Port Stephens- Great start to the year!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Sorry it’s been a while since I’ve posted and I haven’t been really active of late. A lot of different reasons but it’s a new year with new goals and fishing is high on the agenda! 

Today I headed out with good mate and fishraider @back cruncher
We’ve been out a couple of times to get his first marlin for the boat without success but we’ve been really determined to get one onboard. 
We came close the other day but we lost it not far from the boat. Not deterred, we keep persisting and today was our day! Although, it didn’t start out very promising. 
We loaded up with bait fairly easy and headed off to our mark. Baits in the water in glass conditions and anticipation high. However, after a few hours with no strikes and no action seen, Hope was fading so we decided to move areas for something different. Murphys law applied and I get a call from another fishraider saying they were on and boats were hooking up to the area that we had just left! Damn!!! So we headed back and all went quiet again! Just our luck. This time though we committed to the area and kept working hard to find our target. Hours went by and we made the call to pull up lines about 1pm. 
At 12:55 we see a few marks on the screen and put the boat in neutral. Wind was now up and made for a difficult drift. The line went under the boat and we put the boat in gear, freed the line and bang….. we come up tight! Finally…… we are on!!!! I got my young son Brandon onto the rod and he did a great job and we soon had our first marlin onboard! Yewwwww 

We go back to the same mark and I pretty much hand fed one that took a run and didn’t stick. 

Back to the mark again and we see the fish on the sounder and drop back a bait and come up tight. Much bigger fish this one and after a short tussle it snaps the leader. 
Drive back to the mark, drop the bait and our other mate is on with some really light spin gear. Great fight and some great driving by Mick sees us boat a second fish! 
Absolute action packed hour that seen us go    5-3-2 for the day. We were stubborn, committed and more importantly patient to achieve our goal. And that my friends is what new years are all about! “Setting and achieving your goals”

Good luck to everyone in 2023 

Tight lines, 

cheers scratchie!!! 

382D576A-DBF0-4B5F-AD9A-F8794F70AD5A.thumb.jpeg.202eed73c0df7d4eb68a362666449b0e.jpeg

892081C8-1261-4C8A-AF21-73E644172453.thumb.jpeg.2f6865ece7947c4b94ab66cd570ae1eb.jpeg

42D05535-04FA-42B2-9E1C-BFE0304AEBA7.thumb.jpeg.a88caa30b66d02b1a8886f70535df5fe.jpeg

5CB50CF5-0B14-4392-8211-E7141B7DCDC7.thumb.jpeg.e61db26ca1adda8e79828267a9907586.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Well done Scratchie & Crew. Those numbers prove persistence pays. Find the Fish - Catch the Fish. How is the car park fishing?

And just to add keep some wire on hand as i have seen a photo of a very nice Wahoo boated up our way. Thanks for the report

Hoods

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great job Scratchie, nice persistence.

Hopefully more will come.

Well done

Cheers mate! Yes I’m stubborn. Prefer to chase snapper though 😂

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice work Jeff!

Glad you got the chance to get out. What a reward for your persistence!

Thanks Mike. Making the most of those opportunities is what it’s all about! 

1 hour ago, Hoods said:

Well done Scratchie & Crew. Those numbers prove persistence pays. Find the Fish - Catch the Fish. How is the car park fishing?

And just to add keep some wire on hand as i have seen a photo of a very nice Wahoo boated up our way. Thanks for the report

Hoods

Cheers Hoods. 
The car park is 42kms but we were fishing inshore. 
Im interested in the wahoo? Send me a pm if you don’t mind with a bit of info! 🤔

50 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Mate, gotta be happy with that 👍 well done

You using slimies? 

Very happy indeed thanks! 
Yes mate, bridled slimies with no weight. Slow trolled at 2 knots. 

40 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Great work Jeff, keep it - more out there.😊

Cheers Bob! Stacks of them around atm 

• Like 1

Welcome back Jeff 👏

Great report on the marlin situation up there. We have great memories of catching  marlin onboard Broadbill with Ross Hunter.  It’s exciting for everyone on the boat. 

Brandon must be on a high after landing his first marlin. 

Great to see you out fishing @back cruncher 🎣🐟

Well done all 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Welcome back Jeff 👏

Great report on the marlin situation up there. We have great memories of catching  marlin onboard Broadbill with Ross Hunter.  It’s exciting for everyone on the boat. 

Brandon must be on a high after landing his first marlin. 

Great to see you out fishing @back cruncher 🎣🐟

Well done all 

Thanks Donna. 
We worked really hard to get these fish. Brandon was over the moon. Such a beautiful place to admire up here even when the fishing is slow. 

• Like 1

Great to hear from you, Jeff… you’ve been almost as quiet as me of late! 😂 Hope all is well. Great report! I put the muffs on the motor the other day and she fired up first time. Now I have to dust the cobwebs out of the boat. 😂 I just checked my inflateable life jackets and realised it’s 2 years since I tested them so I’ll have to do that too! 🤷‍♂️ I think this season might be my best chance to christen my boat with a marlin. Have you heard of any dollies at the FAD?

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 11:02 AM, Rebel said:

Welcome back.

Top fish.

Congrats to you & your crew.

Well done.

Cheers Rebel 👍

On 1/18/2023 at 1:23 PM, back cruncher said:

Hi all….Awsome day out Jeff.can’t wait to do it again.

Cracking day mate! We put the time in and got our rewards. Nice first marlin for the boat 🙌

On 1/18/2023 at 7:20 PM, Aerialangler said:

Well done men 

All the patience paid off 

looking like a good marlin season 

Thanks Kent. Never seen so many inshore marlin before! Great fun 

On 1/18/2023 at 7:26 PM, Berleyguts said:

Great to hear from you, Jeff… you’ve been almost as quiet as me of late! 😂 Hope all is well. Great report! I put the muffs on the motor the other day and she fired up first time. Now I have to dust the cobwebs out of the boat. 😂 I just checked my inflateable life jackets and realised it’s 2 years since I tested them so I’ll have to do that too! 🤷‍♂️ I think this season might be my best chance to christen my boat with a marlin. Have you heard of any dollies at the FAD?

Cheers Baz! Yes mate, new year and new goals. Motto for the year..,.. 

“If I’m not working, I’m fishing 🎣 “ 

Dollies are only small at the fad. Wait until the tourists go home 👍

On 1/18/2023 at 8:32 PM, bessell1955 said:

Persistence pays and you have demonstrated that in trumps.

Yeah mate, we have been very stubborn to tick that box 👍

On 1/19/2023 at 8:44 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice fishing jeff  keep em comin

Thanks Rick 

23 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great story told Scratchie! Your plan and persistence paid off big time! Awsome pics too!! Congrats on a great achievement 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Cheers mate! Also need a bit of luck thrown in too! 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 8:05 PM, Yowie said:

Great work there Scratchie. Certainly nice fish, a shame the others dropped off.

Not heard from you for a while, wondered what had happened to you. Not thinking anything bad at all. 🤣

Cheers Yowie!  Yeah mate all good here. Just busy as hell. Keen to do some fishing this year though! Hope all is well with you 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Cheers Yowie!  Yeah mate all good here. Just busy as hell. Keen to do some fishing this year though! Hope all is well with you 👍

All good down this way, hopefully the boating traffic will ease a little seeing that school holidays are winding up.

• Like 1