought one and landed it, I understand the fight. I reckon I’ve lost heaps of them before 😂😂😂

11 hours ago, Aerialangler said:

Well done Jeff!!

Great to see a smile on your dial !

what was the fight like? 

Did it go deep or go towards the top?  

Or bit of both?!! 

Great catch cheers 

kent 

Thanks Kent! It actually did both. First deep, then hit the surface and then after the gaff attempt went deep again! I was worried on the silly gear but all good now! 

9 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Top stuff you have some top fish there love the photos 

Cheers mate! 

12 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

That's awesome Jeff!

Thanks Dave 

8 hours ago, big Neil said:

Congratulations Scratchie on finally getting a Cobia into the boat. Hard to believe that it has eluded you when you have caught so many good fish over the years. What's next on the wish list?

bn

Thanks BN! The next is a 20kg plus king. But not on a snapper stick please 😂😂😂

4 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Good size fish.  Well caught.

Thank you 

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

Excellent Fish there Scratchie, congratulations on such a hard earned fish.

Cheers mate! Hard earned alright! It took 20 plus years! 

7 minutes ago, Yowie said:

good work Jeff, you finally landed a cobia, a nice one at that, however, it needed to be landed with a handline to count.  :074:

Hahahahhaahah thanks Dave! Yeah good luck with that on a handline! I’d still be there fighting now 😂

• Like 2

Congratulations to you and Backcruncher - two magnificent fish, especially after being done by several fish beforehand!

Those cobes go hard and never give up right till the last. I got a good one trolling up around Rockie , it came to the boat fairly quickly when we called it for a shark (common mistake) but we realised our error when we saw the white stripe and then it went deep and slogged it out for ages.

Well done guys

Fil

Congrats Jeff, that is awesome! Bucket list fish for sure.

An obvious question maybe and you’re clearly a much more accomplished fisho than me… but if you’re losing so many fish to pulled hooks and snapped leaders why aren’t you upsizing your gear??

3 hours ago, Restyle said:

Yeeww what a fish and day to remember for sure

Thanks. It sure was! 

2 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Congratulations to you and Backcruncher - two magnificent fish, especially after being done by several fish beforehand!

Those cobes go hard and never give up right till the last. I got a good one trolling up around Rockie , it came to the boat fairly quickly when we called it for a shark (common mistake) but we realised our error when we saw the white stripe and then it went deep and slogged it out for ages.

Well done guys

Fil

Thanks FIL. It was a slog out that’s for sure! 

48 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Congrats. Well done.

Super photos.

Great report.

Cheers Rebel 🤙

18 minutes ago, Ledge said:

Congrats Jeff, that is awesome! Bucket list fish for sure.

An obvious question maybe and you’re clearly a much more accomplished fisho than me… but if you’re losing so many fish to pulled hooks and snapped leaders why aren’t you upsizing your gear??

Thanks mate! 

To answer your question it’s the balance between getting the bite and not! The primary target of the day was snapper. But then once we started getting dusted, we upped the leader size to 30lb. And still got dusted. It’s a sporting game out there 😂

• Like 2

Well done Scratchie. How sweet it must be to get one in the bucket.

It seems to be a big year for Cobia. A report last week of a double hookup up this way last week however one was taxed. The one boated was about 13kg. The wings went on the BBQ the other day.

Keep up the good work. Hoods

3 hours ago, Hoods said:

Well done Scratchie. How sweet it must be to get one in the bucket.

It seems to be a big year for Cobia. A report last week of a double hookup up this way last week however one was taxed. The one boated was about 13kg. The wings went on the BBQ the other day.

Keep up the good work. Hoods

Now I know what they fight like I reckon I lost a couple of bigger models in the last 3 weeks 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

47 minutes ago, Scooter0069 said:

Great fish Scratchie and great photos 

Cheers mate!