Weipa 2022

LuckyFil

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"Magnificent report and photos of unusual captures"

LuckyFil was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Just back from the annual Weipa trip (less the last 2 years lost to covid!). We also had the cold weather up there, although 28 degrees daytime and 18 at night may not seem cold here but it's unusually cool for Weipa at this time of year.

The colder weather and water seemed to shut down the pelagic action this year with no tuna or Spanish caught . We did manage plenty of queenies with a couple over the meter. The pic of one her is a high nineties caught in a creek on the light flick sticks.

As a consequence we spent a fair few sessions on the reefs catching some tusk fish , grassy sweetlips and other reef dwellers. As usual the really big fish were just too strong even on the strong gear and smashed us on the reefs or broke knots. There's a pic later of son Pat working hard on what we figured was a massive cod or groper, never got to see it as it took 15 minutes to get it halfway up on 80lb gear then it broke off just as we saw the leader knot. Probably just as well 'cause we would have had to cut it off  at some stage anyway. If you want to know why they are called tusk fish see the pic with the blue teeth!

Cheers Fil 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 11

Those are some stunning fish mate. Trip of a lifetime every year!!! Healthy looking fish as well. Are the permit considered a trophy fish on fly? I think I have heard that somewhere.

Well done, some absolute crackers in there

Edited by Isaac Ct
  • Like 1

Still looks like a great time away & some good fish as well. The tusk fish aren’t bad on the chew & don’t the golden trevally go hard as well as the permit I believe, beautiful colours on the diamond trev. 👍😎
Did you stay onboard the house boat 

• Like 1

Yes @Isaac Ct the permit are on saltwater fly fishers trophy list and Al who caught this one got another only 10 minutes later! Both on a soft plastic in less than 2 meters of water.

Yeah @61 crusher we staid on the houseboat for the week and crossed paths with @hookerbrucebriefly who was onboard the other houseboat.

Its a great fishery and even when one species isn't available there's always others to target, you just have to be flexible. And yes tuskies are very tasty!

• Like 2

Many thanks for your posts Fil. Cracking pictures to assist with the posts. A wonderful experience being able to go to places like that once a year, hopefully that will continue to happen in the future. Your post is just what we need to get through the Winter doldrums and poor fishing (in general) down here in NSW. 

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean4golf said:

Great post Fil...

You've got me excited heading up to Weipa for a guided fishing trip for a week May next year....

A guide will definitely short cut the learning process . You’ll have a blast!

20 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Great photos there Fil and I'm bloody jealous ☹️

Also I think your Permit may be a Giant Oystercracker. Trachinotus anak. Still a great capture.

I had a look at a pic of the Oystercracker and I agree, but then I googled the permit and it looks the same 🤔. I must be missing the difference?

Fil

Hi @LuckyFil

I believe Permit/Snubnose Dart Trachinotus blotchii have longer Dorsal and anal fins than Giant Oyster Cracker Trachinotus anak.

Also the fins are different colours.

Snubnose Dart/Permit https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/2993#summary

Giant Oystercracker https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/1664

I hope i'm on the right track as they have a few "Common names"

PS ..... don't start me on Blue Bastards. Another sort after fish targeted by Flyfisherman. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Hi @LuckyFil

I believe Permit/Snubnose Dart Trachinotus blotchii have longer Dorsal and anal fins than Giant Oyster Cracker Trachinotus anak.

Also the fins are different colours.

Snubnose Dart/Permit https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/2993#summary

Giant Oystercracker https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/1664

I hope i'm on the right track as they have a few "Common names"

PS ..... don't start me on Blue Bastards. Another sort after fish targeted by Flyfisherman. 🤔

Wow that’s way more complicated than I expected. Thanks for taking the trouble to explain it.

• Like 1

Given the comments about having Weipa on their bucket list /jealous etc I thought I'd say I'm happy to pass on whatever I know about the place if others are interested . I'm no expert but have been going since 2009 so have picked up some things. I use the houseboats and their tenders as it's the most economical way of doing it with a few provisos: its not guided so you have to figure out where and how to fish it, you need to get a crew together to share costs (and housework), you need to have boat licenses (and some common sense) to manage driving the houseboat and tenders and to stay out of trouble (shallow reefs, sharks, crocs, stingers, sea snakes etc)- you're a long way from help.

So PM if you have any questions.

Cheers

Fil

• Like 4