Allow Me To Introduce Myself

mrsswordfisherman

42 minutes ago, Wes said:

Hi fellow fish raiders and raiderettes, 

I'm completely new to fishing and have always wanted to try get into it, now with this COVID restriction its time I finally do. I'm based in Wolloughby and went to wet the line at Linley Point on the weekend without success. 

Any advice to try get up to speed on shore fishing, I've been trolling the forums and been reading and watching videos online. 

Thanks in advance for all the knowledge and help.

Wes

Hi Wes,

Welcome to the site.

It can be a bit tough going in winter. Linley point is a nice place to wet a line. I haven't done amazingly - just some flatties on the flats under the bridge (wading out - safety first - watch the tides and maybe it's an option to keep for summer when getting wetter than expected isn't such a bad thing!) and some small bream/flathead on plastics. If you live close, however, you probably could work out the best times and techniques for the area. The water certainly looks fishy!

Just to give you an idea, a Berkeley 2 or 3 inch bass minnow or a Z man 2 inch grub on 1/8th jighead could work as a lure in that area. Expect a few snags along the wall - comes with the territory. In time you will get a feel for avoiding snags and also can experiment with weedless plastics etc.

Treat your trips like lure casting/working sessions where hits/fish are a bonus. With these restrictions, you're lucky to be in striking distance of fishable water - just enjoy being in a peaceful and scenic spot 😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wes said:

Hi fellow fish raiders and raiderettes, 

Thanks in advance for all the knowledge and help.

Wes

Hi Wes,

Firstly, welcome to Fishraider.

We are almost neighbours as I am a suburb or two along from you. When things settle down a bit I'm happy to meet up with you and see if we can accelerate your learning curve. The proviso I do put in to all the people I mentor is that I'm not to be held responsible for any gear you decide to buy after fishing with me. 😃

As you are new to fishing it is a bit hard to open with "what are you specifically interested in" but if you have some ideas then we can work along from there.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi Wes,

Firstly, welcome to Fishraider.

We are almost neighbours as I am a suburb or two along from you. When things settle down a bit I'm happy to meet up with you and see if we can accelerate your learning curve. The proviso I do put in to all the people I mentor is that I'm not to be held responsible for any gear you decide to buy after fishing with me. 😃

As you are new to fishing it is a bit hard to open with "what are you specifically interested in" but if you have some ideas then we can work along from there.

Regards,

Derek

Thanks for the offer Derek, would really appreciate the mentorship and the help. I look forward to meeting you once restrictions ease but seems like we'll be clamped down for a while at the current rate Sydney is tracking. 

As for what I'm interested in, well at this stage anything that gets on the other side of the line! 😅 

I did scout out Clive Park and Northbridge Sailing club yesterday whilst walking the dog and saw a couple of anglers, a guy going squidding with the jig looked pretty fun. From reading up, this area seems to have some bream, flatheads and snapper. I guess I would start of trying to target those and make Fig Tree Cove, Sugarloaf Bay and Sailors Bay my stomping grounds for now. I've also read reports of kingfish and Australian salmon too, though I don't think I would stand a chance with those yet. 

Stay safe, kind regards

Wes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I started learning to fish on Saturday and Sunday with my girlfriend's father, Jeff, and had the great fortune of bumping into Derek and Wes on Sunday morning, and got to learn way way more than I expected. Following on from that, here I am.

Since then I've been doing a fair bit of reading and am looking to get out and practice more. I love cooking and hope to catch fish to eat (Kingfish, Flathead, Snapper) from the shore, but it's also great to just be getting outdoors especially with the lockdown.

I'm based in Cammeray so am likely to be around the Middle Harbour area and maybe up in the Northern Beaches when lockdown lifts.

Peter

• Like 3

Hello Raiders,

I'm a beginner in fishing and I decided to give it a try I soon became addicted and I am always willing to learn. This site seems to have a lot of info. I love filleting fish and even more, eating them. I am only 14 and I am based in Botany bay. I'm hoping to learn more about catching big fish in my area.

Thanks in advance, TE

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, turtleeater said:

Hello Raiders,

I'm a beginner in fishing and I decided to give it a try I soon became addicted and I am always willing to learn. This site seems to have a lot of info. I love filleting fish and even more, eating them. I am only 14 and I am based in Botany bay. I'm hoping to learn more about catching big fish in my area.

Thanks in advance, TE

Hey mate, 

welcome to the site first, trust me as a young bloke as well, 14, this site is full of infomation to help you out. I come from a family were it is known that we cannot fish. So as a self taught angler i can tell you there is a lot of infomation to help you out. Looking forward to see some future posts

• Like 3

1 hour ago, turtleeater said:

Hello Raiders,

Thanks in advance, TE

Hey mate i'm 16 fishing is like that once you start you won't stop. Like the others said theres heaps of info on here just contribute and ask questions and you'll soon enough get pretty good at fishing

• Like 3

On 8/12/2021 at 11:21 AM, BigHorse said:

Hey mate, 

welcome to the site first, trust me as a young bloke as well, 14, this site is full of infomation to help you out. I come from a family were it is known that we cannot fish. So as a self taught angler i can tell you there is a lot of infomation to help you out. Looking forward to see some future posts

Spot on! Best forum thats out there fishing related I reckon! And again also a young bloke here 16 turning 17 soon, you'll meet and speak to plenty of people who are very experienced and happy to pass on their knowledge to young blokes like us and beginners alike! Let us know how you go in your next session coming up!

Jamo

Edited by JamoDamo
  • Like 3

Hi Everyone,

I'm Dan. I fished in NZ for number of years so I can't say I am new to fishing but I am new to fishing in Sydney, Australia. I haven't picked up a fishing rod for about 10 years. I recently found some free time and I want to spend some time with 13 years old son so I decided to start shore fishing again.

I am based in Epping, Sydney so my son and I normally go fishing at little Manly point or  Parsley bay boat ramp. We haven't caught anything decent to take home. We can't wait until this lockdown lifted so we can try our luck.

• Like 1

Hey mate welcome. Fishing in Sydney's awesome, but occasionally it is tricky to find out what works and doesn't in different conditions. Just keep at it and you''l be in for a feed in no time don't worry. If i'm land-based i'll usually have a look at the satellite map the night before for good looking spots for your target species (rocky points, sand-flat drop-offs) and generally try to avoid highly fished areas like boat ramps. Good luck mate

Edited by puddlejumper

8 hours ago, Funfishing said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm Dan. I fished in NZ for number of years so I can't say I am new to fishing but I am new to fishing in Sydney, Australia. I haven't picked up a fishing rod for about 10 years. I recently found some free time and I want to spend some time with 13 years old son so I decided to start shore fishing again.

I am based in Epping, Sydney so my son and I normally go fishing at little Manly point or  Parsley bay boat ramp. We haven't caught anything decent to take home. We can't wait until this lockdown lifted so we can try our luck.

Hi Dan, welcome.

So one of the best things you can do when new here is try & use the information that already exists to help answer your question.

The best way to do this is by using the search tab with & try to be very specific.

So I just put land based into the search bar & got these threads that could be of help-

So have a scout in these threads for ideas & other links within these threads as there are Sydney fishing guides within some of them.

You could also do a search like- northern beaches, or sydney beaches etc, look through then & find something that could contain some info, if not refine your search to use other words or a single word by area.

Good luck :thumbup:

You 

Edited by kingie chaser

10 hours ago, Funfishing said:

Hi Everyone,

Hey mate, welcome to fishraider. I don't fish in the sydney but have a look around for a place to go like paddlejumper. 

I can only recommend this website for any land based fisho's. It is just about water depth around the shoreline.

https://www.navionics.com/aus/charts/

Good luck👍

On 8/18/2021 at 6:05 AM, kingie chaser said:

Hi Dan, welcome.

So one of the best things you can do when new here is try & use the information that already exists to help answer your question.

The best way to do this is by using the search tab with & try to be very specific.

So I just put land based into the search bar & got these threads that could be of help-

So have a scout in these threads for ideas & other links within these threads as there are Sydney fishing guides within some of them.

You could also do a search like- northern beaches, or sydney beaches etc, look through then & find something that could contain some info, if not refine your search to use other words or a single word by area.

Good luck :thumbup:

You 

Thanks everyone for all the good fishing spots and tips.  I will definitely try out after this lockdown.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Great website for information. I am new to fishing will need all the help I can get.

I want to get into land-based fishing in the creeks in and around Hawkesbury or the Hawkesbury itself. Berowra Waters, Bobbin Head and Brooklyn are the places I can think of. If there's more spots, please let me know.

I would like to understand how tides work for fish like Bream and any special gear involved. I might eventually hire boats in these locations but for now land-bases it is. 

Cheers

HP

Edited by HawkesburyParadise
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hey all

New to the forums and still a new fisher trying to figure out the best spots, best lures and all of that kind of stuff.

Will be testing out daiwa double clutch 60mm this weekend near lake Illawarra if there arent storms (havent checked yet)

Got into fishing after tearing my acl in soccer and dislocating my shoulder in bodyboarding so fishing is a great way for me to get outdoors still.

anyone here have a prference of the daiwa double clutch 60mm over the atomic hardz 38mm (or vice versa) aiming for bream and flathead maybe even whiting

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Denisfisho said:

Hey all

New to the forums and still a new fisher trying to figure out the best spots, best lures and all of that kind of stuff.

Will be testing out daiwa double clutch 60mm this weekend near lake Illawarra if there arent storms (havent checked yet)

Got into fishing after tearing my acl in soccer and dislocating my shoulder in bodyboarding so fishing is a great way for me to get outdoors still.

anyone here have a prference of the daiwa double clutch 60mm over the atomic hardz 38mm (or vice versa) aiming for bream and flathead maybe even whiting

Welcome to fishraider

Make sure you do a search on your questions using our search engine. There are tons of discussions on tackle.

Check the ARTICLES section as there are some excellent ones written by expert fishraiders in many subjects

Post in Tackle Talk for a robust discussion on lures

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

I have just gotten back into fishing after nearly a decade of absence. I live in Grafton on the north coast of NSW. I really enjoy fishing skinny creeks for bass. In the saltwater I mainly fish at Yamba and Iluka and target flathead, whiting and luderick. Apart from luderick, I predominantly fish with hardbodies and soft plastics.

Species I am looking forward to trying to catch in the future include whiting (on stickbaits), Trevally, Mangrove Jack and Jew fish. However I don’t have a boat or easy access to one so the jacks maybe out of reach.

I have some experience but welcome suggestions, tips or new locations. 

Other interests include music (especially psychedelic and Jazz (Sun Ra, Davis, Coltrane)), cricket, beer, wildlife and travel (love the tropics).

Looking forward to and hoping to meet some new fishing mates

Regards

Grant

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Subtropic said:

Hi everyone,

I have just gotten back into fishing after nearly a decade of absence. I live in Grafton on the north coast of NSW. I really enjoy fishing skinny creeks for bass. In the saltwater I mainly fish at Yamba and Iluka and target flathead, whiting and luderick. Apart from luderick, I predominantly fish with hardbodies and soft plastics.

Species I am looking forward to trying to catch in the future include whiting (on stickbaits), Trevally, Mangrove Jack and Jew fish. However I don’t have a boat or easy access to one so the jacks maybe out of reach.

I have some experience but welcome suggestions, tips or new locations. 

Other interests include music (especially psychedelic and Jazz (Sun Ra, Davis, Coltrane)), cricket, beer, wildlife and travel (love the tropics).

Looking forward to and hoping to meet some new fishing mates

Regards

Grant

Welcome to FR, I love fishing the Clarence catchment 

Jacks are definetly a legitimate landbased target 

12 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

Welcome to FR, I love fishing the Clarence catchment 

Jacks are definetly a legitimate landbased target 

Thanks Dirvin. Good to hear the Jack’s can be reached from land based spots. I can’t say I know a whole lot about Jacks so plenty to learn about those beasties.

56 minutes ago, Subtropic said:

Thanks Dirvin. Good to hear the Jack’s can be reached from land based spots. I can’t say I know a whole lot about Jacks so plenty to learn about those beasties.

Check out the articles section

• 2 months later...

Hi to all fishraiders 

My name is Scott I am 53 years old just moved to Caringbah about 4 years ago so still learning about fishing in the area we now live in.I have been fishing most of my life when I started fishing off Toukley bridge with a old cork with some line around it to now fishing out of my boat and just recently out of my jet ski most of my time is spent chasing flathead with my adult disabled son in our boat have been fishing with soft plastics for the pass 20 odd years with plenty success so I haven’t fished with bait for a long time I have just found this site and really enjoy reading all the post and learning about surrounding areas and love the fishing reports 

Cheers

Scott

• Like 4