Brisbane Water Luderick and Flathead

Centrepin

With all the rain I have found it difficult to find a spot that is not washed out with fresh.

I thought about a few haunts near the rip bridge that should get a good amount of salt from Broken Bay.

The areas I fish are around wharfs and it is quite a bit of a side eddy so in smaller high tides the flow is not strong.

The first day was .2-.9 tide at rip bridge and there was a moderate flow. We started 1.5 hours before the top and we got 6 good fish 33-38., promising.

The next day was .2-.8 and much less flow. The fish were so picky. Had to down size floats and baits to get fish but ended up with twelve 33-39.

51247791_BrisbaneWaterBlackies.thumb.jpg.d67f76b2b2d8aa30f4c12a65382b4e8d.jpg

I was so hoping for a bigger tide to make the fishing easier. I got my wish a week later .2-1.0 and had a good run but not a bite till 30 minutes before the top.

Had about 1 hour with bites and again super picky. Went down to size 12 hooks and they bent on bigger fish so not a good plan.

This is still work in progress. I will look for stronger size 12 and 14 hooks.

These fish look very dark so I suspect the winter run has not started yet.

1471816619_EviBlackfish.thumb.jpg.f29a4757a202f8b802dfd57dfa5b96a9.jpg

On the way home I met another Blackfisher man who had just started fishing and he said “there are lots of Flatties about”

I threw Zman grubs for 20 minutes around the channel and caught 4 fish 40 -50.

Now I have a plan B if the blackfish continue to be pesky.

Thanks for reading,

Geoff

• Like 12

A nice feed of fish, plus a few flatties to top it off.

Still dark coloured fish at present, so the residents locals. The blackfish are not in big numbers yet in Port Hacking, so nothing happening here either.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

Good stuff Geoff. The fish look healthy and fat.

As far as hooks go, take a look at Gamakatsu Panfish. I was a long time user of the green Daiichis, but gave the Gamakatsus a go last year and was impressed. They're plenty strong enough and wicked sharp.

• Like 1

If you are looking for an alternate location (doesn't look like you need to though!) Wagstaffe wharf used to be a top spot for luderick. Not sure if it still fishes so well now that the baths are no longer there as they provided a good stand of kelp for the blackies to hide in and there's a strong current flow especially on the run out. Yes I'm gong back a while I know since the baths were there, ha.

Fil

• Like 1

Hi Geoff

Nice fish I went and collected a bit of weed on thurs might have a luderick fish during the week. 

I was up at South West Rocks Anzac week  caught some blackfish in mid 30's in the creek, not a lot but they were ocean fish coming in nice light colour (almost white) and really fat.

Bruce.

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading your report Geoff...sufficiently detailed as to have me right there with you. Your descriptions of the nuances of Luderick fishing...tide, float, hook, and timing were excellent, very easy to understand. I love Luderick fishing with float or fly and wish I was nearer to the coast to accommodate doing it more often.

Nice bit of info regarding the Flathead and an alternative way to get a feed too.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

Thanks all for your comments.

On 5/1/2022 at 8:09 AM, Green Hornet said:

Good stuff Geoff. The fish look healthy and fat.

As far as hooks go, take a look at Gamakatsu Panfish. I was a long time user of the green Daiichis, but gave the Gamakatsus a go last year and was impressed. They're plenty strong enough and wicked sharp.

I have taken the advice on the hooks and will give them a try.

I am looking in this area so the Info on Wagstaff could come in handy. Still to much fresh for the Hawkesbury and they have ast the best time now.

Big Neil. Let me know if you are down and we can see if we can get out.

Bruce,

I was up at South West Rocks Anzac week  caught some blackfish in mid 30's in the creek, not a lot but they were ocean fish coming in nice light colour (almost white) and really fat.

Great to know. We will be up north next month and hope for a good season.

Regards,

Geoff

• Like 1