1.46 Meter Kayak Jewfish - "The One That Got Away?"(A couple more pictures)

kingfish101

The modus operandi for the day was unchanged from that which has served well in previous weeks. Early start from Berowra Waters boat ramp, catch some mullet for live bait on route and then press on into the Hawkesbury River and try to convert the mullet into something bigger.

Got to the river late morning. I'd already missed high water slack, the ebb was running full bore and there were more boat out than usual. Most of the places where I'd had success in the past were already occupied.

Eventually ended up at a rockfall where I had a big hit 2 weeks ago but lost the fish during the fight.

Fished close to the shore and further out for a couple of hours without any action.

The bite came during a drift close to the rocks as the current was beginning to taper off. There was very little preamble, the rod bent double, the heavy set drag made that beautiful screaming noise and the long fight began. I felt like Santiago in Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea. The fish towed the kayak into the current close in, then out wide and all the time I was trying to gain some line and get him off the bottom. It was 30 minutes before I could see the leader and by then the kayak was in safe water 100 meters from the shore and a good 200 meters from where the fight began. By then the runs were short and (both) of us were very tired.

The gaff went home first shot but when I tried to lift the fish into the kayak I nearly went for a swim and didn't have the strength to bring him onboard. Eventually had to paddle one armed ashore with the other arm holding the gaffed fish. Even then it was a tight fit to get the fish into the hatch.

Took the photo's, gutted the catch and got myself organised at the Twin Beaches. Back at the ramp thoroughly exhausted just on dark with 28.5 km travelled on my GPS watch.

The jewfish weighed 27 kg (without the entrails). 

P1010663.JPG

P1010667.JPG

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

16 hours ago, Larkin said:

That’s a huge jewfish 

Are you using large mullet or poddies? 

Hi Larkin,

I was using (very) large rod caught mullet around 30 cm long. Interestingly when I gutted the fish I found another mullet in the stomach even bigger that my bait!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 12:53 PM, kingfish101 said:

Hi Larkin,

I was using (very) large rod caught mullet around 30 cm long. Interestingly when I gutted the fish I found another mullet in the stomach even bigger that my bait!

Hi kingfish,

How’d you rig the mullet?

what hook/s you use / size?

Edited by Larkin