Allow Me To Introduce Myself

mrsswordfisherman

How rude of me! Replying to someone else, and not introducing myself, attending the SP social.....

My name is Andrew I live in East Ryde and have no imagination. So I called myself Ryder.

47yo, fished the harbour from a tinny chasing flathead, salmon,tailor, whatever for years.

I also chase Jewie on the beaches when I have the time; now I'm cutting my teeth on plastics.

I started fishing with my granddad, a retired cop in Forster; veggie patch out the back, boat out the front.

Run my own landscape maintenance company; any questions please ask.

I like a laugh, and love to fish.

I know I came to the right place.

Ryder, you are officially welcome to fishraider.

Your posts so far have been positive and informative. We look forward to reading many more of your adventures and seeing the progression you make on SP's.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Time to contribute to this thread I think, seeing how useful and helpful this site has been for my recent resurgent fishing activity.

My name is Adrian, currently living in the north west of Sydney and just turned 34. I have been fishing on and off since I was knee high, with one of my earliest memories being throwing handlines off a wharf at Eden when I was about 4. I grew up in Pimlico in northern NSW right on the Richmond river, and so many time during my childhood my mate and I would chase bream and flathead on our own, or when his time permitted, out with Dad doing the odd go at tailor from the surf. Dad also being a fisherman with his grandfather from the moment he could hold a rod.

For a long time since leaving home I just have not had the time or gear to do any fishing, mostly borrowing some of my Dad's kit on holidays or heading out every now and then with my kids so they could go fishing with 'Poppy'. Earlier this year I got fed up with being teased by fishing shows and decided to get my own gear and start having a go in earnest. I loved it when I could have a crack but generally did poorly, so I wanted to try and learn more and get into it properly. Having grown up on just bream, flatties and the odd tailor I also wanted to have a go at the other species on offer down here in Sydney.

To my wifes chagrin I now have a small arsenal of lures, gear and I am constantly begging for permission to get out and have a go. I am now dead set on the idea of cracking my first jewfish and kingfish and looking forward to the first fish I actually have to fight to land :)

Loving this site and the wealth of knowledge, helpful advice and sense of community it has.

Time to contribute to this thread I think, seeing how useful and helpful this site has been for my recent resurgent fishing activity.

My name is Adrian, currently living in the north west of Sydney and just turned 34. I have been fishing on and off since I was knee high, with one of my earliest memories being throwing handlines off a wharf at Eden when I was about 4. I grew up in Pimlico in northern NSW right on the Richmond river, and so many time during my childhood my mate and I would chase bream and flathead on our own, or when his time permitted, out with Dad doing the odd go at tailor from the surf. Dad also being a fisherman with his grandfather from the moment he could hold a rod.

For a long time since leaving home I just have not had the time or gear to do any fishing, mostly borrowing some of my Dad's kit on holidays or heading out every now and then with my kids so they could go fishing with 'Poppy'. Earlier this year I got fed up with being teased by fishing shows and decided to get my own gear and start having a go in earnest. I loved it when I could have a crack but generally did poorly, so I wanted to try and learn more and get into it properly. Having grown up on just bream, flatties and the odd tailor I also wanted to have a go at the other species on offer down here in Sydney.

To my wifes chagrin I now have a small arsenal of lures, gear and I am constantly begging for permission to get out and have a go. I am now dead set on the idea of cracking my first jewfish and kingfish and looking forward to the first fish I actually have to fight to land :)

Loving this site and the wealth of knowledge, helpful advice and sense of community it has.

Welcome to the FR family and thanks for the kind words :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

After trawling these forums for the past few months and soaking up as information as possible (and feeding the obsession!) I think it's time for me to introduce myself! I'm Joel, 26 years old, lucky enough to live really close to some beautiful places to fish around middle head etc.

I was travelling for a few years and since returning 18 months ago, I got out the old fishing rods I was given for my birthday 15/20 years ago. There is something about fishing that is good for the soul; the busier and more stressed I am, the more I need to get out on the water to go fishing and escape the world. I work every day so pretty much the only time I can spare is early before work, which suits me well because everything is so beautiful at sunrise, and it is incredible the amount you can achieve before going to work! Anyway, I immersed myself in youtube videos, articles, and this forum, reading and watching every day, starting my purchases with a rod and reel and progressively buying more and more stuff I probably won't need! Next on the list is the fishing kayak but there is literally no where (affordable) for me to store it. I'm sure I will find a way!

Starting with bream, pinkies, flathead etc, I was beginning to catch fish consistently and after becoming slightly obsessed with luderick off the rocks, I am about to write my first fishing report! I can't wait for spring and summer and I've been practicing catching live bait in anticipation for the fish in the warmer months.

Anyway, thank you all for the wealth of knowledge, photos, interesting reports and advice you all provide!

Hey all,

After trawling these forums for the past few months and soaking up as information as possible (and feeding the obsession!) I think it's time for me to introduce myself! I'm Joel, 26 years old, lucky enough to live really close to some beautiful places to fish around middle head etc.

I was travelling for a few years and since returning 18 months ago, I got out the old fishing rods I was given for my birthday 15/20 years ago. There is something about fishing that is good for the soul; the busier and more stressed I am, the more I need to get out on the water to go fishing and escape the world. I work every day so pretty much the only time I can spare is early before work, which suits me well because everything is so beautiful at sunrise, and it is incredible the amount you can achieve before going to work! Anyway, I immersed myself in youtube videos, articles, and this forum, reading and watching every day, starting my purchases with a rod and reel and progressively buying more and more stuff I probably won't need! Next on the list is the fishing kayak but there is literally no where (affordable) for me to store it. I'm sure I will find a way!

Starting with bream, pinkies, flathead etc, I was beginning to catch fish consistently and after becoming slightly obsessed with luderick off the rocks, I am about to write my first fishing report! I can't wait for spring and summer and I've been practicing catching live bait in anticipation for the fish in the warmer months.

Anyway, thank you all for the wealth of knowledge, photos, interesting reports and advice you all provide!

Welcome to fishraider Joel. I'm glad you stepped out of the shadows and introduced yourself. You sound like many of the raiders on this forum and take every opportunity to spend some time on or around the water, wetting a line.

We look forward to reading your posts.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi guys. Keen fisherman from Wollongong NSW who loves to fish salt and fresh. Grew up fishing off the rocks in South Australia. Don't get enough time to fish with work and young family. Looking learning and sharing experiences on this forum. Really interested in learning more about freshwater spots in the illawarra and surrounding areas - particularly with good foot access/bank access.

Species caught in NSW have only been bream, flathead and whiting. Hoping to get my first bass one day soon and keen to venture to blue mountains or highlands to catch more freshwater species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate for good bass in the mountains you can't go past the nepean river. There are some great fish in there. I have a friend who consistently pulls out mid 50's cm fish. If you are using bait you can't go past live yabbies, that is what he uses and gets huge bass. If using lures use small fat divers, Sammy 65, cicada buzzers and pencils. I have had results on all of those.

Luc.

Edited by Trout Stalker

Hey fellas, have been reading for a while thought it was to sign up.

Grew up fishing off the rocks for Bream and drummer in Merimbula being taught by the old man ( self proclaimed greatest red crab wrestler ever ). I dont think i even knew a drag existed on a reel until i was over 18, still remember my introduction to fishing. "right son you hit the bastard as hard as you can and wind as fast you bloody can until its landed ". Up until the age of 12 the old man would hold onto my shirt as a big blue groper attempted to pull my pre-pubescent spindly frame down the rocks.

Have been living in Wollongong for uni and recently got back into the sport. a friend and i just fitted out our first boat 17ft bass/beam boat with a150hp merc on the back.

Focusing most of my efforts on the basin with ultralight gear and have been reading all the great fisho reports on the site to fuel my fishing hunger.

cheers

Hey fellas, have been reading for a while thought it was to sign up.

Grew up fishing off the rocks for Bream and drummer in Merimbula being taught by the old man ( self proclaimed greatest red crab wrestler ever ). I dont think i even knew a drag existed on a reel until i was over 18, still remember my introduction to fishing. "right son you hit the bastard as hard as you can and wind as fast you bloody can until its landed ". Up until the age of 12 the old man would hold onto my shirt as a big blue groper attempted to pull my pre-pubescent spindly frame down the rocks.

Have been living in Wollongong for uni and recently got back into the sport. a friend and i just fitted out our first boat 17ft bass/beam boat with a150hp merc on the back.

Focusing most of my efforts on the basin with ultralight gear and have been reading all the great fisho reports on the site to fuel my fishing hunger.

cheers

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider laddercat - Glad to see you made the move from reader to participant, hope you enjoy your time on this site mate.

Cheers Blood Knot

G'Day Laddercat, it is a good place here with friendly folk. Probably the best forum on the whole interwebs I reckon otherwise I wouldn't spend so much time going through it all and learning as much as I can. I am here in Merimbula and probably know all of those spots you mentioned fishing with the "old man" for example Tura head and short point rocks. There is good reason I think of his reckoning as I'm sure you know as each place has its serious difficulties to avoid and a good hard reef is what is needed with those drummer I think in both of those spots.

Welcome aboard. :)

Luc.

Cheers trout stalker.

Yeah last i heard he now fishes middle beach between short and long point almost exclusively.

12 ft wilson

10 pound mono ( even though he is skull dragging them off reef with surging wash )

Still cant convince him to use braid or leaders or a graphite rod haha. Pulls gigantuan bream out of there pretty reguarly 4 pounders not being uncommon.

Also reckons on a few of these really big tides he has been hooked up on some jewies but of course lost them on the light gear. Would be interesting to see if there are any jewies sitting off middle beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya everyone,I am the new pommie on the block and my fishing nickname is snatcher :sun: I live in Whitley Bay in the UK but we spend quite a lot of the year in our static caravan on the Mull of Galloway,Scotland. Fishing and photography are my main hobbies.

Our daughter lives in Frenchs Forest and we have had 4 trips to your great country to visit her and our grandsons there. On my trips I have managed to catch 43 of your species so far and looking forward to adding to the list on our next trip over.

Looking forward to being an active contributer on the forum. :D

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

New to this site, and new to fishing, just wanting to introduce myself.

I have always had a fascination with fishing - just could never do it! Now I find myself living on the Hawkesbury and think it's about time to learn the art. So I'm pouring through this website, and will probably be asking a whole heap of newbie questions to gather as much info and tips as possible (hence, seasponge!)

My outfit is 1-3kg and 2-4kg rods with 2500 reels, targeting bream and flathead on lures/SP's and bait from the Hawkesbury. Am landbased at the moment, but am keeping an eye out for a boat.

Please bear with me as I intend to be asking quite a lot of questions :-)

Cheers,

Nick

Hi all,

I'm a 27 year old angler who enjoys the thrill of the sport especially on lite gear where as hooking a large specimen is the easy part, fighting however is the most challenging. Naturally all fish caught are released regardless of size and species as I would love to fight them another day.

I am a highly mobile angler and I tend to visit multiple spots over the course of a day from Pittwater to Port Kembla as well as fresh water areas (Lake Lyell, Nepean etc), constantly marking my map for deep holes and productive spots.

Lures: blades, plastics, poppers and metal jigs (beach)

Bait: Weed/Cabbage (Luderick) and Bread (Teasing carp)

I have a lot to learn and I look forward to contributing to this community.

Have a good day! :)

Chapfish

• 4 weeks later...

Somehow I missed this topic but here goes.

Wife set up this acct for us Shes Ven and I'm Joe Dee (2nd part of the name).

Am based in the Ryde area and love fishing for a good feed as nothing better than fresh fish.

Mostly I come online to check out what people are up to as I'm new to fishing in Aus. Used to fish loads in the U.a.e with my uncle but now here am mostly land based. I keep driving up and down NSW searching for spots to fish including going as far as Bermagui. Used to frequent Narrabeen after spotting what looked like a decent king fish from ocean st bridge however only caught leather jackets there. Almost every weekend I head out to try new locations usually starting out at 4 in the morn.

Right now I carry arnd a light rod, a medium and a beach

Will be posting in fishing reports once I catch something decent as compared to the sweep, LJs and small drummers that I've caught so far

Edited by Vendee

Somehow I missed this topic but here goes.

Wife set up this acct for us Shes Ven and I'm Joe Dee (2nd part of the name).

Am based in the Ryde area and love fishing for a good feed as nothing better than fresh fish.

Mostly I come online to check out what people are up to as I'm new to fishing in Aus. Used to fish loads in the U.a.e with my uncle but now here am mostly land based. I keep driving up and down NSW searching for spots to fish including going as far as Bermagui. Used to frequent Narrabeen after spotting what looked like a decent king fish from ocean st bridge however only caught leather jackets there. Almost every weekend I head out to try new locations usually starting out at 4 in the morn.

Right now I carry arnd a light rod, a medium and a beach

Will be posting in fishing reports once I catch something decent as compared to the sweep, LJs and small drummers that I've caught so far

Hi and welcome to both of you. We love to see couples on fishraider and hope you can join in some of our fishing socials in the future

Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller ;)

Just recently moved up to the Central Coast with my young family from north west Sydney. That in itself should allow me to get much more fishing done...... :D

90% of my fishing would be done in Brisbane Waters with some mates (why go somewhere else when you've got a couple of special spots, right??), and the other 10% would be in Tuggerah Lakes with with my young bloke.

Would love to try and get to some other locations....... But maybe one day I could be bothered!! ;)

Know pretty much bugger all about different types of gear and stuff like that, but I know what works in the places I fish so just roll with that. But do believe that burley is your friend.... :)

Anyways, look forward to being part of the 'community' here and hope to participate in any way I can.....

Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller ;)

Just recently moved up to the Central Coast with my young family from north west Sydney. That in itself should allow me to get much more fishing done...... :D

90% of my fishing would be done in Brisbane Waters with some mates (why go somewhere else when you've got a couple of special spots, right??), and the other 10% would be in Tuggerah Lakes with with my young bloke.

Would love to try and get to some other locations....... But maybe one day I could be bothered!! ;)

Know pretty much bugger all about different types of gear and stuff like that, but I know what works in the places I fish so just roll with that. But do believe that burley is your friend.... :)

Anyways, look forward to being part of the 'community' here and hope to participate in any way I can.....

Welcome golf fish and good to see you step out of the shadows and join the fishraider community!

Look forward to your posts.

Cheers scratchie!!!

• 1 month later...

G'day Raiders

My name is Mark - long time lurker of this great forum, thought it was time to jump out from behind the keyboard and show myself, haven't fished much in the last 30 years but prior to that I was a fishaholic getting out 8 days a week when possible but then life got in the way and 30 odd years later I've come full circle and back as keen as ever, have recently moved from south West Sydney to Nowra and have bought my first boat and made a start on the fishing gear collection again and have been fishing the Shoalhaven River while I get my sea legs and build my boating knowledge/ confidence and always looking for a fishing buddy so I may put up a post in the desperate and boatless section. Anyway enough blubbering from me, hope to catch up with as many Raiders as possible.

Cheers Mark (Horizon440)

Edited by Horizon440