Allow Me To Introduce Myself

mrsswordfisherman

Hi guys,

Name's Kevin, 36 years old, Sydney sider.

After a break of over a decade I started fishing again earlier this year and it's now an obsession. Probably why

I didn't want to get back into it sooner haha.

I spend most of my time at night on the beaches fishing for Jewies and occasionally get out on a boat.

Before my abstinence from fishing I mainly caught Bream, whiting, tailor, flatties and the smaller fish.

Earlier this year on my return to fishing I started catching Bonito, Salmon, Gummy shark, Kingies, squid and Jewies all firsts for me!

I was very pleased with my progress this year, after spending all the time reading, buying gear and time on the water

it's a great feeling when it pays off!

Next....tuna off the rocks!!!!

Edited by yawningp

Hi all

My name is Huy and I'm 35. I work as a web developer in Artamon and live there too.

I'm a Laos born vietnamese, grew up in New Caledonia where I lived for 16 years. Then spent 10 years in France, 6 in the UK and just over a year in Oz.

I used to fish jetties when being a teen but stopped since France and rediscovered it in Australia recently. Got hooked to surf fishing and trying to go as much as I can either at night or early morning before work.

I have improved a lot but still a newbie.

My next targetted species: luderick and kingfish

Huy

Hi everyone,

My name is Dave and i just found out about this fantastic site.

I live out Liverpool way and love my fishing. I'm 47 and have been fishing since I was 5.

I love fishing off the rocks and off my Quintrex 560. :fish_h4h::1fishing1:

Unfortunately, with so much happening in my life lately, I haven't had much time to wet the line in the last 12-18 months.

I joined here in order to get out there again. I love fishing for pelagics, especially the big Kings. I'm yet to land a hoodlum with a 75cm specimen being my best thus far.

I'm hoping to share my experiences with all of you and learn as much as possible from the really experienced on here.

I would like to wish everyone the very best and tight lines to all.

Cheers :thumbup::thumbup::fisher:

Hi All

My name is Jim, I live in the Uk, coming back to Pitwater for the first time in 7yrs, unfortunately only for 2 1/2 weeks, really looking forward to getting some fishing in around Pitwater over that time. Maybe bump into some of you on the water then

Jim :sun:

Oh I'll be the the bright red one waving a fly rod!

Edited by jimmul

Hi Gang,

My Names Neil, new to the forum in the last week. Have been looking for tips n tricks for the rocks and beach around Coogee, Lurline bay,Maroubra etc. (anywhere in the eastern suburbs really).

It would be great if anyone's out fishing around here to send me a message as I'd love to come along to gain tips and have a fish.

Regards to targeting fish I'm happy to catch anything but those pesky Eels!

I'm the guy waving the ugly stick around usually snagged on something other than a big fish.

Neil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there peoples, signed up today and thought I should introduce myself. My name's Pete and I live on the far south coast of NSW, not too far from the town of Narooma. I'm a keen land-based fisho who spends his time chasing fish from the beach, rocks and rivers around the place. I try to chuck a line in most days, always have my fishing gear with me so I can cast a line whenever the opportunity arises. Until recently I was pretty much a bait-only fisherman, but in recent times I've made the switch to tossing soft plastics, blades and small hard-bodies in various styles. So far I've been pretty satisfied with my results and each time I venture out I seem to do a little better. Plenty of flathead, but getting a few other species as well, trevally, tailor and bream. Should have made the change yonks ago, I reckon I'm already doing as well as I would with bait and think softies in particular will actually be more effective. I love the style of fishing because it's active hunting and not just drowning worms.

My current light set-up is quite a modest affair, I've got a little Rovex 2500 on a 6'6" Juro Flex-X. It's not too bad but is still a bit heavy (3kg-5kg) for my needs, so I've bitten the bullet and got my local tackle shop to put aside a nice little combo I've chosen as a Christmas present to myself. A Shimano Stradic Ci4+ matched with a Browning (Lox) 7' ultra-light plastics rod. Together they look sweet and feel nicely balanced, I can't wait to give it a go.

Well that's about it for now, I'll head off and read some posts 'coz I'm sure I'll pick up a few good tips.

Cheers

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

My name is James. I'm 24, a mechanic in the Hornsby area and just recently got into fishing a bit more seriously. I used to wet a line on my parents boat when I was younger, but my time has mainly been invested in modified cars (rotaries in particular)

Since having my daughter I have decided to slow down on the cars and that's how fishing came along and now I'm hooked. Even to the point I'm selling my beloved Mazda Rx7 to purchase a 4x4 to fit all my fishing gear!

I fish mainly land based around Cowan creek for squid (love my squidding for some reason!) and other bait, then land based around palm beach, Clifton gardens or central coast. When time permits I manage to get out to pittwater/hawkesbury in a 5.5m savage mako with a 135 mercury on the back.

Have learnt many things already from lurking around this site and will hopefully be contributing more soon with fishing reports! Goal of 2014 is a real hoodlum of a kingy!

James.

G'day all,

My name is Will and I am recently into fishing - all of 4 days :risata: . I have a few mates that fish morning and night most days and I went along to the spit a couple of days ago - caught myself a half dozen bream no bigger than 3 inches but I was stoked. Been fishing since then just at roseville on the non-national park side and the national park as well - caught a few bream and a sand whiting and that is all, only land fishing at the moment. Went to BCF today and bought myself some soft plastics and a lure (not sure why but I'll put it in the tackle box for one day. More of an incentive to one day use it to catch a bigger fish?). Anyway, got abit of free time with my girlfriend (who recently went game fishing in Grafton) so we are keen to get into fishing. If anyone is looking for a fishing partner or two send us a PM :fishing1:

Hi All, Soulman here... Love this site, happy to be a new member. Love fishing, always keen to learn, cant wait for my next fish ;-)

Recently new to using SP and had a bit of luck with some legal flatty about 38-40cm around Calabash Bay, Hawkesbury... Im hooked ;-)

Hi folks, my name is Rob, I'm from Alberta, Canada and have been fishing all of my life and love it! I'm on my way to the Newcastle area in February for my 2nd trip to your beautiful country. My oldest boy lives there now with his wife and our grandson. I can hardly wait to get there for many reasons. Anyway, about fishing, last time I fished everyday along the Entrance beach and had quite a lot of success using worms. This year I'm going to bring some of my lures from Canada and give them a shot! What I really want to do is take my 3 boys out and try and catch some type of shark! Is it possible to catch shark in February? Also, can anyone help me finding a boat and captain to hire to take us out for the day?

G'day,

That was an interesting saying you have about QLD and VIC but the way I see it is the only good thing that comes from those states is the road to NSW. I just love interstate rivalry :)

Welcome to the site and you will find all the information you need to know about fishing NSW.

Use the search function on this site and type in what your looking for and bingo, a wealth of information. Good luck and look forward to reading your posts!

Cheers scratchie!!! Mod team

We used to say that the only good thing about NSW was that it separates QLD from VIC, but I'm hoping the fishing down here is good enough to prove otherwise.

Cheeky mate, agree with Scratchie about leading to NSW. Goodluck with your fishing, im only new to it and am enjoying the light gear fishing. Hopefully you'll have something to eat soon :fishing1:

Gday Guys - My names Daniel and Im from Port Stephens and am very new to fishing

I got "hooked" when a neighbour took me out near Broughton Island a month ago, and we had a great day fishing in his boat. I also saw a massive shark breach the water right infront of me and steal a fish we were reeling in (I thought it was a great white, but my neighbour said probably more likely a tiger)

The shark also bumped the boat a couple times which was unnerving hahahhaha and came back for 2nds on another fish we reeled in (lost everything both times)

Im into 4wding as well, and love hitting Stockton beach in my Pajero when I can afford it, but most of my fishing is done across the road from my house in Tanilba Bay (whiting, bream, the odd flathead, and at night time the odd big shortfin eel)

My neighbour has helped me out setting me up with some of his old gear - Im learning to baitcast as well but not so good at that yet (good enough not to birdsnest anymore though I guess - after a solid 5 hours practising but my cast distance sucks)

Im slowly getting a kit together (aint ebay great lol) but I have some stuff already to keep me busy I guess

My gear sofar

My new "old bag trolley" to walk down the local waterfront without tearing my shoulder apart

th_20140118_115221_zpsf1f95e2d.jpg

My esky setup with home made burley /bait trap (I got a proper bait trap on order)

th_20140117_120844_TanilbaAve_zps71d299f

My Tacklebox sofar - Slowly getting more

th_20140116_235627_TanilbaAve_zpsdca6522

My rods sofar - one needs a new tip (the shimano ET classic)

th_20140116_230630_TanilbaAve_zpsc0e0121

My reels sofar

th_20140115_232312_TanilbaAve_zps28f261a

Mates boat we went out in - Im hoping for future trips and it sounds promising :)

th_20140101_051933_FenninghamsIslandRd_z th_20140101_111115_zps4e70aa2b.jpg

The last fish I "caught" the bait was bigger than him!!

th_20140117_092816_AdmiraltyAve_zps823f5

And my rig out stockton beach

th_DanielandhisPajerovssteepdunemp4_snap th_20130908_135109_zps0a0d45a1.jpg

My biggest fish sofar was a 38cm bream on stockton, a mid 40s flathead locally, and a 80cm eel locally lol

I hope to pick up some great tips and tricks. Im trying to get into lure fishing for local areas near my house using a abu garcia ultra light rod (2kg i think) on 1 or 2 pound fireline braid (i think, was prespooled and looks like cotton thread) No luck sofar on that rod although my line has snapped for no apparent reason a couple times now ?? (my knots held ok)

Cheers guys and I look forward to learning alot from this website :)

Edited by Prawns

Welcome to the forum Prawns! Sounds like you are really getting up and going! I have a '03 Prado GXL with some all terrains on it, love to hit up a bit of 4WD'ing. Havn't done sand driving yet tho! Got myself some ARB roof racks - perfect for quickly putting the rods on the roof. Love your truck :greatpics:

Thanks mate :)

The trucks a cheapy and has lots of home made mods which are quite dodgy hahahhaha - but it gets me out camping and onto Stockton beach so it "does the job" I guess and it was cheap :)

Gimme a yell when your up this way next time and I can take you out to Stockton for your first sand drive :)

Be warned though - every time I go my fishing is usually interruped with bogged people wanting help when they drive off embankments and into trees and things :D

(Some Stockton fishing / recovery photos here if your curious http://s797.photobucket.com/user/prawns100/library/Stockton%20Beach%20Fishing%20Trip%20Gone%20Wrong?sort=3&page=1 )