A fight on ultralight gear that i'll never forget! PB Mulloway on lure - Georges River 18/10/22

JamoDamo

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"A great capture that 2 brothers will always remember"

JamoDamo was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 100 points.

G'day Raiders!

Me and my Brother Tom decided we would plan a whole day of fishing just him and me and see what we would go for, our first pit stop of the day was going for carp in a nearby pond close to home, I had fished there recently with @Berrero fishing topwater floating pieces of bread in a burley trail it seriously is awesome fun watching a 70cm carp come up to the surface of the water and slurp down your bait followed by a strong hook set turning into a massive run off into the deep section of the pond, one fish made a screaming 40m run up the canal and then tried to reef me into reeds! Such awesome fun, that afternoon after work we ended up catching 14 fish with 3 fish caught by Chris and 11 by me, we had amassed a crowd of people watching us pull in carp after carp for 2 hours and they were amazed that there were so many in there!

Anyways me and Tom targeted them the same way landing 9 fish together in one day again all the same size 70cm and up all on 6lb leaders and bream gear! Its like fighting freshwater jewies! Later that arvo after we had come home we decided to go have another session targeting some flathead and bream on blades and plastics, first spot unfortunately yielded nothing, we moved onto the next spot in hopes of something better. Arriving at the spot we started fishing the flat with blades and plastics pulling in around 5 flathead but nothing special. The triple hop technique with a little bream blade always seems to yield interest from the flathead in the area with the biggest being <45cm, after pulling another small flathead in I said to to Tom "Watch this, I'll get another baby flathead".

Midway through the retrieve I hook up into something good, a massive headshake ensues followed by a quick run "I'm on! Must be a decent flathead" but whatever is on the end of my line just keeps GOING ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ my drag goes crazy screaming off for 30 seconds! Farout this fish has to be huge! The signature jew headshakes follow after the run, "Tom I think this is a JEW?!" I scream,  and oh boy did it fight, another big run ensues farout i'm nearly spooled! I can see the backing knot! Well here we go... my first spooling :( . I pump and wind and pump and wind gaining line back onto my reel only for another really big run to happen AGAIN! This fish is now starting to take me for a walk along the bank, I can let him run i'm fighting him over a big flat so he doesn't have anything he can get me on! Another three minutes of careful rod work and fretting and there he is! ITS A BLOODY GOOD ONE! Turning on his back I get Tom to take my rod and I lip grip him and lift him ashore! OH MY GOD! Screaming with excitement we congratulate each other, this fish is the one we've needed after countless hookups to big fish we couldn't stop! I estimate him to be around that 90cm mark and jeez he is FAT I can barely hold him!

Working quickly we take some photos and remove the hook from the fish, straight back into the water he goes, reviving him on the beach I can believe it another PB! I am so stoked. He recovers very well and kicks off strongly into the water, watching a silver slab of Georges river Mulloway flicker in the moonlight off he goes back to hunt more baitfish. 

IMG_2003.jpg.c2f7ee039bc548d6803b50df6a8e09b7.jpgIMG_1999.jpg.533ae34c9fbcce2d5ad83b5f0eddbaef.jpg

I am beyond stoked with this fish, I seriously doubted I would be able to land him! So stoked I did with the help of my brother. My 3rd and biggest jewfish on a lure yet! Heres to more fish this summer for all of us! I think its time I start to seriously target these fish on lures! Hopefully I have some more success and another report will be made! Hope you guys enjoyed the report have a good one!!!

Cheers,

JamoDamo

Edited by JamoDamo
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Very well done Jamo Damo. Great report, which captured the essence of the elation at catching all those big Carp, and culminating in the elated description of the battle with the Jewfish. Additionally you were able to fish with your brother and both of you will have the memory of a very special day together on the waters. Top stuff, thanks for sharing it. bn

• Like 1

Great capture Jamo in tight quarters. I can only reiterate Big Neil's comments that you were very fortunate to share the moment with your Bro. As time goes by you will realise the significance of such moments.. but for now just bathe in the glory. Well done.  

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 4:41 AM, Koalaboi said:

Well done!

Cheers mate! 

On 10/19/2022 at 6:42 AM, Green Hornet said:

Great fish Jamo. Its amazing how many big jew are caught on tiny blades.

The carp sessions sound like good fun as well.

It seriously is, my mates are able to get them on soft plastics but I always find myself coming back to the blades I can't fault them especially when you land fish like that! May I add the actual blade was on the outside of the mouth!

On 10/19/2022 at 5:09 PM, Restyle said:

Yewww cracker fish on lightgear 

by far one on the best fights on light gear

Oh hell yeah they are, they just keep running and running and running! Takes a lot of patience to land one this size on 6lb. 

On 10/19/2022 at 8:30 PM, Guinness said:

Great capture Jamo in tight quarters. I can only reiterate Big Neil's comments that you were very fortunate to share the moment with your Bro. As time goes by you will realise the significance of such moments.. but for now just bathe in the glory. Well done. 

Thanks mate, and yes its really good, teaching him to fish has been an interesting experience in itself but when we land fish like this its all worth it!

On 10/21/2022 at 5:25 PM, NoMoreDonuts said:

Amazing fish. Great write up too!

Thanks mate appreciate it!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

Cheers mate! 

It seriously is, my mates are able to get them on soft plastics but I always find myself coming back to the blades I can't fault them especially when you land fish like that! May I add the actual blade was on the outside of the mouth!

Oh hell yeah they are, they just keep running and running and running! Takes a lot of patience to land one this size on 6lb. 

Thanks mate, and yes its really good, teaching him to fish has been an interesting experience in itself but when we land fish like this its all worth it!

Thanks mate appreciate it!

Its funny you mention the blade hooked the jew on the outside of the mouth.

Although I don't do so much these days, I used to chase bream on lures an awful lot and when fishing blades a large percentage of the fish were hooked on the outside of the mouth, particularly the underside around the gill area.

I believe unlike most lures, blades sink quick and the fish don't really get a chance to take them on the drop between hops. Still inquisitive, they "hover" over the blade laying on the bottom and are jagged on the next hop. That's why its imperative, moreso than other styles of lure, the hooks on blades be in top condition and razor sharp.

• Like 3