Crazy day on Kingies

Pickles

Went out early with @The Rev and buddy Steve (can’t convince him to sign up as a raider) on Friday.  The conditions were perfect. High tide around 6am, low wind and swell and plenty of Yakka’s for bait. After filling the live bait tank, we headed offshore to sound around for king, Samson fish & Amberjack at the 100m reefs and wrecks. We ended up near the Myola wreck & put out livies to collect 3 nice size Sambo’s (Samonfish are in the Seriola family and very similar to kingfish ). We came in closer and had a “rat attack” of little kings (Bruce in the pic with a little one - he also caught a 90cm plus monster, but action was so fast we didn’t have time for many pics.) About an hour later the big boys moved in and at one stage the action was so hectic we had a tripple hook up and Bruce and Steve’s fish were bigger than mine, so I cut mine off to land their stockers. Overall a great day. I won’t say who, but one of us was seriously undergunned with 30lb gear and got smoked continuously until I lent him some 80lb Fluor leader. Smallest went 72cm, biggest was 97cm. 

We all had a “good hookup” and lost our fish on 80lb, so some seriously good arm pullers around at the moment.

The water temp was variable, but the big boys were in 24degrees - out wider, the current was raging about 4 knots and almost impossible to hit the bottom with 16oz of lead and water was cooler, so some thermoclines happening. Typically for this time of year, the bigger fish were later in the day.

Bruce got to break in his new Penn slammer and “Kingie killer” rod and was happy with the performance (how about a report  Bruce).

CDF5DBCF-9F1C-4114-B510-F537D97B7A76.jpeg

7A45ABFD-ECC7-483E-B82B-36D836E56F50.jpeg

81B2119C-C48E-4A71-B971-B9C89CABC4DE.jpeg

56483C80-F2E9-49C8-A3E2-193305568E31.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Pics afdded
  • Like 22

All the Samson fish I have caught were motley coloured when smaller and almost a red tinge when bigger (as distinct from the Kingfish green) are any of those photos Samson fish?

Thanks @Pickles for the trip and the report.  It was a great day that started slow but with perseverance paid off, getting better and better each hour. Finally getting to break in my new "king" rod was the highlight. I can highly recommend the set up: Penn Slammer 4 7500 on a Shimano Terez rod spooled with 65lb braid to 80lb leader.  I think we caught 40-45 yakkas and had none left in the end and left the fish biting.  Mind you - we had zero room left in the esky to put any more fish anyway!! Such a great day. One editorial comment @Pickles, I think the other fish were Amberjacks not Sampson fish 🙂 

Edited by The Rev
  • Like 1