Jack Mission.

James  Clain

Ever since I saw @dirvin21 (Dave) get a Mangrove Jack with me back in October 2020 and also watching him loose one in the same session I have had my heart set on getting a Jack myself, especially one in NSW. 

Since I am heading back to Uni as of today I wanted to spend my last week and a half off up at Nambucca Heads, targeting jacks every day until I got one. 

This turned out to be no easy feat:

- first session in Macksville 0

- second session on the Nambucca breakwall lost 3 (badly smoked even on 130lb)

- 3rd session on the boat with Dave and @Pickles (lost 1)

- 4th session on the breakwall again lost 3

This kept occurring, I lost 14 in total. You may ask why I lost so many and we're also so sure what they were without seeing them. I urge you to go Jack Fishing and find out for yourself then get back to me. 

- 3rd last night probably 10th session and lost 6. 

Then Finally on my second last night (after loading up on live herring):

image.thumb.jpeg.3cc2822c782a51551ed47f9b2ee348b8.jpeg

On the run in tide just before sunset I finally managed to 'get one up' and land it, only barely hooked. 

These fish hit so hard and fast that even at this size 46cm they put up an amazing fight which is putting them at number 1 on my list now for best fighting fish, definitely not for stamina though.

If you would like to see more, please check out this video, tight lines -  

• Like 20

Hi James. I can substantiate what you say about hooking them and not being able to land them. I have lost 4 when I fished up the Nambucca River area with Dave and also on my own. As you say, you don't have to see them to know that's what busts you off. I was only using 12lb line, but figured that I would have been able to land one with the drag set appropriately. NOT THE CASE.

I am hopeful of being able to get back up there in a few months...if not, late in 2023.

bn

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

I guess you finally just earned one😉

Great fish mate, looking forward to your next visit so we can spend another session chasing satan 

I’ll bring my Bible and exorcise the evil spirits in those Jacks as they certainly have “demonised” James.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Fried Rice said:

Great fish mate. Did you get your revenge on the species and eat it?

Thank you,

No haha too much respect for the species. Maybe in Queensland I would eat one but in NSW or at-lest more than a couple hours south of the border I don't think i could do that. 

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi James. I can substantiate what you say about hooking them and not being able to land them. I have lost 4 when I fished up the Nambucca River area with Dave and also on my own. As you say, you don't have to see them to know that's what busts you off. I was only using 12lb line, but figured that I would have been able to land one with the drag set appropriately. NOT THE CASE.

I am hopeful of being able to get back up there in a few months...if not, late in 2023.

bn

Very true BN, they just hit too hard. I through the same even with 30lb under the bridge there but I was wrong about that very quickly. 

All the best for your shot at them soon, probably on slightly stronger line 😂

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, James Clain said:

Very True, uni holidays are the go haha

Enjoy your Uni holidays James, life gets a bit more serious as you start working and settle down. Always make time for fishing though, essential for your well - being.

bn

• Like 2